You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Patriotism

aRdja

Stuck in work so trawling iplayer for something to watch. So eneded up watching the Mercury Prize awards

Band on at the moment deserve a award for this alone

sonscover-1522436988-compressed.jpg

The album title and sleeve notes refer to the British monarchy and how it does not represent black immigrants; "Your Queen is not our Queen She does not see us as human". Instead the track titles all refer to influential black women throughout history.[4] The first woman, Ada Eastman, was Hutchings' great grandmother from Barbados

The idea of feeling some sort of community with people who come from the same sort of place as you is fairly innocuous, might be perfectly natural and may even have some benefits.  The idea of using that to define and then turn against an "out group" is always wrong. 

Patriotism, by definition, circumscribes that community feeling within national boundaries and that's just weird. Patriotism means that an English sheep farmer, eking out a living on the slopes of the Northumbrian Cheviots, should feel more kinship with his fellow Englishman - say, a multimillionaire currency speculator in the City of London - than with a Scottish sheep farmer a few miles north. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Hey, we killed Che Guevara AND Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, so never let it be said that Bolivia didn't contribute anything to the world!

American mate of mine put a celebratory post on faceaids yesterday of Che Guevara becoming a "good communist". It was the only post I saw about his death. I don't understand this shit at all. 

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Hey, we killed Che Guevara AND Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, so never let it be said that Bolivia didn't contribute anything to the world!

American mate of mine put a celebratory post on faceaids yesterday of Che Guevara becoming a "good communist". It was the only post I saw about his death. I don't understand this shit at all. 

16 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No. Although Herman Göring said it quite well at the Nuremberg Trials. 

“Of course the people don’t want war. But after all, it’s the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it’s always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it’s a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.”

Terrible people always have great quotes. 

"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a stastic." 

- Joe Stalin.

How ice cold is that?

Dulce Et Decorum Est

Wilfred Owen

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,

Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,

Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,

And towards our distant rest began to trudge.

Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,

But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;

Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots

Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys! — An ecstasy of fumbling

Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,

But someone still was yelling out and stumbling

And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime. —

Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,

As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,

He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace

Behind the wagon that we flung him in,

And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,

His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;

If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood

Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,

Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud

Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues, —

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest

To children ardent for some desperate glory,

The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est

Pro patria mori.*

*It is sweet and proper to die for one's country.

• Upvote 3

• 8 months later...
8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What does that mean?

I think it's to do with one of them standing on the flag during the celebrations. They've been very vocal in refusing to go to the White House if invited.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Obviously way too hard to go and get a ladder, not like it was a life and death instance which needed quick thinking and immediate action. Probably fucking planned. 

Fix a flag but probably remarkably unarsed about Russian meddling in his country's election process because at least he gets to own the libtards.

Side note, always find it interesting that US special forces always look and act like meatheads. Used to know some lad who used to do comedy gigs in Hereford and the SAS were always in the pub but he reckoned you wouldn't have them down as being squaddies in a million years.

30 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Tends to be white fellas who care more about a piece of cloth than a lot of their fellow countrymen and women.

Sometimes they like the Confederate flag though which was, like, the enemy of the United States? 

I don't know what the rules are. 

TNothing wrong with Patriotism I suppose, but if you’re from England it’s not allowed though permitted everywhere else which is quite odd considering the twats that hate England but are quite happy to be part of it and dance to other countries patriotism, Went The Day Well??

• Downvote 2

51 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

TNothing wrong with Patriotism I suppose, but if you’re from England it’s not allowed though permitted everywhere else which is quite odd considering the twats that hate England but are quite happy to be part of it and dance to other countries patriotism, Went The Day Well??

In what way is English patriotism "not allowed"?