You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Souness (Poll)

Bjornebye

Should Souness be forgiven?   

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should Souness be forgiven?

• Yes. Great player for us and made a mistake that he clearly regrets.
    • No. Great player for us but overstepped the mark and it is unforgivable.

Quite a heartfelt bit with him last night on MNF about how he regrets talking with the s*n and how much he loves the club. Without a doubt one of the best players the club has ever had.

Should he be forgiven or was it too far? Bear in mind the interview was only a couple of years after Hillsborough (not that it should matter) and they delayed the release until the anniversary. Terrible manager for us , sold a load of decent players and signed shite. we haven't won a title since he took over at the club. 

Thoughts? 

Souness is one of my favourite Liverpool players of all time. I’m not sure I buy the stuff about him loving the club, though. He would have been manager of Manchester United, had Michael Knighton and David Murray bought Martin Edwards’ shares. I know Matt Busby had also been Liverpool captain before managing them, but those were different times. 

Didn’t he do the interview at the time of his life or death heart op, not being funny like but your head must be blasted at a time like that, desperate to leave as much to his family maybe? I know it doesn’t it make it right but he ultimately gave the money to charity, it was a long, long time ago and he clearly regrets it, draw a line under it for me.

• Upvote 2

Unbelievable player the greatest captain this club has ever had.

He made a mistake and he has spoken in more than one occasion that he regrets what happened and as someone has said he was in a life or death situation. So yes he should be forgiven he's not the enemy the shitty rag is.

As I said I can forgive him for what happened but i can't forgive him for Julian Dicks

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Didn’t he do the interview at the time of his life or death heart op, not being funny like but your head must be blasted at a time like that, desperate to leave as much to his family maybe? I know it doesn’t it make it right but he ultimately gave the money to charity, it was a long, long time ago and he clearly regrets it, draw a line under it for me.

Mike Ellis, the rag’s Merseyside reporter, wrote Souness’s autobiography, six or seven years later, in 1999.

I am sure if the parents of murdered children can forgive their child's killer, Liverpool supporters can forgive Graeme Souness.

Bloody hell.

He made a big mistake.  He is sorry.  He regrets it. 

See wrong, address it, deal with it, move on.

His past time with Liverpool isn't relevant to forgiveness, but while we're on the subject, he was one of the greatest ever.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, razor said:

I am sure if the parents of murdered children can forgive their child's killer, Liverpool supporters can forgive Graeme Souness.

Bloody hell.

He made a big mistake.  He is sorry.  He regrets it. 

See wrong, address it, deal with it, move on.

His past time with Liverpool isn't relevant to forgiveness, but while we're on the subject, he was one of the greatest ever.

Exactly

Shouldn't have taken the job as he was on a hiding to nothing really. One thing he got grief for for years was the boot room getting knocked down. There has always been a story of him ordering it to be knocked down which made him even more unpopular.

Turns out it was just a lie and the club knocked it down to use the space for a bigger media centre.

Pretty incredible mistake to make considering he was the manager of the club at the time and should have known better than anybody the depth of supporters feeling towards that rag. The fact he was at Rangers in 1989 doesn't change anything, it's not like he was completely of touch with the fallout from what was printed. 

That being said, he does seem to genuinely regret what he did. 

He's a legend and one of our greatest ever players. He made a massive mistake for which he's apologised on more than a few occasions and it definitely seems sincere to me. 

As a manager he was a disaster, about the only positive from his time apart from the FA Cup was bringing through Fowler and Macca.

As I said on another thread earlier he clearly loves the club, if you listen to any of his punditry on Sky it shines through more and more.

I wish I’d seen the full bit he did last night, the clip I saw this morning was pretty moving. 

I remember him as a player and what a player he was.

I’m shocked he was only 38 at the time of his heart bypass, funny I don’t remember he was that young at the time! Notice he’s been wearing his British Heart Foundation badge a lot recently.

Forgiven for me.

• Upvote 1