You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Travel/city advice

mattyq

Wroclaw was alright and you are right about that square, but didn't seem to have much else going on. But perhaps I hadn't done enough research and was only there a long weekend 10 years ago. For immediate impact Krakow, Warsaw, Zakopane and Gdansk are all preferable though in my opinion.

Zakopane is a good one actually, a cheap skiing resort place with log cabins and lush hills in the South of Poland. I went during summer but I reckon it'd be fucking boss in Winter. You don't have to go far to find someone selling their delicious grilled cheese or Mulled wine.

It was admittedly a bit of a pain in the arse when I went, I figured it'd be easy to get to using public transport from Katowice. I ended up having to get a coach to Krakow, than another one to Zakopane which took maybe 4 hours in total on top of the flight. If you hire a car it'll be a piece of piss and it'll probably be pretty easy if you do more than the 0% planning I did. Krakow is about 100km away from Zakopane and Katowice and Kosice are both within 200km.

16 minutes ago, Remmie said:

It was admittedly a bit of a pain in the arse when I went, I figured it'd be easy to get to using public transport from Katowice. I ended up having to get a coach to Krakow, than another one to Zakopane which took maybe 4 hours in total on top of the flight. If you hire a car it'll be a piece of piss and it'll probably be pretty easy if you do more than the 0% planning I did. Krakow is about 100km away from Zakopane and Katowice and Kosice are both within 200km.

Krakow is the way to go, for flights. I don't like driving abroad so getting about is always a bigger issue than it should be. Coach or train from Krakow to Zakopane is an option. 

On the other side, from Prague, Karpacz (or Szklarska Poreba) is meant to be a nice ski resort and spa town, beautiful part of the country.

11 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Krakow is the way to go, for flights. I don't like driving abroad so getting about is always a bigger issue than it should be. Coach or train from Krakow to Zakopane is an option. 

On the other side, from Prague, Karpacz (or Szklarska Poreba) is meant to be a nice ski resort and spa town, beautiful part of the country.

Agree Krakow is the best airport but not always an available destination from your departure airport depending on the routes, or it may be significantly cheaper to go to a different airport only 60km further away. I always have a mingebag mindset when it comes to going on holiday to save money for injecting cheese and vodka into my bloodstream, but understand others would rather pay a bit more for more convenience.

1 minute ago, polymerpunkah said:

Manhattan. No end of things to see and do. No guarantees on the snow. Expensive, as well. But an amazing city.

Its expensive to get too but not that expensive when there. Easily the most amazing place on the planet City wise. 

1 minute ago, TheBitch said:

SOLD!

It's called Oscypek and it can be barbecued or grilled and eaten on it's own. I love it.

Oscypek:

image.png

image.png

If you have a Polish shop near you they might sell it. If you can't say Oscypek ask for highlander cheese. It's boss.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

I'm visiting Berlin at the end next month with the missus for 5 days.

I've been to Germany a few times, just never Berlin.

What's better for blitzing all the touristy shit while we're there?

Berlin Pass or Berlin Welcome Card?

Berlin Pass is a bit more expensive. Is it worth the extra £££?

There's a flash sale that ends today for €99 per person.

Also in terms of public transport, is the BVV app any good for purchasing tickets or are we better off buying them from the machines? Plan is to buy a 7 day season ticket.

6 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I'm visiting Berlin at the end next month with the missus for 5 days.

I've been to Germany a few times, just never Berlin.

What's better for blitzing all the touristy shit while we're there?

Berlin Pass or Berlin Welcome Card?

Berlin Pass is a bit more expensive. Is it worth the extra £££?

There's a flash sale that ends today for €99 per person.

Also in terms of public transport, is the BVV app any good for purchasing tickets or are we better off buying them from the machines? Plan is to buy a 7 day season ticket.

Been to Berlin several times but not for almost 15 years. Really liked it as a city though. A nice mix of drab ex Soviet style architecture and modern flashy stuff.

On 11/10/2018 at 06:27, Remmie said:

It's called Oscypek and it can be barbecued or grilled and eaten on it's own. I love it.

Oscypek:

image.png

image.png

If you have a Polish shop near you they might sell it. If you can't say Oscypek ask for highlander cheese. It's boss.

I'm in Poland at the moment, as usual at this time of year, and have a fridge full...