You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Patriotism

aRdja

If patriotism hadn’t been commandeered by racists it wouldn’t really be an issue. 

Problem is its used now to make people feel like they aren’t included because they weren’t born somewhere. 

Since Brexit I don’t feel like I particularly belong anywhere, 

i was just born born into the world and I’m doing the best I can to make mine and my kids lives better. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

If patriotism hadn’t been commandeered by racists it wouldn’t really be an issue. 

Problem is its used now to make people feel like they aren’t included because they weren’t born somewhere. 

i was just born born into the world and I’m doing the best I can to make mine and my kids lives better. 

I think we can define our own patriotism.

People who espouse patriotism very often are the least patriotic. Many of our leaders for example, past and present, will send lads into battle with a speech and some faux flag-waving, yet will happily break bread with Russian oligarchs and preside over a capital city where people can't afford a home because it's all been whored out to Chinese developers, or a university system that does the same.

Patriotism for me is what I posted in the 'what makes you proud to be British' thread.

I like our eccentricity (chasing cheese down hills, drawing giant cocks on the side of hills while everyone else was building pyramids and aquaducts), our fairness (even our crooks are honest, very rare you get pick-pocketed in British cities), our underdog spirit, the fact we stand up to bullies and call out shitbags (Trump has had undeniably his worst welcome in London).

You only appreciate the British when you're among a lot of foreigners and there's a couple of Brits there. I don't mean this in a little Britain kind of way, I just mean our ways and the shit we find funny don't often translate or travel well.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I think we can define our own patriotism.

People who espouse patriotism very often are the least patriotic. Many of our leaders for example, past and present, will send lads into battle with a speech and some faux flag-waving, yet will happily break bread with Russian oligarchs and preside over a capital city where people can't afford a home because it's all been whored out to Chinese developers, or a university system that does the same.

Patriotism for me is what I posted in the 'what makes you proud to be British' thread.

I like our eccentricity (chasing cheese down hills, drawing giant cocks on the side of hills while everyone else was building pyramids and aquaducts), our fairness (even our crooks are honest, very rare you get pick-pocketed in British cities), our underdog spirit, the fact we stand up to bullies and call out shitbags (Trump has had undeniably his worst welcome in London).

You only appreciate the British when you're among a lot of foreigners and there's a couple of Brits there. I don't mean this in a little Britain kind of way, I just mean our ways and the shit we find funny don't often translate or travel well.

Our sense of humour and self deprecation is quite unique and is often copied by comedians and satirists,not just British ones either. Brexit has given the cunts a voice when previously they didn't have one.

On 03/08/2019 at 11:18, Fowlers God said:

You'd find that a lot easier if you hadn't started off their wonderful joinery by calling them Tetris, Lancelot and Combine Harvester fella 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
39 minutes ago, Mudface said:

At least my lad won't be subject to this bullshit-

Graham may be right there, but the DfE oversees the England schools, not the Scottish, so this scheduling and announcement would be to be left to Education Scotland to arrange for their pupils. DfE run sites are in until mid/late July.  

• Upvote 1

Nestled within the Grauniad's Ch4 article. They really are going the Norsefire route.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jun/23/ministers-will-push-to-privatise-channel-4-in-tv-shake-up

Dowden has also confirmed his intention to force manufacturers of smart television sets to prominently display services run by traditional British broadcasters on their home screens, a move strongly welcomed by broadcasters.

14 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's Gavin Williamson's department so it shouldn't be a surprise really. At least he was sacked as defence secretary so he's not still in charge of the MoD I suppose. If he wants kids singing "strong britain, great nation" it might be best not to dwell on what he'd have wanted our armed forces doing instead.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

That's Gavin Williamson's department so it shouldn't be a surprise really. At least he was sacked as defence secretary so he's not still in charge of the MoD I suppose. If he wants kids singing "strong britain, great nation" it might be best not to dwell on what he'd have wanted our armed forces doing instead.

Williamson allegedly told Army chiefs to draw up a plan to send troops into several African countries as peacekeepers, but was reportedly champing at the bit for some action. He also wanted to send the Royal Navy into waters by China. He’s a fuckwit who should be nowhere other than in a fire surround sales showroom.