You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most underrated/overrated player in the Premiership?

Elite

17 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Can't say I've watched them much either, he was their player of the season last year if that means anything (according to the commentator tonight).

Always looks like a good footballer and defender when I do see him.  Think of him and Gomez in a back three with Virgil.

A back 3? Nah. I like how we are thanks mate. 

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's basically exactly what we're missing: a very technically gifted creative player. If he was 3 years younger he'd be the absolute holy grail for our squad. 

Technique and its application are absolutely inseparable for me when assessing a player. I think there are some legitimate factors that mitigate his responsibility for being AWOL much of the time (Wenger, some teammates, Wenger) but it’s absolutely a fact that he does not impose himself on games anywhere near in proportion to his ability. Therefore he’s overrated.

I’m not arsed whether his talent is greater than Messi and Maradona’s combined: if he can’t routinely dominate games - which he can’t - then all the hype about his ability is just that: hype. 

That all said, it would be fascinating to see the impact of someone like Klopp on his game. However, as that’s almost certainly never going to happen it’s a moot point. 

Put it this way - I’ll bet Emery is absolutely gutted Wenger gave him that £400k a week contract. If he’s pulled Aaron Ramsay’s deal from the table, which is less than half of this fella’s, it’s because so much of his available wage pot is tied up in a bloke who doesn’t consistently deliver. And no matter what the context, if you’re on that money and don’t do it all the time then you’re overrated. 

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

If he was at a club that he loved he would be fucking brilliant. 

That point makes mine in a nutshell: the idea that ability and mentality are somehow totally unconnected is risible. Take away Messi’s will to win and you’ve got a glorified David Ginola. 

But how does any of that make him overrated? No-one is saying he's one of the best players in the world. Yet, despite his mental flaws, his output is still very good (or certainly was up until about 12/18 months ago). Because in terms of technique and football intelligence he's one of the absolute best around. 

He could be a great player if he applied himself. He doesn't, and is still a very good one.

Yeah .. the meaning of “over-rated” seems to be a bit lost here. Lukaku, Pogba, Oezil & the like are routinely lampooned in the media and mocked by own/rival fans (see this site) .. despite Oezil being the fastest to 50 assists in league history, Lukaku being top scorer in his nations history at 24 and a 1-in-2 man every season in the league since age 19, Pogba being a multi title and World Cup winner etc. who plays his football under the drudgery of Mourinho. These aren’t ‘great’ players, but they have tangible statistical achievements that are frequently disregarded as they are made their sides’ scapegoats.

Of the City defenders, Kompany is probably the one who stands out as being most over rated — if not now, then certainly in years gone by. Frequently and variously come undone against us, and never got it done in Europe. Not one for the pantheon of great centre backs in the league in the mid 2000s. 

57 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Of the City defenders, Kompany is probably the one who stands out as being most over rated — if not now, then certainly in years gone by. Frequently and variously come undone against us, and never got it done in Europe. Not one for the pantheon of great centre backs in the league in the mid 2000s. 

Considering Kompany was still quite young and only moved to City around 2007, he was never going to be in that pantheon anyway!

4 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Considering Kompany was still quite young and only moved to City around 2007, he was never going to be in that pantheon anyway!

Sorry - I meant he is not in the same class as some of the centre backs of that era, given that was probably the last great school of centre backs in this league (here’s hoping Van Dijk wins the trophies to get his name on that list). Carvalho, Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry etc a class above (and the medal count & European exploits show it) — arguably Hyypia too.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Yeah .. the meaning of “over-rated” seems to be a bit lost here. Lukaku, Pogba, Oezil & the like are routinely lampooned in the media and mocked by own/rival fans (see this site) .. despite Oezil being the fastest to 50 assists in league history, Lukaku being top scorer in his nations history at 24 and a 1-in-2 man every season in the league since age 19, Pogba being a multi title and World Cup winner etc. who plays his football under the drudgery of Mourinho. These aren’t ‘great’ players, but they have tangible statistical achievements that are frequently disregarded as they are made their sides’ scapegoats.

Kompany was a boss centre half. Just injuries that done him. 

The likes of Carlton Pogba are hugely overrated - i bought my lad a MoTD mag last year called the PL's 50 best players......Carlton Pogba was number fucking 1.

Seriously....what a joke.

Yeah its a mag aimed at kids, i know that - but it is just peddling the myth that Pogba is some kind of mega star player, he isn't, but the hype and bullshit around him and all the marketing people want people to buy into that he is and buy the stuff they are selling.

The media toss themselves off over him all the time - he is not a bad player of course but he is nowhere near the player 1. He thinks he is and 2. He has been told he is by the media.

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

The likes of Carlton Pogba are hugely overrated - i bought my lad a MoTD mag last year called the PL's 50 best players......Carlton Pogba was number fucking 1.

Seriously....what a joke.

Yeah its a mag aimed at kids, i know that - but it is just peddling the myth that Pogba is some kind of mega star player, he isn't, but the hype and bullshit around him and all the marketing people want people to buy into that he is and buy the stuff they are selling.

The media toss themselves off over him all the time - he is not a bad player of course but he is nowhere near the player 1. He thinks he is and 2. He has been told he is by the media.

He wouldn't even get into a legitimate top 50.

Milner is a very legitimate candidate for being under-rated. By the time he’s done, it’s more than likely he ends up with more Premier League assists than Steven Gerrard & Bergkamp. That’s no mean feat for a player widely most recognised only for his industry.

re Kompany — a link like this is the definition of overrated — it has him in with Tony Adams as the greatest PL defender. How many leagues and European Cups do those 2 have again? https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/football-whispers-presents-the-best-premier-league-xi-of-all-time

3 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Sorry - I meant he is not in the same class as some of the centre backs of that era, given that was probably the last great school of centre backs in this league (here’s hoping Van Dijk wins the trophies to get his name on that list). Carvalho, Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry etc a class above (and the medal count & European exploits show it) — arguably Hyypia too.

Negged for "arguably".

• Upvote 1

At the risk of going full Ardja, I reckon Mark Noble is under-rated. His ability to shield the ball and hold onto possession as the opposition presses is better than any English player (OK, not the highest bar, but still) for some time, and he's still doing it at 31. Considering the plaudits Wilshere has received for doing next to nothing, and the caps the likes of Livermore have recently picked up, Noble should be more highly thought of.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...