Quantcast
Most underrated/overrated player in the Premiership? - Page 6 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Elite

Most underrated/overrated player in the Premiership?

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

While we’re at it 
 

Over - Ledley King. Good player but became better and better every time he was out injured. Not alone in that.

 

Under - Pablo Zabaleta. Great pro in a team of mainly uppity twats.

Zabaleta is a good shout. Comes over pretty ok as a pundit too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and a shout for Steve Bruce as most overrated player in Prem history. A good defender and important player for the most successful team of the mid-90s, but the way he’s always talked about as some lost gem who England should have found a place for is just arse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overrated: The golden generation

Underrated: England team of mid-to-late 90s where you had the choice of Shearer, Owen, Ferdinand, Sheringham, Fowler, Wright, Collymore, and Andy Cole to lead the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curtis Woodhouse has been Manc baiting on twitter recently and now I'm fully on board with Ryan Giggs being the most overrated player ever. His stats were average and he's the most substituted player ever. 

 

Underrated I'd say Sami. Outside of Liverpool noone rates him. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Curtis Woodhouse has been Manc baiting on twitter recently and now I'm fully on board with Ryan Giggs being the most overrated player ever. His stats were average and he's the most substituted player ever. 

 

Underrated I'd say Sami. Outside of Liverpool noone rates him. 

Always hated Giggs, way before he was banging his sister in law. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Always hated Giggs, way before he was banging his sister in law. 

Averaged 5 goals a season. Highest ever tally was 13 in 1994, he was outscored by Rod Wallace at Leeds. In the season United won the league by 18 points, scoring 97 goals he scored 6 (only 3 more than Albert Riera in the same season) and was outscored by Peter Beagrie, his equivalent position at relegated Bradford.  Up with Scholes for biggest football myth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ron B said:

Oh, and a shout for Steve Bruce as most overrated player in Prem history. A good defender and important player for the most successful team of the mid-90s, but the way he’s always talked about as some lost gem who England should have found a place for is just arse. 

Pallister made Bruce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ron B said:

Oh, and a shout for Steve Bruce as most overrated player in Prem history. A good defender and important player for the most successful team of the mid-90s, but the way he’s always talked about as some lost gem who England should have found a place for is just arse. 

I’ve never heard anyone say Bruce should have played regularly for England. However, I don’t think it’s outlandish to say he should/could have played for them a few times, given some of the dross that did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve never heard anyone say Bruce should have played regularly for England. However, I don’t think it’s outlandish to say he should/could have played for them a few times, given some of the dross that did.

I'd probably agree with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/05/2020 at 21:06, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

While we’re at it 
 

Over - Ledley King. Good player but became better and better every time he was out injured. Not alone in that.

 

Under - Pablo Zabaleta. Great pro in a team of mainly uppity twats.

Not that I'm an England fan but it used to burn my head out that King (on the rare occasions he was fit enough to play) was picked ahead of Carra! I'm not saying Carra was Franz Beckenbauer class but I'd have taken him over King any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

 

But Carra didn't play for one of Southern darlings did he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I saw the other week comes to mind for this - it was one of those MOTD top 10 things. Granted, it was Wright and Shearer so I'd expect some English bias but it was about top 10 players in the Premier League who had never played for one of the current "big 6" - Wright had Kevin Phillips at number 4. I thought that was pretty strange, even for him. Apart from that one season where he scored a shit load, his next highest goals in the Premier League was 14. Eight England caps, no goals. Seems to have generally a higher reputation than he deserves, in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Averaged 5 goals a season. Highest ever tally was 13 in 1994, he was outscored by Rod Wallace at Leeds. In the season United won the league by 18 points, scoring 97 goals he scored 6 (only 3 more than Albert Riera in the same season) and was outscored by Peter Beagrie, his equivalent position at relegated Bradford.  Up with Scholes for biggest football myth. 

Giggs' success is more attributed to longevity and being a "team-player". To his credit he was successful in many roles at United - he made a very successful & unlikely transition from winger to central midfielder and was present throughout their 20 year run. But did he ever have a season remotely as explosive as players like Salah or C. Ronaldo? Not at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over - Gerrard. Poor mans Gini. 

 

Under - Gerrard. Best midfielder to walk the planet after Zidane retired. Ultimate Roy of the Rovers stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overrated: Pogba. Seen him pass the ball into touch more than a team mate. Do not see the appeal with him at all. Shite. (Add Martial to this list too. Weirdly vastly overrated by our fans for no reason) 
 

underrated: Willian. Cracker player who scares me everytime he gets the ball against us yet the Chelsea fans think he’s absolute turd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red74 said:

Overrated: Pogba. Seen him pass the ball into touch more than a team mate. Do not see the appeal with him at all. Shite. (Add Martial to this list too. Weirdly vastly overrated by our fans for no reason) 
 

underrated: Willian. Cracker player who scares me everytime he gets the ball against us yet the Chelsea fans think he’s absolute turd. 

Martial - those couple of goals cut deep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Curtis Woodhouse has been Manc baiting on twitter recently and now I'm fully on board with Ryan Giggs being the most overrated player ever. His stats were average and he's the most substituted player ever. 

 

Underrated I'd say Sami. Outside of Liverpool noone rates him. 

I always thought seaman should have easily saved that fa cup goal giggs scored on him as well. It was straight at him and he fell down ffs. 

 

But most overrated, I'm going to say David James. He was fairly highly regarded when he was in his latter days, especially when he was the England number 1. But ill always remember him for being utterly fucking atrocious for us in the 90's. Giving away a corner back then was like giving away a penalty it seemed. He flapped at everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Giggs' success is more attributed to longevity and being a "team-player". To his credit he was successful in many roles at United - he made a very successful & unlikely transition from winger to central midfielder and was present throughout their 20 year run. But did he ever have a season remotely as explosive as players like Salah or C. Ronaldo? Not at all.

 

Salah and Ronaldo benefited from playing in the front three though whereas Giggs played on the left of a midfield four. I think Giggs would have scored a lot more goals if he was on the right of a front three cutting inside.

 

I remember Mcmanaman always got criticised for a lack of goals, but in a 4-4-2 formation, you would only really expect the wide players to get a maximum of 10 goals unless they took penalties and or free kicks?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I always thought seaman should have easily saved that fa cup goal giggs scored on him as well. It was straight at him and he fell down ffs. 

 

But most overrated, I'm going to say David James. He was fairly highly regarded when he was in his latter days, especially when he was the England number 1. But ill always remember him for being utterly fucking atrocious for us in the 90's. Giving away a corner back then was like giving away a penalty it seemed. He flapped at everything. 

James was amazing after he left Liverpool. One of the best keepers in the world at Pompey I reckon. Awful for us the tit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Edwyn C

One of the best ever keepers for Pompey probably. But he was shite for us considering all the natural ability he had, size and athleticism, but not much football intelligence. 

 

Mcmanaman, bad commentator, pronouncing scouse too posh + not much tactical insight on commentary. But he was a really brilliant player for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember in the mid to late 90s Giggs was often booed at OT. I started it once (when Michael scored in the 1-1) and I was being entertained in a hospitality section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Edwyn C said:

One of the best ever keepers for Pompey probably. But he was shite for us considering all the natural ability he had, size and athleticism, but not much football intelligence. 

 

Mcmanaman, bad commentator, pronouncing scouse too posh + not much tactical insight on commentary. But he was a really brilliant player for us. 

I’ve got a few stories about Alan Knight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×