You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most underrated/overrated player in the Premiership?

Elite

On 30/05/2020 at 10:19, Leyton388 said:

Beckham. 

In terms of overrated, that performance against Greece is the definition of overrated. Beckham's desire to be all over the pitch and get on the ball is loved by the British press and the mouthbreathers, but it completely fucked up Sven's and the team's tactics because there were at least 3 players on the pitch left with 2-on-1s whenever possession was lost. If Beckham had focussed on staying in right midfield, the team wouldn't have been countered so easily and wouldn't have needed a last-minute free kick to save their arses.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Trumo said:

In terms of overrated, that performance against Greece is the definition of overrated. Beckham's desire to be all over the pitch and get on the ball is loved by the British press and the mouthbreathers, but it completely fucked up Sven's and the team's tactics because there were at least 3 players on the pitch left with 2-on-1s whenever possession was lost. If Beckham had focussed on staying in right midfield, the team wouldn't have been countered so easily and wouldn't have needed a last-minute free kick to save their arses.

Hadn’t he already taken a shit ton of free kicks that day, law of averages and all that.

46 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Says more about the media that they were going mad over qualifying against an average Greek team and needed a late draw to do it.

Guest Alex_K
On 30/05/2020 at 22:50, MegadriveMan said:

Salah and Ronaldo benefited from playing in the front three though whereas Giggs played on the left of a midfield four. I think Giggs would have scored a lot more goals if he was on the right of a front three cutting inside.

I remember Mcmanaman always got criticised for a lack of goals, but in a 4-4-2 formation, you would only really expect the wide players to get a maximum of 10 goals unless they took penalties and or free kicks?

Fair - but personally I think if Giggs had that in his locker he would have been elevated to the role. Ronaldo (& Salah for that matter) didn't start their careers as great goalscorers but evolved into them. Salah is clearly a far more accomplished scorer than Giggs ever was, and in my view also a more accomplished defender in terms of work-rate.

Slightly tangential point is that Adrian howler probably kept us from proving without shadow of a doubt that our current side is superior in every way to the late 90s United batch. Perenial quarter finalists with one final(win) against the run of play - away from domestic bias there's nothing to say that United team were all time greats.

On 27/05/2020 at 16:59, YorkshireRed said:

Overrated: Harry Kane. I’ve been saying this since his breakout season at Spurs. I’m not ready to let that view go just yet.

Underrated: Jordan Henderson (Still).

If we're including Liverpool players, I'd include Joe Gomez as arguably the most underrated player in the Premier League.  He's an absolutely superb player and he's at an age where he won't hit his peak for another 5 years.

£1.3 million.  Less than 1/60 the price of Harry Maguire.

Jaw Dropping GIFs | Tenor

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If we're including Liverpool players, I'd include Joe Gomez as arguably the most underrated player in the Premier League.  He's an absolutely superb player and he's at an age where he won't hit his peak for another 5 years.

£1.3 million.  Less than 1/60 the price of Harry Maguire.

Jaw Dropping GIFs | Tenor

To be fair,considering Gomez is regularly in the England squad I don't think he is underrated by managers and fellow pros. Likewise Henderson but Hendo has been a top level player for around 6/7 seasons and continues to set incredible standards that those in the game appreciate,especially his teammates.

I'm pretty sure if you asked somebody like Scholes or Keane who they'd rather have alongside them,Pogba or Henderson,Henderson would be the choice of both.

The most over-rated player I've ever seen is Pogba, without a doubt. Even in the games when he's supposed to have been great (when France won the World Cup) I found myself wondering what all the fuss was about.

Absolute fucking turd. He's not just over-rated, he's proper shite most of the time.

Most under-rated is more difficult. But off the top of my head I'd say Jamie Vardy is way better than he's given credit for I think. Genuinely think he's absolutely fucking brilliant at what he does.

22 minutes ago, dave u said:

The most over-rated player I've ever seen is Pogba, without a doubt. Even in the games when he's supposed to have been great (when France won the World Cup) I found myself wondering what all the fuss was about.

Absolute fucking turd. He's not just over-rated, he's proper shite most of the time.

Most under-rated is more difficult. But off the top of my head I'd say Jamie Vardy is way better than he's given credit for I think. Genuinely think he's absolutely fucking brilliant at what he does.

Pogba was very good at Juve but the space midfielders get over there its no surprise. Under the slightest pressure he is woeful. I really hope Real Madrid sign him. 

Fair shout on Vardy. Like Bellamy and possibly even Ian Wright before him he plays an unfashionable 'in your face' way but its fucking effective. That goal he scored against us a few years back at their place was world class. Shame he is an absolute toss-pot. 

Over-rated - Ibrahimiovic - ive always thought he was shite 

Under-rated - Finnan - Most fans other than ours have no idea how solid a full back he was for a few years he had that position boxed off and chipped in with some decent assists. 

4 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Over-rated - Ibrahimiovic - ive always thought he was shite 

Under-rated - Finnan - Most fans other than ours have no idea how solid a full back he was for a few years he had that position boxed off and chipped in with some decent assists. 

I never rated Ibrahimovic, yet I enjoy watching his goals compilation videos, as he scored so many outrageous and unorthodox ones.

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Pogba was excellent for Juve because they didn’t ask him to run games. He played alongside Pirlo and Marchisio who effectively ran the midfield every game, and he was given the freedom of the left side of the pitch, to go up and down as he pleased and in fairness he did a very job. Not too dissimilar a concept as when Rafa moved Stevie further forward because he knew that with Xabi, Mascherano and Kuyt in midfield, he could afford to give Stevie the license to focus on scoring and creating goals. Obviously I’m not comparing Pogba to Steven Gerrard as footballers, as obviously that’d be silly, just how they’ve been utilised.

How old was teddy sheringham when he left millwall? He went to forest after about 9 years in London, then went back to spurs. Some player he was and yet spent ten years at millwall and forest. He must have been 25 or 26 at spurs? Definitely an underrated player. Would have loved to see him at Liverpool.

The overrated/underrated concept is lost when Pogba of all people is deemed overrated. He's criticized nonstop by fans and punditry alike. Souness has said just about every negative thing about Pogba you could possibly say that is permissible on national television. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The overrated/underrated concept is lost when Pogba of all people is deemed overrated. He's criticized nonstop by fans and punditry alike. Souness has said just about every negative thing about Pogba you could possibly say that is permissible on national television. 

Well he was touted as the best prospect in the world at the time, and is still the most expensive player in the history of the PL.

11 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Pogba was very good at Juve but the space midfielders get over there its no surprise. Under the slightest pressure he is woeful. I really hope Real Madrid sign him. 

He was also playing with peak Pirlo (early 30s) and peak Vidal (mid 20s). At the time they were two of the best midfielders in the world. Pogba could just stroll about doing flicks and stuff while Pirlo ensured Juventus always had the ball, and on the rare occasion they lost it Vidal would Mascherano the fuck out of the opposition.

12 hours ago, aRdja said:

Pogba was excellent for Juve because they didn’t ask him to run games. He played alongside Pirlo and Marchisio who effectively ran the midfield every game, and he was given the freedom of the left side of the pitch, to go up and down as he pleased and in fairness he did a very job. Not too dissimilar a concept as when Rafa moved Stevie further forward because he knew that with Xabi, Mascherano and Kuyt in midfield, he could afford to give Stevie the license to focus on scoring and creating goals. Obviously I’m not comparing Pogba to Steven Gerrard as footballers, as obviously that’d be silly, just how they’ve been utilised.

Yeah but Serie A doesn't count because it's shite. It especially doesn't count in this case because the thread is about the Premier League.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

For every Souness you have a thousand FIFA generation dicks who think he's the second coming.

He's shite and as long as there's even one person on the planet who can't see this, then it makes him over-rated.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

Yeah but Serie A doesn't count because it's shite. It especially doesn't count in this case because the thread is about the Premier League.

What you mean some players who are huge successes in other leagues cannot make the transition to better, more competitive leagues? Well I never.