You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most underrated/overrated player in the Premiership?

Elite

Underrated - David Silva. Still doesn't get the credit he deserves.

The opposite to sir roger for me, I'm finding it hard to think of somebody overrated.  Sterling, Lukaku or Maguire maybe, but they all have plenty of critics anyway, no? Otamendi is overrated if anybody thinks he's even a passable professional footballer.

Over rated - Lloris,  makes as many mistakes as Mingolet or Karius.

Under rated - Azpalecueta , he's maybe not totally underrated but he's not spoken about as the best defender in the league as he has been for the last 4 years ( until VVD took over). David Silva is another who doesn't get recognised for just how good he is. 

While he may well explode this season, Hazard is to date over rated. 1 season out of 6 where he’s had more than 15 league goals; he’s never hit 20 in a season across all competitions. Salah scored more league goals last season than Hazard’s two highest scoring seasons combined! And Carragher compared Hazard to PELE and MARADONA, not to mention the Messi / Ronaldo comparisons that periodically come.

Conversely Id agree with the earlier post that Azpicueta is under rated. Really imperious defender.

34 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

While he may well explode this season, Hazard is to date over rated. 1 season out of 6 where he’s had more than 15 league goals; he’s never hit 20 in a season across all competitions. Salah scored more league goals last season than Hazard’s two highest scoring seasons combined! And Carragher compared Hazard to PELE and MARADONA, not to mention the Messi / Ronaldo comparisons that periodically come.

Conversely Id agree with the earlier post that Azpicueta is under rated. Really imperious defender.

I think Hazards temperament is the issue, not his ability.

Underrated: Roberto Pereyra. He's a bit like Maxi Rodriguez in that he doesn't stand out in any one area (be it pace, passing range, dribbling skills, shooting, etc) but always seems to make a telling contribution in the final third when his team are attacking. Maxi had more of an eye for goal whereas Pereyra is more likely to carry the ball.

15 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Another vote for Azpilicueta. I think he's taken over from Zabaleta who was also criminally underrated. 

Overrated - Maybe Dele Alli.

I’m a bit disappointed by Alli, he’s turned to more of a second striker than a CM.

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't think they have a position for him. He isn't a second striker, and he's nowhere near as good Eriksen.

I genuinely thought he’d be a box-to-box midfielder; the role Milner is playing for us this year. However over the past couple of years or so... he’s become less involved in the build-up play until it reaches the final third.