You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it racist for a white person to paint their face black/brown for fancy dress?

Bjornebye

Is it racist?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is it racist?

• Yes
    • No

I don't think he's a racist in the traditional sense, i.e he holds beliefs about race/colour. 

Trump is a pretty simple character, either through upbringing or his mental wiring - possibly both - all he cares about, and I mean ALL he cares about, is Donald Trump. 

If he had to choose who to save from a fire, himself or all of his kids, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind he'd save himself. 

That's probably why he's scared of germs, it's a pretty well known phenomenon that people who consider themselves untouchable are pretty much only scared of death and/or disease. That's why a lot of them profess to love God (as Putin does), not because they're religious but because they're hedging their bets, if God exists - they want him to have their back. 

Trump would do and say anything to get his own way, whether that was deporting all migrants or deporting all whites (except himself), it wouldn't matter, as long as it served his agenda. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, moof said:

I mean, he just is racist. It’s really that simple 

I'm not that arsed either way, because he's a cunt regardless, but it depends how you define racism. Saying racist things or actually genuinely holding those opinions. If the Republican power brokers were all Black Panthers Trump would demonise whites. 

Right. But who can know what genuinely held beliefs he has? There’s always this reticence to describe people as racist, even when there’s reams of evidence to back it up. Like, he says and does all these racist things, but he doesn’t deserve the label ‘racist’? 

With the blackface stuff, I disagree with what most of you are saying, I think it’s pretty fucking racist. But whatever.

With trump there can be no arguments. 

For me it's not about what he deserves, he is a rich white guy in his 70s so I guess he has said things in his life that would be classified as racist by today's standards. His emergence has definitely emboldened racist groups and opinions. But I feel that the racist label is just a lazy and convenient way to discredit or disqualify him, rather than going into a proper analysis of entire right wing (and beyond) populism and Trump as a political phenomenon. He is several things (that are more important) before he is a racist. He is not driven by racist views, he is just frequently using people who hold them or refusing to unequivocally distance himself from them, like over Charlottesville (which I admit had me thinking I might be wrong) because they voted for him.    

• Upvote 2

He says things today that are racist by any standard. You can’t just say loads of racist shit your entire life, surround yourself with racists, court racists to advance your position, stoke up the worst fears of racists, coddle violent white nationalists, incite violence against “minorities” and get to claim you’re not a fucking racist. He’s a racist, abusive, narcissistic orange cunt who wants to fuck his daughter. It shouldn’t be too hard for us to agree on that. 

Its this idea that being labelled a racist is somehow worse than saying and doing all the racist shit that annoys me. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, moof said:

He says things today that are racist by any standard. You can’t just say loads of racist shit your entire life, surround yourself with racists, court racists to advance your position, stoke up the worst fears of racists, coddle violent white nationalists, incite violence against “minorities” and get to claim you’re not a fucking racist. He’s a racist, abusive, narcissistic orange cunt who wants to fuck his daughter. It shouldn’t be too hard for us to agree on that. 

Its this idea that being labelled a racist is somehow worse than saying and doing all the racist shit that annoys me. 

Whatever gave you that idea? My point is, I guess, that if your (someone's) response to the question "what is wrong about Trump" is "he's racist" you are being intellectually lazy and incorrect. 

Are we now debating whether or not Trump is a racist? These are just the latest in a long line of witness accounts of him not being racist.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/11/michael-cohen-trump-racist-language

I think there are even recordings of him throwing out the n-word on the set of the Apprentice a none racist way.

He's equally as awkward when talking about shooting the migrant caravan which is still south of Mexico. His bigotry just doesn't appear to be genuine...

Christ on a bike! 

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Whatever gave you that idea? My point is, I guess, that if your (someone's) response to the question "what is wrong about Trump" is "he's racist" you are being intellectually lazy and incorrect. 

It’s one of the many things wrong about him. The fuck?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hades said:

Let's define racism as someone willing to die or kill for their race. A slight fear of the out-group shouldn't count as racism. That's just nepotism, which is far more insidious.

No, let's not.  That definition excuses everything short of murderous intent.  So, denying people the right to vote, the right to a job, to a decent education, to freedom from police harassment, to decent housing, etc. would all be "not racism" by your definition.

In UK law, racism is "less favourable treatment on grounds of colour, race, or ethnic or national origins".   That's a more sensible and useful - and less dangerous - definition than yours.

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2018 at 3:15 PM, Aventus said:

If a black guy cracks a joke about me being a robbing scouse bastard, am I allowed to crack a joke about him being a robbing black bastard? 

No, you crack a joke about how he has a massive penis and that he's probably pretty athletic. 

• Upvote 2

Trump has the power and prestige with being the American president (*American exceptionalism *). On that basis alone he is more dangerous than the knuckle dragging common person who shouts racist epithets.

But when you look through even recent history across the world, politics and whipping up division on difference is not something unique to Trump.  However I think his legacy will be smashing the Overton window on what is acceptable discourse and behaviour in public life. 

When they all used to line up for the Republican preliminaries debates, I don't remember the public thinking, wow, that Trump, he is a racist, compared to the rest of them.

People argue as if they are blissfully unaware of the level of racism that was almost normal in the US 30, 40, 50 years ago.  As I said, he is a rich white guy in his 70s riding the right wing populist vote. His racism is consistent with that.