You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Reds set transfer fee for Origi

tlw content

If there is an example of a player currently in the footballing wilderness then Divock Origi would certainly fit that description.

There was a time not too long ago when the powerfully built Belgian striker looked to have a very big future with the Reds.

Known as a manager who puts a heavy priority on the work rate of his players, Jurgen Klopp took an instant shine to Origi and the youngster, who was in his first full season in English football, was given a great share of responsibility in leading the front line and he duly delivered.

The striker played a key role in getting the team to the final of the Europa League and there was a stretch during the following season when he scored four league goals in as many games that it appeared we had another emerging star striker on our books.

The second half of the 2016/7 season saw more opportunities come his way but it appeared he had lost some of his previous spark and complacency had become part of his mindset.

The start of last season saw Mo Salah arrive at the club and the rest as they say is history. 

It soon became clear that Origi had slipped down the pecking order and needed first team football on a consistent basis.

However, a season-long loan to Wolfsberg did not hold happy memories with the Bundesliga side struggling throughout the season and only securing their top-tier status courtesy of a relegation play-off. 

Origi returned to Melwood this season but tellingly has yet to make a matchday squad this season and is in a sort of no-mans-land, not knowing if or when an opportunity will come next.

The Liverpool Echo is reporting that the Reds will demand a transfer fee of excess of £20 million for the striker with a couple of Premier League clubs in Wolves and Everton reportedly interested.

While a move across Stanley Park would seem unlikely for obvious reasons, signing with the ambitious Midlands club could be just the move Origi needs to kickstart a stalling career.

origi1_600.jpg

Wolves are expected to put a bid in for the striker in January and it would be the second time that they have done so in a matter of months as they were prepared to pay £22 million in the summer.

Hovever Origi made it clear that he was not interested in moving to the newly promoted club at the time.

It remains to be seen whether their impressive start to the season has changed the mindset of the 23 year-old.

You only get a short shelf life to make a career for yourself and Origi will be smart to take them up on their offer this time around.

View full article

I don't think he has done too much wrong really. It's a shame he hasn't had any opportunities this season to see whether he can improve; given his young age I think he could possibly turn out a very good player but unfortunately that is not going to be in a Liverpool shirt. Definitely one we might regret dumping. 

He’s nowhere near good enough technically to be started for a Klopp side.  There’s similarities between him and Benteke.  The same as Benteke I doubt it’s an application issue.  He will do well for a side like Wolves I imagine but I doubt he will ever score 15 league goals in a season.

6 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Surprised he hasn't been linked with Barcelona yet.

Don't worry, they will get to him eventually. We have a while squad of players to work their way through. 

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

They haven't actually found him yet. 

Him and Markovic are actually having a holiday in the Lake District at the moment.

I just read that Markovic is part of the under 23 set up and the coach is singing his praises about how professional he is and how the young players are benefitting from having him around. 

They know how to make a player look good before trying to sell him, don't they? 

Liverpool Under-23s boss Neil Critchley has lifted the lid on Lazar Markovic’s attitude since being move to the youth team.

Markovic joined Anfield for £20million, but found himself an outcast and was sent to train with the Academy by Jurgen Klopp since he turned down a summer move to Anderlecht back on deadline day.

The Serbian, who is out of contract next summer, last made a senior appearance for the Reds against QPR in May 2015.

“Lazar has been training with us for a while now and I’ve got to say he’s been brilliant to work with,” Critchley told the ECHO.

“We’ve enjoyed having him around and he’s been great with the young lads.

“He’s humble, he listens to what’s asked of him and he’s been professional. He gets on well with the other players. He played as a centre-forward against Arsenal and on the right wing against West Brom.

“We don’t know how long he will be with us. Eventually, I’m sure his career will go on a different path but while he’s here we want everyone to benefit.”