You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most underrated/overrated player in the Premiership?

Elite

12 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

While we’re at it 

Over - Ledley King. Good player but became better and better every time he was out injured. Not alone in that.

Under - Pablo Zabaleta. Great pro in a team of mainly uppity twats.

Zabaleta is a good shout. Comes over pretty ok as a pundit too.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and a shout for Steve Bruce as most overrated player in Prem history. A good defender and important player for the most successful team of the mid-90s, but the way he’s always talked about as some lost gem who England should have found a place for is just arse. 

1 minute ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Curtis Woodhouse has been Manc baiting on twitter recently and now I'm fully on board with Ryan Giggs being the most overrated player ever. His stats were average and he's the most substituted player ever. 

Underrated I'd say Sami. Outside of Liverpool noone rates him. 

Always hated Giggs, way before he was banging his sister in law. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Always hated Giggs, way before he was banging his sister in law. 

Averaged 5 goals a season. Highest ever tally was 13 in 1994, he was outscored by Rod Wallace at Leeds. In the season United won the league by 18 points, scoring 97 goals he scored 6 (only 3 more than Albert Riera in the same season) and was outscored by Peter Beagrie, his equivalent position at relegated Bradford.  Up with Scholes for biggest football myth. 

12 hours ago, Ron B said:

Oh, and a shout for Steve Bruce as most overrated player in Prem history. A good defender and important player for the most successful team of the mid-90s, but the way he’s always talked about as some lost gem who England should have found a place for is just arse. 

Pallister made Bruce.

12 hours ago, Ron B said:

I’ve never heard anyone say Bruce should have played regularly for England. However, I don’t think it’s outlandish to say he should/could have played for them a few times, given some of the dross that did.

On 28/05/2020 at 21:06, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

While we’re at it 

Over - Ledley King. Good player but became better and better every time he was out injured. Not alone in that.

Under - Pablo Zabaleta. Great pro in a team of mainly uppity twats.

Not that I'm an England fan but it used to burn my head out that King (on the rare occasions he was fit enough to play) was picked ahead of Carra! I'm not saying Carra was Franz Beckenbauer class but I'd have taken him over King any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

But Carra didn't play for one of Southern darlings did he?

Something I saw the other week comes to mind for this - it was one of those MOTD top 10 things. Granted, it was Wright and Shearer so I'd expect some English bias but it was about top 10 players in the Premier League who had never played for one of the current "big 6" - Wright had Kevin Phillips at number 4. I thought that was pretty strange, even for him. Apart from that one season where he scored a shit load, his next highest goals in the Premier League was 14. Eight England caps, no goals. Seems to have generally a higher reputation than he deserves, in my opinion. 

Guest Alex_K
9 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Averaged 5 goals a season. Highest ever tally was 13 in 1994, he was outscored by Rod Wallace at Leeds. In the season United won the league by 18 points, scoring 97 goals he scored 6 (only 3 more than Albert Riera in the same season) and was outscored by Peter Beagrie, his equivalent position at relegated Bradford.  Up with Scholes for biggest football myth. 

Giggs' success is more attributed to longevity and being a "team-player". To his credit he was successful in many roles at United - he made a very successful & unlikely transition from winger to central midfielder and was present throughout their 20 year run. But did he ever have a season remotely as explosive as players like Salah or C. Ronaldo? Not at all.

Overrated: Pogba. Seen him pass the ball into touch more than a team mate. Do not see the appeal with him at all. Shite. (Add Martial to this list too. Weirdly vastly overrated by our fans for no reason) 

underrated: Willian. Cracker player who scares me everytime he gets the ball against us yet the Chelsea fans think he’s absolute turd. 

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

Overrated: Pogba. Seen him pass the ball into touch more than a team mate. Do not see the appeal with him at all. Shite. (Add Martial to this list too. Weirdly vastly overrated by our fans for no reason) 

underrated: Willian. Cracker player who scares me everytime he gets the ball against us yet the Chelsea fans think he’s absolute turd. 

Martial - those couple of goals cut deep

13 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Curtis Woodhouse has been Manc baiting on twitter recently and now I'm fully on board with Ryan Giggs being the most overrated player ever. His stats were average and he's the most substituted player ever. 

Underrated I'd say Sami. Outside of Liverpool noone rates him. 

I always thought seaman should have easily saved that fa cup goal giggs scored on him as well. It was straight at him and he fell down ffs. 

But most overrated, I'm going to say David James. He was fairly highly regarded when he was in his latter days, especially when he was the England number 1. But ill always remember him for being utterly fucking atrocious for us in the 90's. Giving away a corner back then was like giving away a penalty it seemed. He flapped at everything. 

3 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Giggs' success is more attributed to longevity and being a "team-player". To his credit he was successful in many roles at United - he made a very successful & unlikely transition from winger to central midfielder and was present throughout their 20 year run. But did he ever have a season remotely as explosive as players like Salah or C. Ronaldo? Not at all.

Salah and Ronaldo benefited from playing in the front three though whereas Giggs played on the left of a midfield four. I think Giggs would have scored a lot more goals if he was on the right of a front three cutting inside.

I remember Mcmanaman always got criticised for a lack of goals, but in a 4-4-2 formation, you would only really expect the wide players to get a maximum of 10 goals unless they took penalties and or free kicks?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I always thought seaman should have easily saved that fa cup goal giggs scored on him as well. It was straight at him and he fell down ffs. 

But most overrated, I'm going to say David James. He was fairly highly regarded when he was in his latter days, especially when he was the England number 1. But ill always remember him for being utterly fucking atrocious for us in the 90's. Giving away a corner back then was like giving away a penalty it seemed. He flapped at everything. 

James was amazing after he left Liverpool. One of the best keepers in the world at Pompey I reckon. Awful for us the tit. 

Guest Edwyn C

One of the best ever keepers for Pompey probably. But he was shite for us considering all the natural ability he had, size and athleticism, but not much football intelligence. 

Mcmanaman, bad commentator, pronouncing scouse too posh + not much tactical insight on commentary. But he was a really brilliant player for us. 

15 hours ago, Edwyn C said:

One of the best ever keepers for Pompey probably. But he was shite for us considering all the natural ability he had, size and athleticism, but not much football intelligence. 

Mcmanaman, bad commentator, pronouncing scouse too posh + not much tactical insight on commentary. But he was a really brilliant player for us. 

I’ve got a few stories about Alan Knight.