You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Huddersfield(a) PL- match thread

LFC 6 Times

48 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

The decision to extend Klopp's contract has backfired.

It's shocking that he has put has joint top of the league. Who does he think he is? Next he will be putting beans on a fry-up and inviting wools to matches. 

15 hours ago, Aventus said:

Stop using facts to win arguments. 

I heard this morning that we could 'potentially' be the first. I assumed we'd achieved that by keeping the clean sheet.

I didn't realise City had a similar stat. 

This is the first Liverpool team to achieve that record.

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

I couldn’t watch the game, was going to find a full match replay but from all the post-match comments, a short clip of Salah’s goal would probably suffice.

It really wasn’t that bad. It was quite an entertaining game even though we didn’t play particularly well and butchered a load of chances. I enjoy watching us defend as much as I enjoy watching us attack, these days

11 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's great to have to read barely literate garbage like this because some people can't accept that bad performances will be pointed out on the internet when they happen. Must feel phenomenal to be on that high a horse. 

Bad performances happen, it’s the extent of some of the criticism by certain posters. I remember this time last year, the likes of 1892-LFCwasborn and Funnnee were extremely OTT in their criticism, the former even wanting Klopp sacked!!! It’s when the criticism isn’t constructive and is totally OTT that it gets frustrating. Fuck all to do with being on a high horse or being a superfan. Whether we like it or not, some of our fans are self entitled, Sky generation knobs. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Bad performances happen, it’s the extent of some of the criticism by certain posters. I remember this time last year, the likes of 1892-LFCwasborn and Funnnee were extremely OTT in their criticism, the former even wanting Klopp sacked!!! It’s when the criticism isn’t constructive and is totally OTT that it gets frustrating. Fuck all to do with being on a high horse or being a superfan. Whether we like it or not, some of our fans are self entitled, Sky generation knobs. 

There was nothing OTT about the criticism following this game. We were for the most part outfought and for portions of the game, outplayed by an abysmal Huddersfield side. There was zero chemistry attacking wise, the counter attacking was atrocious and before Henderson was mercifully subbed off, we were getting bossed in the midfield. Those are valid observations, not overreactions.

There were a few positives too, like the fact that the introduction of Wijnaldum coincided with the fact that we held on to the ball better and that we kept another clean sheet. And people can look at other factors like that we're coming off an international break and that there was turnover in the side. But most people are just commenting on what they saw, and objectively what they saw was ugly. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Bad performances happen, it’s the extent of some of the criticism by certain posters. I remember this time last year, the likes of 1892-LFCwasborn and Funnnee were extremely OTT in their criticism, the former even wanting Klopp sacked!!! It’s when the criticism isn’t constructive and is totally OTT that it gets frustrating. Fuck all to do with being on a high horse or being a superfan. Whether we like it or not, some of our fans are self entitled, Sky generation knobs

I can not tell you how obscene this phrase is. I've seen it many times and it seems to suggest that some people's opinions are completely irrelevant simply because they have grown up in a time when Sky have had the rights to football. Is it their fault? And even if it was, does it make their opinion any less valid?

Negged.

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There was nothing OTT about the criticism following this game. We were for the most part outfought and for portions of the game, outplayed by an abysmal Huddersfield side. There was zero chemistry attacking wise, the counter attacking was atrocious and before Henderson was mercifully subbed off, we were getting bossed in the midfield. Those are valid observations, not overreactions.

There were a few positives too, like the fact that the introduction of Wijnaldum coincided with the fact that we held on to the ball better and that we kept another clean sheet. And people can look at other factors like that we're coming off an international break and that there was turnover in the side. But most people are just commenting on what they saw, and objectively what they saw was ugly. 

To be frank, another big factor in us keeping a clean sheet was Steven Mounie not being able to hit a donkey's arse with a banjo. One of those chances was just after Bobby had passed to the right (a marked Salah) instead of to the left (an unmarked Shaqiri) which could and should have led to a second goal.

15 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

To be frank, another big factor in us keeping a clean sheet was Steven Mounie not being able to hit a donkey's arse with a banjo. One of those chances was just after Bobby had passed to the right (a marked Salah) instead of to the left (an unmarked Shaqiri) which could and should have led to a second goal.

Agreed. In truth, we were pretty abject and rode our luck a bit. But in the context of our situation which is that we're unbeaten and level on points at the top, I guess it's understandable that some people will not care about the performance or make it seem better than it was. Not to me, but I see the point of view.

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Agreed. In truth, we were pretty abject and rode our luck a bit. But in the context of our situation which is that we're unbeaten and level on points at the top, I guess it's understandable that some people will not care about the performance or make it seem better than it was. Not to me, but I see the point of view.

I love the fact that we're winning when not playing well, I just don't like the fact at times we are really riding our luck to do it. Winning AND playing well is the golden ticket.

Can we have a bit of perspective about this “not playing well” business. We’re not playing free flowing attacking football, our forwards aren’t linking and our passing isn’t as crisp as it should be. The rest of our team, especially the defence, is playing to a really high level. Saying we’re riding our luck in games doesn’t really ring true for me because we’re controlling most games through the strength of our back 5. Even yesterday, they had, what, one clear chance? That came through a lucky few rebounds in the box. 

We’re having some issues with cohesion, distance between the lines and execution - but it has been a real joy to watch us take something that has been a weakness for years and turn it into our greatest strength. 

59 minutes ago, moof said:

Can we have a bit of perspective about this “not playing well” business. We’re not playing free flowing attacking football, our forwards aren’t linking and our passing isn’t as crisp as it should be. The rest of our team, especially the defence, is playing to a really high level. Saying we’re riding our luck in games doesn’t really ring true for me because we’re controlling most games through the strength of our back 5. Even yesterday, they had, what, one clear chance? That came through a lucky few rebounds in the box. 

We’re having some issues with cohesion, distance between the lines and execution - but it has been a real joy to watch us take something that has been a weakness for years and turn it into our greatest strength. 

So you didn't notice when Virgil kicked the air, which wrong-footed Lovren leaving Mounie with a tap in from less than 10 yards out which he ballooned over the bar? That may have been a one-off in the match but that was most definitely riding their luck.

9 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

So you didn't notice when Virgil kicked the air, which wrong-footed Lovren leaving Mounie with a tap in from less than 10 yards out which he ballooned over the bar? That may have been a one-off in the match but that was most definitely riding their luck.

That was one moment, in the context of an almost flawless season played by them, so far. I can overlook it. 

1 hour ago, moof said:

I'm not especially one for banging the we aren't playing well drum - as ultimately results are all that really matter and we are getting them....i'd rather be winning games than losing them and trying to gain some crumbs of comfort about 'yeah but we are playing well' - fuck that, that is what losers do.

But and its a big but - to suggest we are controlling games is for me a massive stretch....it is our lack of ability to control games mainly due to the state of our midfield and its inability to retain the ball that is our biggest worry for me....

We are seeing our lowest possession percentages for ages - we are managing to shut teams out which is good and that is getting us results - but we are not controlling games - i'd love to have seen us go 1 up yesterday and then dominate the ball, moving Huddersfield all over the park and having them chasing shadows by keeping the ball and dictating the tempo....we didn't and we haven't really done so for most of the season.

But we are winning and we are more defensively solid - that is good, but it does not look like a team 'controlling' games to me.

We are though a team who are hard to score against....if the midfield can start to link better with the attack and exert more control/retain the ball better then we could really start to see dominant performances.

23 pts from 9 games anyway is when all said and done the really important thing the rest is arguably just noise i suppose.