You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester City (H) Premier League 7/10/18 Match Thread

an tha

The table is looking better then our games have been lately, must start some kind of a rythem after the internationals or i can see us start throwing away points, i think we have been lucky against chelsea and city today, our attack is pretty much useless at the moment with Mane the only one with any credit to his name, and the midfield is only usefull in the centre circle, the defence has been boss for all season and i think even lovren did okey today. 

Journo: Jürgen, all 3 forwards were marked out of the game, you had nobody running from deep and and no width. What do you say to that?

Klopp: In some aspects, that's a fair comment but in others, no I totally disagree.

Journo: Jürgen, what about fitness? Salah looked knackered after 20 minutes.

Klopp: Yes, but what a 20 minutes it was.

• Upvote 1

can't be disappointed about breaking club record league consecutive clean sheets at home. solid base and who'd have thought that a season or two ago with some of the previous comedy? we've got genuine monsters back there now.

the front will click again soon enough. at Arsenal will do

Don’t really agree with the ‘ we were really lucky ‘ thrust , just thought it was a dour game with defences on top and all of the stats are practically identical for both sides. BBC saying City’s lowest possession percentage in a Prem game since he arrived - 51%.

1 hour ago, Elite said:

As bad as we look we are still getting results and our points tally is excellent considering our run of games. The attack is massive concern though but we've got games against weaker sides now so hopefully that'll build the confidence if they can grab a few goals each. It doesn't help that the midfield offers zero creativity.

I’m with you.

Each of the back four made the odd error, but none of those errors cost us goals. Lovren surprised me with his solidity, and was genuinely more creative going forward than Henderson (I say this, not as a compliment to Lovren ;-)

Which brings us to the reason we aren’t scoring goals. Our midfield is woefully lacking in forward momentum. The partnership of Milner, Wij and Hendo, is simply not ‘cutting the mustard’. At least Milner and Wij have balls - but are lacking that little bit of luck recently. However, Henderson is totally inadequate as a holding midfielder. Even a ‘holder’ simply has to have the ability to feed the strikers, but because Hendo is so completely inadequate at this, our strikers are limited in feed to just the fullbacks. We are being severely handicapped with Henderson in the side. For me, Keita and/or Shaq, need to be starting far more than they are.

Klopp sent Sturridge on to repeat his Chelsea antic, but it was the wrong move for me. Shaq would have been the better option to make a difference, for me. Give him a fucking go Kloppo.

We missed Milner when he went off, and although Gomez was solid, we missed TAA.

After the break, I want Klopp to show a bit of flexibilty in his starting 11. We’re well below our potential so far this season, but we are still equal top in a 3 way tie, so, really, not much to complain about. If Kloppo can be more mutable, we’ll raise our team performance, and results will be there.

• Upvote 1

Someone posted a heat map at half time earlier showing that we basically had none of the ball in the centre of the park/in advanced midfield positions and then nothing attacking centrally...our midfield is a real worry - it does not create anything, it is not especially good at shielding the back four and nobody in there gives us real forward momentum and nobody can control the tempo.

Klopp must be aware and hopefully will be fixing it.

28 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Don’t really agree with the ‘ we were really lucky ‘ thrust , just thought it was a dour game with defences on top and all of the stats are practically identical for both sides. BBC saying City’s lowest possession percentage in a Prem game since he arrived - 51%.

Agree with that. Both sides canceled each other out in a cautious game and both got what they deserved. 

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

Feels like keita is playing it too safe, need to take the chains off and let him fuck this league up and accept his mistakes 

Huddersfield (a), Red Star Belgrade (h), Cardiff (h), Red Star (a) and Fulham (h) are 5 of next 6 games when we get back off international break and before the break for November internationals - left out Arsenal away as obviously that looks a tough game now.

We need to build back up momentum and get the front 3 scoring again as well as get Keita, Shaqiri and Fabinho integrated into the team. You couldn't pick an easier run of games on paper so should be a chance to start scoring goals again.

As soon as that penalty was conceded, even before seeing who was taking it, I had a very strong feeling it wasn't going in, like I was completely relaxed about it. I'm clearly psycho. 

We really need to give Huddersfield a proper tanking in the next game and get the forwards in some type of form because it's difficult to see where the goals are coming from at the minute - certainly not from the midfield. Not sure why Shaqiri isn't seeing any action. Thought Keita looked more promising today though. 

Come on, Jurgen, switch things around, mix things up, and make it work. Right now, we don't see enough coordination between midfield and the forwards. Also, where is that slick, overlapping movement that destablises and confuses many a defense thus allowing our forwards to score freely! Above all, make the best use of the resources at your disposal. Sturridge and Shak have demonstrated that they are capable of changing games and should be given enough minutes. Having said that however I had said before the game I would be happy with a draw and I am.