You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Patriotism

aRdja

There are elements of patriotism; pride in positive attributes of one’s own country, similarities within the national character, some sense of togetherness and familiarity with your countrymen, which aren’t entirely hateful, and have been referenced in the proud to be British thing on here.

It’s the stuff which drives the following:  

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."

One of the problems over here is we mostly do patriotism really badly now, and as with anywhere it’s expressed as nationalism it’s instinctively a complete turn-off and general force for bad.

I’m not a particularly tribal sort in general and tend to go with the Stanhope observation that there are only two global borders of dick and not a dick.

Still nowt wrong with liking elements of Britishness though, and I enjoy benign shows of national pride in customs, songs, shared history, togetherness and the like whenever I’m abroad.  

Its a bit like Christmas, in that you can’t let the fucking idiots who do it terribly and take it to the nth degree stop you enjoying the positive bits on your own terms.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

Excerpt from 'Mein Kampf'?

No. Although Herman Göring said it quite well at the Nuremberg Trials. 

“Of course the people don’t want war. But after all, it’s the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it’s always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it’s a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.”

• Upvote 2

We're mostly comfortable and participate in tribalism where f**tie is concerned but scaled up to Nationalism it's regarded as undesirable . I don't mind admitting I loathe Nationalism and have never been more ashamed of this country than now with the way Brexit has lifted a stone on racist gobshites and the population is being manipulated into a situation that will make them worse off, On the other hand Mancs are cunts!

I have a serious hatred for the union jack. Some fella was cycling around town on saturday with a huge union jack on a pole coming off his bike. If he didn't have a dog with a hat and sunglasses on in a bucket at the back of the bike I would have fumed. 

I have to admit I find patriotism, regardless of the country, to be weird.

I know this is because of my rather unique background - born in Brasil, raised in Bolivia, then moved to America, then lived in England, and now in Russia - which means I'm not really "from" any of these places, but it's still a very strange thing to me when people have strong feelings about how great it is to come from wherever they come from.

It always seems especially strange to me when the person in question takes credit for things they had nothing to do with, which is always especially pronounced among people who haven't led particularly noteworthy lives and so they glom onto the accomplishments of others they happen to share a passport with as their own. I suppose the closest I can come to understanding this is with sport, because I certainly will experience a similar feeling when Liverpool are successful, especially if I'm speaking with opposition fans. It's just about the only time in my life where I feel like I understand the tribalism that seems to be a really important factor in the lives of almost everyone around me.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I have to admit I find patriotism, regardless of the country, to be weird.

I know this is because of my rather unique background - born in Brasil, raised in Bolivia, then moved to America, then lived in England, and now in Russia - which means I'm not really "from" any of these places, but it's still a very strange thing to me when people have strong feelings about how great it is to come from wherever they come from.

It always seems especially strange to me when the person in question takes credit for things they had nothing to do with, which is always especially pronounced among people who haven't led particularly noteworthy lives and so they glom onto the accomplishments of others they happen to share a passport with as their own. I suppose the closest I can come to understanding this is with sport, because I certainly will experience a similar feeling when Liverpool are successful, especially if I'm speaking with opposition fans. It's just about the only time in my life where I feel like I understand the tribalism that seems to be a really important factor in the lives of almost everyone around me.

The most un-American thing I've ever read.