You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last album you listened to

Sugar Ape

Egypy Station by Paul McCartney

Managed to bag two tickets to see him in the Echo arena in December in the presale so thought I'd better give the new album a listen.

16 songs so a bit of filler on there but overall a good listen. A little bit of everything on there, rock, folk, ballads, the only tracks that don't really hit are a couple of contemporary tracks.

Some slightly cringy lyrics as well, such as:

I sat round all day
I used to get stoned
I liked to get wasted
But these days I don‘t
'Cause I'm happy with you
I got lots of good things to do, ooh yeah

He gets away with it though. Wouldn't be in a rush to listen to the whole album again but will definitely be adding a few tracks to my playlists. Overall a 7/10.

Erratic Cinematic by Gerry Cinnamon

Going to see the Courteeners in Llandudno next month with a couple of my mates and he’s supporting. Heard a few songs but put the whole album on before. 

He’s selling gigs out on his own within minutes and is doing it all without having a record label. Erratic cinematic is his first album which he crowdfunded.

Most songs are acoustic/indie type songs and it’s a good little album. I like some of the lyrics, well what I can understand. He’s very, very Scottish. It’s like listening to a post by Mook at times and you don’t know what the cunt is talking about.

7.5/10 for me.

My son saw Gerry Cinnamon at Transmt in Glasgow in the summer, absolutely loved him. My fave-

Been listening to a lot of Parquet Courts at the moment. Wide Awake! is fantastic, can't get Freebird II out of my head at the moment- 9/10.

Also, Total Football-

Might try and see them in Glasgow in November.

• Upvote 1

Black Peaks - ‘All that Divides’

9/10

Only 9 tracks but one word I’d describe it is, Epic. 

Each song has so much happening, a multitude of time signature changes...etc all played by brilliant musicians and the album ticks all the boxes for me.

It’s a massive body and an impressive collection of work for only their second album. I’ve listened to it quite a few times since it’s release on Friday and I’m finding lots of new things each time. 

Even if prog metal isn’t your thing (it’s not really mine at all) there’s somthing in this album for most people. The theme around the album seems to be a statement on how hate and divide is affecting society, nice positive message and they seem like a good bunch of lads too. 

Check out the guitar solo and bass/drum interplay on the below number. Brilliant. 

Most talented band in the UK currently, for me.

Parquet Courts are excellent Mudface - good work.

Be the Cowboy, by Mitski

Japanese-American indie girl pop.  A little bit of guitars, a bit of disco, a few torch songs (not my favourites). None of the songs outstay their welcome and there's enough quirk in the lyrics and the sounds to keep it interesting.

Trying to think who she reminds me of, and it might be of the Cardigans a bit.

Won't change your life, and not one for the hard rock misogynists, but I quite liked it.

7/10

Double Negative by Harmony

Local (to Melbourne) one this.  Dark and powerful meditations on the folly, pain and redemptive power of love.

Sparse instrumentation, with some swooping, (harmonious) backing vocals. 

You have to be in the mood, but I really dig it.

8/10

• 4 weeks later...

Con Todo El Mundo by Khruangbin

Mostly instrumental Latin guitar groovy stuff.  Starts off great, but maybe gets a trifle samey towards the end of the record.  Still absolutely ideal lazing in the sun music.  6.85/10

Maria Tambien is the most lively song, and also probably my favourite:

On 10/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, DimReaper said:

Had a good few of my favourite albums on today:

Black Dog Productions - Bytes - 9/10

Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out - 9/10

Felt - Forever Breathes the Lonely Word - 8/10

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas  - 10/10

Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen - 9.5/10

Repped for Cocteau Twins.

• Upvote 1

Tears for Fears - Songs from the big chair. 9/10

Great stuff from start to finish. Only knew the hits from back in the day but the musicianship on display throughout this album is top notch. Love Head over heels and Mothers talk and not to mention Shout and Rule the world.

Seeing them in January. Really looking forward to it.

Never appreciated them when I was younger. And I certainly didn't appreciate their songwriting, production and musicianship. Gives me that nice nostalgic feeling for the 80's too and some cool synths.

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2018 at 11:45 AM, Red Dawn said:

Tears for Fears - Songs from the big chair. 9/10

Great stuff from start to finish. Only knew the hits from back in the day but the musicianship on display throughout this album is top notch. Love Head over heels and Mothers talk and not to mention Shout and Rule the world.

Seeing them in January. Really looking forward to it.

Never appreciated them when I was younger. And I certainly didn't appreciate their songwriting, production and musicianship. Gives me that nice nostalgic feeling for the 80's too and some cool synths.

I’m going to see them in February in the gig that was rescheduled from earlier in the year. Saw them supporting The Killers in Hyde Park a couple of years ago and they’re boss live. 

Give their first album, The Hurting, a go if you haven’t already. I picked it up on vinyl brand new for about a tenner last year and it’s boss. Got Mad World and Pale Shelter on it. Pale Shelter is their best song in my humble opinion.

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...

Pacific Ocean Blue by Dennis Wilson, brother of Brian and ex Beach Boy. 

Saw this on a list of great ‘lost’ albums so dug it out for a listen. Think it was the only solo album he did before dying at the age of 39.

Enjoyed it a lot and will definitely give it a few more listens. He’s got a great voice and seen one review on his wiki describe the album as ‘Kurt Cobain produced by Phil Spector’. Worth a listen. 

7/10.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Pacific Ocean Blue by Dennis Wilson, brother of Brian and ex Beach Boy. 

Saw this on a list of great ‘lost’ albums so dug it out for a listen. Think it was the only solo album he did before dying at the age of 39.

Enjoyed it a lot and will definitely give it a few more listens. He’s got a great voice and seen one review on his wiki describe the album as ‘Kurt Cobain produced by Phil Spector’. Worth a listen. 

7/10.

It's an amazing album that & it's a grower too.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Christone 'Kingfisher' Ingram

Must listen for blues fans. So many various sounds of my favourite artists. BB King, Buddy Guy, Allman Brothers and Stevie Ray all mixed in there. A little bit of Aerosmith in the first track too. Brilliant album.