You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it racist for a white person to paint their face black/brown for fancy dress?

Bjornebye

Is it racist?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is it racist?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Everyone doing fancy dress is a cunt. 

Hasn't the kid blackening up for a school fancy dress and dressing as Mo Salah hit the headlines once again? I'd say that a foo****l shirt with Salah on the back eliminates any need for a change in skin colour myself. Not to mention the trademark beard and tight curly hair.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I don’t think it’s racist at all. The whole issue of race has escalated so much now that you have to stop and think about loads of little things to make sure you’re not perceived to be on the wrong side of it.

It shouldn't be about how you're perceived. It should be about finding out whether what you're thinking of doing or saying is likely to cause legitimate offence and then deciding whether or not you want to go ahead and do it anyway. 

It's more about who you are than what some random stranger on Twitter thinks of your actions. 

4 hours ago, skend04 said:

I've done fancy dress once or twice. The best one was where we went on a stag do to Ibiza and all dressed up as JCVD from his Coors adverts complete with the wig and double denim. The black and brown ones in the group, we didn't find it necessary to whiten ourselves up. That's because we aren't cunts. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

If someone was to start a thread on Windrush or people of colour being more affected by the criminal system or the educational system. Compared to a thread on white people being silenced and having to consider how they should behave/react would always get more comments. Not sure why that is but food for thought. 

16 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

If someone was to start a thread on Windrush or people of colour being more affected by the criminal system or the educational system. Compared to a thread on white people being silenced and having to consider how they should behave/react would always get more comments. Not sure why that is but food for thought. 

Surely it would be because more people would be in agreement with the general gist of the thread. Just like how the match threads would get more comments when we lose compared to when we win.

14 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Plenty of historical context for Windrush families.

I googled a few blackfaces and some of the costumes seem to be in poor taste for me. Blacking up dancing and holding a black lives matter banner is one example of deliberately looking to mock and offend.  Is it that maybe .... of them are wrong but there is a concentration on the innocuous ones to ram the point that look people are so easily offended. I haven't looked into it that much so not sure if we are being manipulated.

For me anyone blacking up looks fucking daft. I never really thought much about blacking up but is it the literal blacking up that people are being offended by? Or is it a bit more complex than the literal costume.

I'm guessing that as society has long defined black and Asian people as solely defined by the colour of their skin so this then becomes a sensitive topic. There was a Diane Abbott one at the darts the punchline was she was holding a banner saying 190. But instead of blacking up could they have just given the person a nametag saying Diane or Shadow Home Secretary, MP. Or is it that being black solely defines Diane Abbott in the eyes of many, dunno.

Darts-fan-dresses-up-in-blackface-as-Dia

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

One of my mates blacked up as Osama Bin Laden about 6 weeks after 9/11 and got into a fight with someone in a fat suit dressed as Pavarotti at a fancy dress party.

Wasn’t to do with the blacking up though, Pavarotti was just a dickhead.

I remember seeing some lad dressed up as Steve Irwin a week or so after Irwin got stingrayed. Some other lad got really offended and ended up banging the lad out. Ridiculous. It was in a Walkabout like. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Brownie said:

I don’t think it’s racist at all. The whole issue of race has escalated so much now that you have to stop and think about loads of little things to make sure you’re not perceived to be on the wrong side of it.

Yeah, what a pain in the arse that must be for us white guys 

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I think it all has more to do with power now than actually being offended.

Are you saying that people claiming to be offended are doing so just to exercise power over those they claim are offensive?

I'm sure that happens sometimes; but I still reckon that the majority of cases of people blacking up involves racist dickheads deliberately trying to offend people. 

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Are you saying that people claiming to be offended are doing so just to exercise power over those they claim are offensive?

I'm sure that happens sometimes; but I still reckon that the majority of cases of people blacking up involves racist dickheads deliberately trying to offend people. 

I personally wouldn't do it just because I couldn't be arsed with the hassle if someone did take offence but... I don't think it is racist unless of course someone goes as a Minstrel e.g.. 

6 hours ago, skend04 said:

I've done fancy dress once or twice. The best one was where we went on a stag do to Ibiza and all dressed up as JCVD from his Coors adverts complete with the wig and double denim. The black and brown ones in the group, we didn't find it necessary to whiten ourselves up. That's because we aren't cunts. Hope this helps.

That's because Van Damme's skin looks like it's made of leather.