You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Film Draft - Take 2

LF:D

Just now, Pidge said:

I'm trying to just stick to films that have stood up to several viewings.  Which is difficult because there aren't many of the big films lately I've seen at all, let alone multiple times.

Yeah barring a few comic book ones and wolf of wall street not many in the past 10 years i have watched a few times

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah barring a few comic book ones and wolf of wall street not many in the past 10 years i have watched a few times

Interesting. 

Sounds like the Foreign Category is easy for you.  I found that really tough.  Unlike the more modern one. where as for you it's the opposite.

I think we did a good mixture of categories.

2 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

I can really only think of one film from the 10s I've seen about 4/5 times and that's mainly because it's never off the TV. Some others I've seen 2 or 3 times

Do you think 10s is a bad decade for films then?  So far...

Foreign and black and white are totally the opposite for me.  But I'm still toying with whether I'm going for my foreign language or 2010s pick (which I watched again last night) as one of my picks (the other is something else and pretty much locked in).  Don't want anyone stealing my foreign language one because I could go proper film nerd with backups if I'm not careful. 

I don't think the past 8 years has been anything special overall.

I like the comic book films but there has been too many to keep them original, you get a few stand outs but i don't think they stand up and will not be univerally loved. You get a few that come out with loads of buzz but i doubt 10-20 years down the line that people will go back to them the way they do with the classics. I wonder how much of that is down to special effects. So many films are packed with them and imho so many just look okay. Look at Jaws, the lack of effects and the fact the shark kept malfunctioning in the salt water made Speilberg look to make the film a different way and it made the film for me. The lack of seeing the shark and the menacing presence and soundtrack is what makes that film. Had they had the effects to go digital them it would have turned into a blood fest and lost what makes it a classic

Have to say I'm enjoying this, scratching the cinephile itch of just thinking about awesome films, whether other people will have enjoyed them as well and whether they stand up in the context of the consensus view.

There have been some great films in recent years, but not many I've seen multiple times and a few I should have seen that I never have.  I think Netflix and prime have fucked it as much as anything, I'm more likely to just wait for things to hit the service years down the line than rush to the cinema.

My town's getting two new cinemas next year (one multiplex, one arthouse). Can't wait. 

4 minutes ago, LF:D said:

Do you think 10s is a bad decade for films then?  So far...

I don't know tbh - I don't tend to watch a lot of new films is mainly what it is. I'm not especially drawn to new releases. 

I also think the foreign language one is an OK category, same as the black and white. I definitely have better strength in depth in those than the 10s. Animation is a tricky one for me. 

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Have to say I'm enjoying this, scratching the cinephile itch of just thinking about awesome films, whether other people will have enjoyed them as well and whether they stand up in the context of the consensus view.

This. Trying to balance the choices I want to go for and those I think people will have seen and will vote for. Great draft idea.

The Prime and Netflix issue is a good shout but so too is Network TV.

since the late 90s we have seen lots of great long running shows. The money in them and the writing talent seem to go that way as much as using TV as a platform to get to the movie industry now. You see things on TV that would never have been done on a tv budget these days. Things like game of thrones would have been a condensed film trilogy and made like the old sword and sandals epics of the 60s. Over the past 15/20 years we have had Sopranos,Wire,GOT,24 and loads of other good series

4 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

This. Trying to balance the choices I want to go for and those I think people will have seen and will vote for. Great draft idea.

I’m just picking stuff Iike. I considered Goodfellas, as I know it’s a highly rated film and well thought of on here. Decided against it because I’ve only watched it once and it wasn’t really my thing.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, LF:D said:

Something different.  

A TV Shows Draft would be good too.

Would be a little thin on the ground later on

If you didn't get a top 4 or 5 pick you would be fucked and you would end up with some serious shite getting picked by round 3

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’m just picking stuff Iike. I considered Goodfellas, as I know it’s a highly rated film and well thought of on here. Decided against it because I’ve only watched it once and it wasn’t really my thing.

You fucking mutt