You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

IPCC Report

Spy Bee

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, Spy Bee said:

Stop driving your car or we're all going to burn to death in a decade or two.

Nobody is listening though. Lemmings.

I've been going on about this for years, cars are a massive, massive problem in the World & nobody seems to give a fuck.

Our household doesn't have one so I'm not taking any of the blame when it all goes tits up.

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

Our household doesn't have one so I'm not taking any of the blame when it all goes tits up.

I'm sure that will offer huge comfort as you swim past your roof trusses in water polluted by the nitrates of the rotting corpses on the lowlanders. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

This needs to happen from the ground up. Education is the key to this. People like Afroz Shah are absolute heroes and many more like him are needed. Relying on governments and corps isn't going to work because it means spending their easy-robbed money.

Had no idea who this guy was. Looked at his UN Champion Of The Earth 2016 video. The absolute state of that beach before he started. What an exceptional man.

Seems as good a place as any to put this, for anyone interested.....

'Plastic, plastic, plastic': British diver films sea of rubbish off Bali

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/06/plastic-british-diver-films-sea-rubbish-bali-indonesia

We have all seen horrific headlines like this. Recycling clearly begins at home- we want to act appropriately on recycling personally, and we want to campaign for best practice.

To help us get a fix on where we are locally with recycling we have invited Mr. Carl Beer, the Chief Executive of Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority (http://www.merseysidewda.gov.uk/about-us/) to be the speaker at the next Liverpool Green Party monthly discussion.

He will give us a presentation, and answer questions on the realities of current recycling practice on Merseyside, on the opportunity for developing a circular economy, re-using our waste, and on the likely direction of the forthcoming National Waste and Recycling Strategy.

Venue: the Quaker Meeting House, 22 School Lane, Liverpool L1 3BT, UK

Date:Wednesday 24 October 2018 . Business meeting for members only at 7.00pm.

Recycling discussion at 7.30 pm open to members, supporters and the general public.

If you have any questions or concerns please get in touch with me at membership@liverpool.greenparty.org.uk

Our web page: https://liverpool.greenparty.org.uk

39 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Had no idea who this guy was. Looked at his UN Champion Of The Earth 2016 video. The absolute state of that beach before he started. What an exceptional man.

I'd encourage people to follow him on Twitter. His achievements are great in the face of adversity. He almost gave it up a year ago when they were being attacked on the beach by scumbags drinking, hitting the women with sticks.

The local government also dragged it's feet over collection of the filth they took off the beach because it had sand on it. There's always some bureaucracy guaranteed to put a spanner in the works. 

13 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I'm all for helping the environment but how fucking boss was the weather today. 

I mean when have you ever been able to sit in the beer garden with just a shirt on  in the middle of October?......

Silver-linings and all that I guess 

You should have kept your kecks on.

• Upvote 1

We're fucked, I've come to accept that. 12 years should be long enough to get off the grid (working on getting off gas and I'd love a small heat-pump solution with PV for energy) and become self-sufficient for food (we already have a third of the garden as allotment, I'd just double it). Plus, I live at the top of a hill/valley so no chance of flooding from rising sea levels. We have enough garden space for a couple of refugee tents when Hull-born family have to evacuate the floods.

22 hours ago, Mook said:

I've been going on about this for years, cars are a massive, massive problem in the World & nobody seems to give a fuck.

People have been conditioned to not give a fuck. We have become so reliant on the state to solve all our problems that people don't think about the consequences of their own actions. "Not to worry, the government will sort it out." Of course, they then proceed to elect governments with no plan to sort it out.

A lot of people are going to get a very short, sharp lesson in personal responsibility very soon. In the meantime, buy land on elevated ground.

1 hour ago, moof said:

Only governments can sort it out. There’s very little anyone can alter in their personal lives that will effect our course. It will take political will. 

Nonsense. If everyone went vegetarian it would have a bigger impact than if everyone stopped driving cars, such is the carbon footprint of livestock. But governments can't force people to do that. And that's just one small lifestyle change.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Nonsense. If everyone went vegetarian it would have a bigger impact than if everyone stopped driving cars, such is the carbon footprint of livestock. But governments can't force people to do that. And that's just one small lifestyle change.

I don't see that it's a competition between eating meat & driving cars but if it was, I believe in the US transportation contributes about 28% of greenhouse gases (obviously not just cars) & Agriculture, 9% (according to the 2016 link below).

I'm by no means an expert on any of this though so I'm happy to be educated. Personally, I think if everyone did a little bit (eat less meat, recycle more, use less water/power & drive your car less) then it would have a huge beneficial effect.

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I don't see that it's a competition between eating meat & driving cars but if it was, I believe in the US transportation contributes about 28% of greenhouse gases (obviously not just cars) & Agriculture, 9% (according to the 2016 link below).

I'm by no means an expert on any of this though so I'm happy to be educated. Personally, I think if everyone did a little bit (eat less meat, recycle more, use less water/power & drive your car less) then it would have a huge beneficial effect.

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions

I'm pretty confident that, certainly on a global scale, livestock contributes more CO2 emissions than transport. There is also the methane from livestock to take into consideration, and methane is 25 times more damaging than CO2.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/21/giving-up-beef-reduce-carbon-footprint-more-than-cars

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/07/big-meat-big-dairy-carbon-emmissions-exxon-mobil

It certainly couldn't hurt to drive less as well as reducing meat consumption. I don't drive, but if I did, it would be a low-emission vehicle. The idea that we are powerless to act as individuals though is clearly rubbish - every single one of us (or at least, most of us) has the means to at least halve our personal emissions.

• Upvote 4

https://amp.slate.com/technology/2018/10/who-is-we-causing-climate-change.html?via=gdpr-consent

Interesting short piece on some of the forces most at fault and what’s preventing us from reversing the damage. Essentially, relying on consumer processes to affect change is ultimately meaningless without the political will to uproot the entire structure of global economies.