You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spacing after commas and full stops.

Anny Road

Yeah, I was always taught that.  Single after a comma, double after a full stop.  Then I got a job writing for a telecoms research place and they went mad about it.  Took a little while to get out of the habit.  Taken a little while to get back into the habit as I do, personally, prefer the way I was taught (plus fuck them, the whiny, mismanaged bag of dicks).

Doesn't really matter though, beyond pedantry that.  Think it more comes down to personal preference and the typeface you're using.  If you've ever had to type (or read) anything lengthy in Courier New, for example, you'd appreciate the breathing room.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

She is not my boss but runs the office. I’ll just ignore her. She’ll get bored soon.

Today I just started every new sentence on a new line.

I do email like I’m sending a text though.

I am the opposite, Anny.

My texts are written out in full, and one of the lads in my old office introduced my final workplace nickname as he referred to me as ' Fucking Pepys over there '

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I am the opposite, Anny.

My texts are written out in full, and one of the lads in my old office introduced my final workplace nickname as he referred to me as ' Fucking Pepys over there '

When I say like texts I don’t m8 and emojis and all that shit. I use full words and punctuation just not formal.

She moaned I started emails Hello and Hi to new customers I didn’t know. It’s good afternoon from now on.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That’s what I’m asking him. If that’s how he likes to style it, fair enough. I hate it, but he can do what he likes. If he’s saying it’s a rule, then I disagree. It’s pretty much put to bed by most publication’s style guides. 

Should that be publications’ ?

• Upvote 2

This is obviously no big deal and I shouldn’t give a fuck. I feel like I being told how to speak by Noel  Coward and it’s pissing me off. One boss once told me I talked too fast and needed to slow down as he couldn’t understand me. I told him I talk fine but his brain was too slow. Wasn’t there long funny enough.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

When I say like texts I don’t m8 and emojis and all that shit. I use full words and punctuation just not formal.

She moaned I started emails Hello and Hi to new customers I didn’t know. It’s good afternoon from now on.

Good afternoon. Get lost!

And until I read this thread I had no idea about this 2 space nonsense 

1 hour ago, Anny Road said:

She is not my boss but runs the office. I’ll just ignore her. She’ll get bored soon.

Today I just started every new sentence on a new line.

I do email like I’m sending a text though.

What a boring jobsworth this wagon is ....a pure Gareth

1 hour ago, Anny Road said:

This is obviously no big deal and I shouldn’t give a fuck. I feel like I being told how to speak by Noel  Coward and it’s pissing me off. One boss once told me I talked too fast and needed to slow down as he couldn’t understand me. I told him I talk fine but his brain was too slow. Wasn’t there long funny enough.

I read this in the voice of  vicki pollard. (Due to noticing the ‘I feel like I being told’ before actually starting to read the post)

it suits you.

• Upvote 2

A full stop is grammatically named wrong as a sentence that ends with a full stop and then a new sentence beginning has not fully stopped it has simply been paused and the fact that it continues with another sentence means that even placing a double space after a meaningless full stop that has not fully stopped is utterly fucking pointless.