You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Town

Section_31

As with any city there are good and bad points. The homeless issue has definitely got worse and walking through town at half 7 in the morning before work is massively depressing. Seems like every shop doorway on Church street has a homeless person in it. 

My main gripe at the minute with town is the fucking students. They are literally everywhere and they don't give a fuck about anyone around them. Thick as pigshit with no common sense most of them. They literally walk right in-front of you and expect you to stop or manoeuvre around them. The way some of them act on a night out is a joke as well. Like its their first ever pint every single night. The city skyline is changing on account of their fucking buildings being built everywhere. Walked out of Lime St at the side by the crown a few weeks ago and fucking shit myself at the huge one opposite where the Punch and Judy used to be. 3 fucking Universities in town now and they are like fucking locusts. 

As for places to drink, If you go to Concert Square on any given night then its your own fault. My mate lived on Wood St and we used to go to McCooleys for the match but fuck doing that again. 

Still some boss alehouses in town, The Liffey, Pogues, The Slaughterhouse, The Cornmarket, Ship & Mitre.... In-fact there are loads. As has been said, it depends on where you go/what you want. I don't mind Mathew St on the odd night or afternoon because I love live music. 

As for Bold St, some lovely places to eat up there. Full of fucking students though. 

Student cunts. 

1 hour ago, A Red said:

Just to add a positive bent.

My mrs works for an american company that operates walking and bicycling tours all over the world including the UK, she sets them, up picks the hotels and arranges the itineraries.  Anyway,we had to go up in the summer for my aunties funeral, it was the first time she'd been to Liverpool. We wandered round the waterfront and in to town and she was really impressed, so much so she is up there now planning an optional extension to a walking tour she has in the lake district and fully expects a big pick up. Not just because of the Beatles.

As uk cities go, its still one of the best

The city looks better than it ever has. The waterfront is beautiful as is the dock, the main shopping areas though have gotten a lot worse IMO.

It's basically getting that shitty northern town vibe. Those fellas making those fucking sand dogs, random mentalists and just generally shabby looking.

I agree to an extent that this is partly due to the way town centres are heading, but I think there's things you can do to make it appealing.

Having more coppers to clamp down on rowdy groups, limits to touting and PR, strict quality control on busking and street entertainment - and i don't mean you have to be Bob Dylan, just that you can't stand there growling into a kids microphone that isn't switched on at 'the' main junction of town.

The homelessness/begging issue needs looking at too, there's a big difference between having no sympathy for someone trying to get their head down in a doorway, and allowing them to pitch a three man tent on the main drag outside a major bank in the city's busiest street.

I suspect there's politics at work here. With Labour increasingly factionalised in the city, I suspect clamping down on it would be used by some as 'proof Joe Anderson and his cronies don't care about our must vulnerable people' so they can't be seen to make it an issue. Possibly they're waiting until people/The Echo et al demand something is done about it.. 

I've got real sympathy for anyone who's genuinely fallen on hard times, but I can not be arsed going somewhere where I'm going to get hounded every time I want to use a cash point or walk down a  certain street, or have to see people swilling from open whisky bottles.

The city really needs to think about these things if it's going to remain a top destination in my view.

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The city looks better than it ever has. The waterfront is beautiful as is the dock, the main shopping areas though have gotten a lot worse IMO.

It's basically getting that shitty northern town vibe. Those fellas making those fucking sand dogs, random mentalists and just generally shabby looking.

I agree to an extent that this is partly due to the way town centres are heading, but I think there's things you can do to make it appealing.

Having more coppers to clamp down on rowdy groups, limits to touting and PR, strict quality control on busking and street entertainment - and i don't mean you have to be Bob Dylan, just that you can't stand there growling into a kids microphone that isn't switched on at 'the' main junction of town.

The homelessness/begging issue needs looking at too, there's a big difference between having no sympathy for someone trying to get their head down in a doorway, and allowing them to pitch a three man tent on the main drag outside a major bank in the city's busiest street.

I suspect there's politics at work here. With Labour increasingly factionalised in the city, I suspect clamping down on it would be used by some as 'proof Joe Anderson and his cronies don't care about our must vulnerable people' so they can't be seen to make it an issue. Possibly they're waiting until people/The Echo et al demand something is done about it.. 

I've got real sympathy for anyone who's genuinely fallen on hard times, but I can not be arsed going somewhere where I'm going to get hounded every time I want to use a cash point or walk down a  certain street, or have to see people swilling from open whisky bottles.

The city really needs to think about these things if it's going to remain a top destination in my view.

We speak to men living in TENT in Liverpool City Centre for six months

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/speak-men-living-tent-liverpool-14902154

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

As with any city there are good and bad points. The homeless issue has definitely got worse and walking through town at half 7 in the morning before work is massively depressing. Seems like every shop doorway on Church street has a homeless person in it. 

My main gripe at the minute with town is the fucking students. They are literally everywhere and they don't give a fuck about anyone around them. Thick as pigshit with no common sense most of them. They literally walk right in-front of you and expect you to stop or manoeuvre around them. The way some of them act on a night out is a joke as well. Like its their first ever pint every single night. The city skyline is changing on account of their fucking buildings being built everywhere. Walked out of Lime St at the side by the crown a few weeks ago and fucking shit myself at the huge one opposite where the Punch and Judy used to be. 3 fucking Universities in town now and they are like fucking locusts. 

As for places to drink, If you go to Concert Square on any given night then its your own fault. My mate lived on Wood St and we used to go to McCooleys for the match but fuck doing that again. 

Still some boss alehouses in town, The Liffey, Pogues, The Slaughterhouse, The Cornmarket, Ship & Mitre.... In-fact there are loads. As has been said, it depends on where you go/what you want. I don't mind Mathew St on the odd night or afternoon because I love live music. 

As for Bold St, some lovely places to eat up there. Full of fucking students though. 

Student cunts. 

Fucking Paul Calf here!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

Town is still good for a bevvy if you're out with the lads you come into town early then fuck off earlyish before the  dicks come out and then it's back to your local which for me is Woolton village .....

Or maybe that's just my age

There’s only about 3 pubs left in woolton!

As with most problems you can rest assured the Tory party always comes up with an answer

At least 440 homeless people died in UK in past year, study shows

Charities condemn ‘horrifying’ number of deaths on streets and in shelters

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/08/homeless-people-die-uk-2017

GlIIulis?format=jpg&name=600x314

13 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Don't disagree with any of that

For me it's mainly a getting older thing... much prefer a few quiet pints or a meal than drinking with the bastard youth of today

• Upvote 2

• 11 months later...

I was in town this morning walking down Bold Street around 10.20 after heading to Size? to pick up a pair of Adidas ZX 500. I was by Central Station when I heard a bit of a commotion.  A busker with a trumpet was having a go at a lad across the street and I thought I heard him say something about not shitting in the street. At first I thought I’d misheard, but then I looked at this lad and the dirty bastard had only gone a left a steaming pile of sloppy shite on the floor. He had a napkin and probably because the other fella had been shouting at him he proceeded to start to pick up his mess. I’m not sure if he was homeless as there weren’t any sleeping bags or anything where he did the deed.

And town was chocker full of tourists this morning with the reds playing at home. What the fuck would anyone think seeing that?

I couldn’t believe what I’d witnessed. Fucking disgusting twat.

6 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I was in town this morning walking down Bold Street around 10.20 after heading to Size? to pick up a pair of Adidas ZX 500. I was by Central Station when I heard a bit of a commotion.  A busker with a trumpet was having a go at a lad across the street and I thought I heard him say something about not shitting in the street. At first I thought I’d misheard, but then I looked at this lad and the dirty bastard had only gone a left a steaming pile of sloppy shite on the floor. He had a napkin and probably because the other fella had been shouting at him he proceeded to start to pick up his mess. I’m not sure if he was homeless as there weren’t any sleeping bags or anything where he did the deed.

And town was chocker full of tourists this morning with the reds playing at home. What the fuck would anyone think seeing that?

I couldn’t believe what I’d witnessed. Fucking disgusting twat.

That was aRdja. Told you. That uncooked bacon will fucking kill him one day. If a busker doesn't first. 

39 minutes ago, Carradona said:

Going to be staying in town for 3 nights at the beginning of October with the wife.

Any restaurant/pub/bar recommendations are appreciated. I lived in town from 2008-2012 and come back a few times every year but always end up going to the same spots. 

Maray

Maray

Maray 

Am I being an arsehole here? Was on Lark Lane the other night, bloke on the floor and I heard 'spare change?'. I looke down and he was on his phone. 'Sorry mate no money'. 'Cheers lads'. He replied, without looking up. I mean, at least try and maintain a pretense - no? 

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Am I being an arsehole here? Was on Lark Lane the other night, bloke on the floor and I heard 'spare change?'. I looke down and he was on his phone. 'Sorry mate no money'. 'Cheers lads'. He replied, without looking up. I mean, at least try and maintain a pretense - no? 

Got a chippy from West Derby village a few weeks back. Homeless fella outside so I thought I'd buy him a bag of chips. Get home, open mine and it was just plain chips. I'd only given the cunt my sausage dinner by accident. I nearly went back. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Got a chippy from West Derby village a few weeks back. Homeless fella outside so I thought I'd buy him a bag of chips. Get home, open mine and it was just plain chips. I'd only given the cunt my sausage dinner by accident. I nearly went back. 

Nothing new you handing out Sausage dinners.