You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it racist for a white person to paint their face black/brown for fancy dress?

Bjornebye

Is it racist?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is it racist?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I don't see why it would "not end well" if people decided to stop acting like dicks to other people.

What does this sentence have to do with me or anything I said? It’s fucking annoying as shit when you do that. In fact, I’m offended by it, so I guess you’ll instantly be stopping it?

The rest of your post is just total nonsense, in my view. I just really cannot be fucked making an argument against something that takes a few minutes to google, or even just read the post that SD made in this thread. It’s incredibly tedious. The level of debate in this forum is so low right now, even a tedious twat like me can’t be bothered with it. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

What does this sentence have to do with me or anything I said? It’s fucking annoying as shit when you do that. In fact, I’m offended by it, so I guess you’ll instantly be stopping it?

The rest of your post is just total nonsense, in my view. I just really cannot be fucked making an argument against something that takes a few minutes to google, or even just read the post that SD made in this thread. It’s incredibly tedious. The level of debate in this forum is so low right now, even a tedious twat like me can’t be bothered with it. 

Even in America, and Southern American states flying the Confederate Flag is seen as controversial though right?

Pretty sure there's been loads of argie bargie about states stopping flying it above their capitol buildings due the inherent association with white supremacy, slavery and racism.

Why do you then think that AoT is posting total nonsense?  

Would you think that someone flying a Nazi flag outside a synagogue was not racist?

I generally think blackfacing is a cunt's trick, despite a) doing it myself as an 18 year old at a fancy dress party dressing up as Chef from south park (I didn't know better) and b) thinking this guy is brilliant:

image.png

So I probably wouldn't listen to me.

24 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I personally think it is racist,or else we'd still have the likes of the Black and White Minstrel show still going strong. It is racist but it took a while for us to realise that it was and now people are correctly called out on it.

That's a caricature though. If I went in fancy dress as Jim McDonald I'd at least try and attempt his accent, there'd be a big difference between that and going as the 1920s caricature of an Irishman that used to be depicted on posters resembling something between a man and a chimp.

If you dress as Winston from Ghostbusters that's genuine affection for a heroic character in a classic film. Same as if you went as black panther - my mate's kid is white and he's his favourite super hero, what would be wrong with that?

7 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Where do we all stand on this? 

Screenshot_20181101-234827.jpg

For Halloween or just for lols? Not that it matters, as I think it’s wrong either way.. but surely you could easily find a scarier costume than an African immigrant trying to make a living.. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

That's a caricature though. If I went in fancy dress as Jim McDonald I'd at least try and attempt his accent, there'd be a big difference between that and going as the 1920s caricature of an Irishman that used to be depicted on posters resembling something between a man and a chimp.

If you dress as Winston from Ghostbusters that's genuine affection for a heroic character in a classic film. Same as if you went as black panther - my mate's kid is white and he's his favourite super hero, what would be wrong with that?

You could put on a black panther costume without blacking up your face and it’d still look legit IMO. 

Story from 21st December 2016...

A non-League footballer sparked controversy when pictures emerged of him blacked up for the club's Christmas party.

James Norwood, who has netted nine times for the National League side this season, posted the picture to his own Instagram account, where it was spotted by fans.

He also tweeted the picture with the caption: 'great Xmas do with the boys.. level - fancy dress - completed'.

3B8FC71A00000578-0-image-a-54_1482333429

Norwood has since deleted the picture from both social media accounts, and made them both private.

8 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I can't even be arsed to post the Vic & Bob handbags picture. 

Grow up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

If the character you speak of is black then you just have to focus on whatever other features its known for rather than skin colour.

You also have a strange fascination with referencing soap opera characters in most conversations too,although at least I've heard of this one.

So had some time to think on this and I just view it through social norms that evolve over time. An act can be wrong without being racist and that doesn't mean we should blackup because it's not racist. I don't view people raising the topic and being offended as irrational but if people are then making sweeping statements like pc gone mad and the UK is racist in 2018 blah blah off the back of blackingup for me that is irrational .

By the way there are no laws that I am aware of and nobody is campaigning for legislation to say you can't blackup nobody is stopping anyone from doing so if anyone wants to. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

So had some time to think on this and I just view it through social norms that evolve over time. An act can be wrong without being racist and that doesn't mean we should blackup because it's not racist. I don't view people raising the topic and being offended as irrational but if people are then making sweeping statements like pc gone mad and the UK is racist in 2018 blah blah off the back of blackingup for me that is irrational .

By the way there are no laws that I am aware of and nobody is campaigning for legislation to say you can't blackup nobody is stopping anyone from doing so if anyone wants to. 

Agreed with this post. Similar to an SS uniform IMO, there’s nothing particularly “racist” about wearing that for Halloween. However it’s a bit insensitive towards jews, gypsies and people with disabilities. 

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Agreed with this post. Similar to an SS uniform IMO, there’s nothing particularly “racist” about wearing that for Halloween. However it’s a bit insensitive towards jews, gypsies and people with disabilities. 

And twins...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30933718

People tend to forget what horrible cunts the Nazis (& Mengele in particular) were to twins.

Not that I'm offended by an SS Uniform personally.

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

And twins...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30933718

People tend to forget what horrible cunts the Nazis (& Mengele in particular) were to twins.

Not that I'm offended by an SS Uniform personally.

Communists and Union Leaders were also on their giant list of 'People to Hate and Kill.'

30 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Yeah, I don't care. Let them crack on. If they want to wipe me out, I'll start having an issue with it. Some teen pushing the limits at a party? No. 

18 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, I don't care. Let them crack on. If they want to wipe me out, I'll start having an issue with it. Some teen pushing the limits at a party? No. 

I hesitate to ask for fear of derailing the thread over a comment you have made to ardja and obviously no-one else, but being a nosy cunt, are you a gypsy?

51 minutes ago, skend04 said:

When did Winston's skin colour become part of his outfit in Ghostbusters?? I'm actually shocked, I didn't realise it was an actor blacking up.

But he's black? What's wrong with someone being black and someone trying to look like them by also being black?