You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it racist for a white person to paint their face black/brown for fancy dress?

Bjornebye

Is it racist?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is it racist?

• Yes
    • No

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Depends.

That Wikipedia stuff basically says that if people whose ancestors oppressed, killed and enslaved your ancestors for centuries continue the tradition by taking the piss out of whatever sacred symbols you have left, you might reasonablybe pissed off.

I've never been on the receiving end of imperialism, slavery or genocide and nor have my ancestors, so I'm reluctant to be dismissive about the grievances of someone who has. 

The notion of collective intellectual property rights is extremely dubious, culture is mostly up for grabs, it is almost always impossible to determine the exact ownership or origin of particular cultural elements, because of constant interconnected system of cultural influences. Also, the dominant and oppressed relationship is frequently difficult to determine because the world does not consist of a couple of simple relationships or dynamics Anglo-American academia seems forever confined to examining.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, aRdja said:

It certainly doesn’t feel right to me to join in.

Why not, mate?

”Oh, I am a Liverpudlian” 

Liverpudlian = Someone from Liverpool and/or a Liverpool F.C. supporter. You rarely hear Liverpool fans referrered to as Liverpudlians nowadays, but years ago it was Liverpudlians and Evertonians, Reds and Blues.

• Upvote 1

Its a song 'about' a scouser. The only thing you sing about yourself is being a Liverpudlian. Which you are.

To be honest if you genuinely don't feel right singing it then you are a fucking whopper and I would rather you didn't. 

Silly question/conversation. I honestly thought you were taking the piss at first. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Its a song 'about' a scouser. The only thing you sing about yourself is being a Liverpudlian. Which you are.

To be honest if you genuinely don't feel right singing it then you are a fucking whopper and I would rather you didn't. 

Silly question/conversation. I honestly thought you were taking the piss at first. 

Can we add in a verse about Ardj? Something about brekkie, brekkie, brekkie. 

Can I tell you the story of a rich boy.

Who went far away from his home.

To find some food pretty ugly.

Usually served in an old folks home.

What he offered up caused division.

Was discussed call over the land.

Where the beans were there in their thousands.

And tomatoes were normally canned.

Now the brekkie it started next morning.

There was an egg that looked like the sun.

I remember adopted Scouser arDja.

Who paid too much just for fun.

As he sat in the cafe crying crying.

With red sauce running out on his egg.

As he sat in cafe crying crying.

He ordered another round of bread.

Ooh he is a Liverpudlian.

Sometimes sits on the Spion Kop.

He loves some sausage. 

And some bacon too.

And he’s laughed at quite a lot.

He goes to breakfast wearing trainees.

That we don’t like a lot.

• Upvote 14

14 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

He loves some sausage. 

And some bacon too.

223e958c908a710f8deb9017e845a8b8.gif

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I really like the song... but I just think it might look a bit contrived or ‘try hard’ for me to join in,especially amongs locals.. not being from the country let alone the city. There are plenty of other songs that I like that I feel comfortable joining in. 

38 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

He loves some sausage. 

And some bacon too.

Amazing work that.

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I really like the song... but I just think it might look a bit contrived or ‘try hard’ for me to join in,especially amongs locals.. not being from the country let alone the city. There are plenty of other songs that I like that I feel comfortable joining in. 

Mate its a song. Sing it. Loud 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Just go with it and enjoy yourself.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SasaS said:

The notion of collective intellectual property rights is extremely dubious, culture is mostly up for grabs, it is almost always impossible to determine the exact ownership or origin of particular cultural elements, because of constant interconnected system of cultural influences. Also, the dominant and oppressed relationship is frequently difficult to determine because the world does not consist of a couple of simple relationships or dynamics Anglo-American academia seems forever confined to examining.

It's nothing to do with IPR and it only applies to areas where cultural origins are beyond doubt.

As for the relationship between the dominant and oppressed culture, I can't think of a single example where it's anything but crystal clear: we are specifically talking about the legacies of colonialism, slavery and genocide.  There are no grey areas in those relationships.