You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Red Star Belgrade (24/10) Champions League

Bjornebye

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

But minor niggles aside that was decent tonight.

We've had some bigger niggles in the last month or so, and I feel like we put a good few of them to bed today. 

Salah getting a couple, Mane scoring, Fabinho bossing the Midfield, regaining our attacking fluidity, all stuff that we've missed. 

When was the last match where Mane, Firmino, and Salah all scored? Feels like it's been a while. 

5 minutes ago, Aventus said:

We've had some bigger niggles in the last month or so, and I feel like we put a good few of them to bed today. 

Salah getting a couple, Mane scoring, Fabinho bossing the Midfield, regaining our attacking fluidity, all stuff that we've missed. 

When was the last match where Mane, Firmino, and Salah all scored? Feels like it's been a while. 

Yeah - nice to see.

The midfield was just so much better tonight and that knitted things together

I was sat in the seats usually reserved for away fans. Fucking hell, maybe it's just those seats that make people act like small-time Wools and meffs!

Decent performance against shit opposition.  Gini looked like everything Henderson is supposed to be. 

Same again on Saturday, please.

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I was sat in the seats usually reserved for away fans. Fucking hell, maybe it's just those seats that make people act like small-time Wools and meffs!

Decent performance against shit opposition.  Gini looked like everything Henderson is supposed to be. 

Same again on Saturday, please.

Did you sing sign on and where yer famous atmosphere at the people in the paddock?

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Did you sing sign on and where yer famous atmosphere at the people in the paddock?

I was tempted. 

Unlike the people around me, I refrained from singing "Who the fucking hell are you?" and from chanting "Who are ya?"

I gave up on "When the Reds go marching in" after its 10th airing in the first half hour; similar story with "We've conquered all of Europe" ("Olé, olé, olé" - of course).

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I was tempted. 

Unlike the people around me, I refrained from singing "Who the fucking hell are you?" and from chanting "Who are ya?"

I gave up on "When the Reds go marching in" after its 10th airing in the first half hour; similar story with "We've conquered all of Europe" ("Olé, olé, olé" - of course).

Frigging hell...sounds grim.

That ole instead of allez is real pet hate of mine.

Excellent. Now to take advantage of getting to play these again before the other two and really open up a few points on at least one of them. As pleasing as anything was seeing some of the squad players contribute nicely tonight and even Lallana get some much-needed game time. 

It's probably what one would describe as a 'breakout' game for Fabinho. Now to see something similar soonish from Keita. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, A_S said:

Excellent. Now to take advantage of getting to play these again before the other two and really open up a few points on at least one of them. As pleasing as anything was seeing some of the squad players contribute nicely tonight and even Lallana get some much-needed game time. 

It's probably what one would describe as a 'breakout' game for Fabinho. Now to see something similar soonish from Keita. 

Keita back soon? 

What are the chances of him playing the second leg? Playing these might do him the same favour as it did Fab. 

Enjoyed that, it was so easy. We could have scored a dozen goals if we were a bit sharper and really went for it. Fabinho was imperious after a dodgy start to the game but if he can transfer that form against the top sides, we'll have a hell of a player on our hands.

I remember last season we played West Ham away & played a 4-2-2-2 / 4-2-3-1 fluid formation.

What was consistent was it was very much a double pivot (or two 6s as Klopp said last night after the game), which gave the platform for the front four to play around.  

I think it does suit a lot of our players.  I also think it is the right formation when we play weaker opponents as it allows us to play an extra attacking player. 

In the big games, I'm not sure we'd play it - until we are completely well drilled and used to it.

But in this patch of weaker games (Bar Arsenal) coming up, I think we might see it a lot.  It helps gets Shaqiri into the team, as well as our other Fab three.

But I also think a double pivot suits a lot of our CMs.  Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita & Henderson all do their best work in it for me.  Only Milner would I say it doesn't suit as much as he does like to roam & in a double pivot that can really leave the team & in CM partner exposed if done too often.  As we found in the Europa League Final vs Sevilla.

But I do feel the double pivot not only helped Fabinho get into the side & look better.  I feel it will be the same for Naby as that's the formation he is used to as well.  

The three in CM is a very hard to get used to, given the tough run of games we had initially I think that's why we saw more of the players used to it in Henderson, Milner & Gini.  We've got a nice bunch of fixtures on paper & I feel the double pivot might help our attack more, getting Shaqiri in the team who is very creative (4 assists in four games?), but it also suits Naby & Fabinho.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, LF:D said:

I remember last season we played West Ham away & played a 4-2-2-2 / 4-2-3-1 fluid formation.

What was consistent was it was very much a double pivot (or two 6s as Klopp said last night after the game), which gave the platform for the front four to play around.  

I think it does suit a lot of our players.  I also think it is the right formation when we play weaker opponents as it allows us to play an extra attacking player. 

In the big games, I'm not sure we'd play it - until we are completely well drilled and used to it.

But in this patch of weaker games (Bar Arsenal) coming up, I think we might see it a lot.  It helps gets Shaqiri into the team, as well as our other Fab three.

But I also think a double pivot suits a lot of our CMs.  Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita & Henderson all do their best work in it for me.  Only Milner would I say it doesn't suit as much as he does like to roam & in a double pivot that can really leave the team & in CM partner exposed if done too often.  As we found in the Europa League Final vs Sevilla.

But I do feel the double pivot not only helped Fabinho get into the side & look better.  I feel it will be the same for Naby as that's the formation he is used to as well.  

The three in CM is a very hard to get used to, given the tough run of games we had initially I think that's why we saw more of the players used to it in Henderson, Milner & Gini.  We've got a nice bunch of fixtures on paper & I feel the double pivot might help our attack more, getting Shaqiri in the team who is very creative (4 assists in four games?), but it also suits Naby & Fabinho.

The amount of times you said double pivot stresses me out. 

• Upvote 2