You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most underrated/overrated player in the Premiership?

Elite

Gazza wasn't over-rated. If he wasn't a piss-head and hadn't had all them injuries he would easily be the best English player of all time. Possibly a top 10 ever player. He was superb. 

I don't think anyone will ever kid themselves that he was that good in the premiership. 

Bruno Fernandes is a good player and will probably be a great buy for the Mancs but he's had a few good games and gets in the MOTD team of the season and all the Manc loving media are obsessed about him.

David Luiz, John Stones and Phil Jones were all overrated early on in their career but as they have got older many people have realised how shit or average they are. In David Luiz's case how many stupid risks he takes to put his team in danger.

It's easy to dismiss Vardy as a punt over the top speed merchant but he came from non league and slowly worked his way up the leagues but was not overawed or intimidated by playing for Leicester in the Premier league. Think his sheer determination and ability to go from lower leagues to the Premier league without looking out of place is often overlooked. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Bruno Fernandes is a good player and will probably be a great buy for the Mancs but he's had a few good games and gets in the MOTD team of the season and all the Manc loving media are obsessed about him.

David Luiz, John Stones and Phil Jones were all overrated early on in their career but as they have got older many people have realised how shit or average they are. In David Luiz's case how many stupid risks he takes to put his team in danger.

It's easy to dismiss Vardy as a punt over the top speed merchant but he came from non league and slowly worked his way up the leagues but was not overawed or intimidated by playing for Leicester in the Premier league. Think his sheer determination and ability to go from lower leagues to the Premier league without looking out of place is often overlooked. 

Fernandes is one of those players who the commentators are desperate to do you well. You know the type, plays a 10 yard ball sideways and it becomes ‘a perfectly weighted pass that penetrates into the heart of the opposition played by a master craftsman’. He’s a decent player but he’s not the second coming, despite what Tyler says.

5 hours ago, aRdja said:

Past players

Overrated - Gazza

Underrated - Klinsmann

Klinsmann wasn't underrated, he just played in a team of underachievers. He was basically advertising the Premier League when he was at Spurs. If anything, he underrated himself and should have won a lot more in the English game. Imagine him at Liverpool in this squad...

2013-12-17-12-17-491.jpg

Or the following season with Fowler and/or Collymore...

6876dabb67e00c8ce387508a93fd4652.png

Surprised that nobody has mentioned Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. He’s rarely mentioned when people talk about the best Prem strikers, but he scored goals year in year out, for the better part of a decade. 
Took a while to get going at Leeds, but scored 26 in the second half of his first season and was (joint) winner of the Golden Boot in his second. 

After a year’s break in Spain he went to Chelsea and got 87 goals in four years, won the Golden Boot again (and was one goal short of getting it a third time). 
Decent goal record at Middlesbrough too, and even if he fell off a bit by the time he went to Charlton he was 34 by the time he went there so I’d give him a pass on that. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ron B said:

Surprised that nobody has mentioned Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. He’s rarely mentioned when people talk about the best Prem strikers, but he scored goals year in year out, for the better part of a decade. 
Took a while to get going at Leeds, but scored 26 in the second half of his first season and was (joint) winner of the Golden Boot in his second. 

After a year’s break in Spain he went to Chelsea and got 87 goals in four years, won the Golden Boot again (and was one goal short of getting it a third time). 
Decent goal record at Middlesbrough too, and even if he fell off a bit by the time he went to Charlton he was 34 by the time he went there so I’d give him a pass on that. 

Always seemed to score against us didn’t he? At least I remember very well being at Elland Road when he scored the winner against us in a 0-1 defeat. Absolute cracker of a goal.

He always had that in him, and scored quite a few screamers, but didnt do a lot of running and could be completely invisible on many occasions the way I remember him. 

Excellent goal scorer but not quite up there among the best in my book.

Over -  Joe Hart. None stop fawning when he was just a lucky keeper who ran out of luck.

Under -  Ray Clemence. Not by us but by England in my opinion and many others, should have been undisputed number one instead of the camera save Tina shagger Shilton.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Klinsmann wasn't underrated, he just played in a team of underachievers. He was basically advertising the Premier League when he was at Spurs. If anything, he underrated himself and should have won a lot more in the English game. Imagine him at Liverpool in this squad...

2013-12-17-12-17-491.jpg

Or the following season with Fowler and/or Collymore...

6876dabb67e00c8ce387508a93fd4652.png

A few relatively average players like Tim Flowers and Colin Hendry would have improved that side more than any forward.     We were already sensational in attack. 

A stronger manager who understood the importance of keeping fit would have helped too.   Evans was more likely to be out on the sauce with them, than clamp down on them throwing theur talent away. 

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I find myself agreeing with ardja on this. Terry and Campbell were both top players and while Terry is a cunt and Campbell is totally hatstand,I do feel Sol hasn't had the plaudits he deserved. 

I think most football fans acknowledge that Campbell was brilliant 

27 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I find myself agreeing with ardja on this. Terry and Campbell were both top players and while Terry is a cunt and Campbell is totally hatstand,I do feel Sol hasn't had the plaudits he deserved. 

Campbell was drooled over at times. The hatstand thing is right though.