You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Travel/city advice

mattyq

I'm 50 in January which doesn't really bother me at all but it seems like I'm expected to acknowledge it in some way

Like the idea of spending 4 or 5 days away with my gf 

Any ideas? 

I'm thinking Rekyavic or Prague or Venice... I've been to Venice but it was 30 years ago. Quite like the idea of going somewhere where there'll be proper amounts of snow but Venice in winter is meant to be pretty cool

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

I'm 50 in January which doesn't really bother me at all but it seems like I'm expected to acknowledge it in some way

Like the idea of spending 4 or 5 days away with my gf 

Any ideas? 

I'm thinking Rekyavic or Prague or Venice... I've been to Venice but it was 30 years ago. Quite like the idea of going somewhere where there'll be proper amounts of snow but Venice in winter is meant to be pretty cool

Well, I’m shocked, mattyq. I had you down as late 30s tops

Vienna looks great. 

Bergen is next on my schedule. Looks very picturesque (particularly in the snow). The temperatures aren't meant to be too bad, but you're apparently talking a big coat and layers weather. I'm swayed by the one day fjord cruises they have there. These run in the winter months too. It's meant to be relatively expensive though for drinks, food etc. 

One not necessarily for winter that looks quite nice is "the Dutch Venice" - a small town called Giethoorn. It looks quite quiet though, so it'd likely be a 1 or 2 day thing, tied in with Amsterdam or somewhere. 

One of the best cities I've been to in the winter was Vilnius in Lithuania; beautiful old town and castle, especially in the snow and the place is just quirky as hell. They have a well celebrated statue of Frank Zappa in some random car park, a bicycle in a tree, a wooly jumper knitted and put on a different tree and mini separate nation called Uzupis which has its own police force, mayor and statue of the town drunk, you can also get a stamp in your passport. I love the beer they have, it has a very unique feel to it which is very easy drinking. 

There was also this cocktail bar where I filmed this (extremely badly): 

• Upvote 1

I would swerve Rekyavic ( weather usually shit, expensive and not a lot to do unless you travel )

Venice is brilliant but you need to stay somewhere central which is expensive

Rome is spectacular but very crowded, traffic a mare,

Prague ok but too many stag parties

Vienna is a good call

Never been to Vilnius 

Florence is a great city , well worth a look and would be my call

• Upvote 1

The Italy shouts are all great but not in January. You want to go somewhere fucking freezing so you can both wrap up and be all cosy and romantic. Ive never been to Vienna but it sounds tailor made for what you are looking for. Or what about Berlin? Take her breath away. 

Failing that... get your arse to Mars 

Was looking at vilinus earlier this year (got to be careful with that sentence on auto-correct...), so do that and tell me how you got on.

It looks great. Reckon Remmie is the man to ask though. Give you the inside scoop on all the best places to plank.

46 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The Italy shouts are all great but not in January. You want to go somewhere fucking freezing so you can both wrap up and be all cosy and romantic. Ive never been to Vienna but it sounds tailor made for what you are looking for. Or what about Berlin? Take her breath away. 

Failing that... get your arse to Mars 

Exactly that, Stig

Never been to Berlin or Vilnius, both sound ace

I'll toss a coin

Florence is gorgeous.  Venice is lovely in winter too.  I've been to Naples in the winter and it snowed.  Don't go there though, it's full of scruffs and cunts.

Vienna, Munich or one of the smaller Swiss cities in the winter should do you Matty.  Can't believe you're 50 though.

• Upvote 1

Brugge is a great place for a nice romantic winter break and better value than some of the usual spots, In Jan it'll be cold so you'll both we well wrapped up walking around all the winter stalls and bars etc The big plus is the never ending choice of  beers .Plenty of deals to be had on hotels too

Shout out to Dusseldorf too ,a really vibrant place , great city centre of bustling non rip off bars  and walkihg along the Rhine is just amazing in the winter ..plus the added advantage of the incredible beers .Again there are some really good hotel deals to avail of ,especially with the Radissons

Warsaw is another good shout ,,,loads to see and do and again the value for money is far better .Bar wise its simply incredible

Remmie is spot on with Vilnius too

• Upvote 2