You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester City (H) Premier League 7/10/18 Match Thread

an tha

I'd be happy with a draw, given our poor form thus far. City is developing into a gargantuan of a team, which left unchecked, could pause a danger to the integrity of the entire game of football. Can't see any English team beating them right now but if anybody can, it would be Liverpool. So let's do this Reds. 

7 hours ago, niallers said:

Speaking of set pieces,isn't it time for our centre backs to start chipping in from them? One area of van dijks game that can be improved. The malingerer.

Im really surprised how little threat he’s been.  Never even looks like scoring.   I don’t mind that when he’s such a rock at the back tbf.

3 hours ago, Grinch said:

Im really surprised how little threat he’s been.  Never even looks like scoring.   I don’t mind that when he’s such a rock at the back tbf.

The recent development whereby we throw VVD and Gomez in front of the keeper doesn’t help our potency at all imo.

I hope to fuck i am wrong but got a bad feeling about today that we are gonna get beat and not just beat but bummed dead hard.

The spaces we left around and behind TAA in midweek will be targeted big time by these today and it is hard to see us closing those spaces down and with their quality they will hurt us badly if we don't tighten up.

Add in the poor form of our front men and sadly I can see what will be called a 'real statement' win for City today.

Prove me wrong, Redmen....please!

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

I hope to fuck i am wrong but got a bad feeling about today that we are gonna get beat and not just beat but bummed dead hard.

The spaces we left around and behind TAA in midweek will be targeted big time by these today and it is hard to see us closing those spaces down and with their quality they will hurt us badly if we don't tighten up.

Add in the poor form of our front men and sadly I can see what will be called a 'real statement' win for City today.

Prove me wrong, Redmen....please!

Clyne needs to play today. Milner RM as well to shore it up down that flank. 

1 minute ago, magicrat said:

1 minute ago, magicrat said:

I wonder if Milner will have the legs today - been playing every game in this busy run.

I would play Clyne today but i'd play Shaqiri too - last season when we did them 4-3 the midfield 3 was Can, Wij, Oxlade... i'd use Shaqiri in the Oxlade role today...with Hendo and Wij the other two.

Shaqiri doesn't have the stamina or the defensive mentality to press like Ox did in these games last season.

Don't think we've got the answers to all the questions City will pose today, not with half the squad knackered and the other half rusty or off form. Would have been nice to get some minutes out of Lallana at some point before today to give Wijnaldum or Milner a bit of a break but obviously he's been injured again.

A point wouldn't be a bad result at all today.

18 minutes ago, an tha said:

I wonder if Milner will have the legs today - been playing every game in this busy run.

I would play Clyne today but i'd play Shaqiri too - last season when we did them 4-3 the midfield 3 was Can, Wij, Oxlade... i'd use Shaqiri in the Oxlade role today...with Hendo and Wij the other two.

You’re worried about them bringing De Bruyne in and then advocating playing the Shaq in our mid, he played well for the 45 mins he was on v SOTON but the midfield as a whole looked shit, that shit Klopp changed it. This is City FFS. A midfield of 2 plus the Shaq would get reamed by City. I hope De Bruyne and Mendy play, Mendy looks ace going forward but he would leave acres of space if he were to play his normal game, De Bruyne has Only played 30 mins this season, coming back to pre season late after his World Cup, he won’t be anywhere near upto speed,  especially in a game like this. 

9 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

You’re worried about them bringing De Bruyne in and then advocating playing the Shaq in our mid, he played well for the 45 mins he was on v SOTON but the midfield as a whole looked shit, that shit Klopp changed it. This is City FFS. A midfield of 2 plus the Shaq would get reamed by City. I hope De Bruyne and Mendy play, Mendy looks ace going forward but he would leave acres of space if he were to play his normal game, De Bruyne has Only played 30 mins this season, coming back to pre season late after his World Cup, he won’t be anywhere near upto speed,  especially in a game like this. 

I just wanna see some threat in an attacking sense in there and someone who can carry the fight to them...in the way Ox did in the 4-3...i can't see it in the 3 who played midweek and we don't have any other options so i'd roll the dice and do it in the name of going toe to toe with them and looking to hit them hard.

I just think the middle of the park needs some pace, some potency and some creativity - we are really short of it in there.

As it happens i don't think he will go that way anyway but for me would be worth a shot for an hour or so then bring Milner on to make it a bit more solid if we are winning.

As for DeBruyne - not mentioned him.

I agree about Mendy

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

I just wanna see some legs in there and someone who can carry the fight to them...in the way Ox did in the 4-3...i can't see it in the 3 who played midweek and we don't have any other options so i'd roll the dice and do it in the name of going toe to toe with them and looking to hit them hard.

As it happens i don't think he will go that way anyway but for me would be worth a shot for an hour or so then bring Milner on to make it a bit more solid if we are winning.

As for DeBruyne - not mentioned him.

I agree about Mendy

Yeah, it was ARdja that mentioned he was worried about De Bruyne. Apologies. You’re still wrong over the Sqaq in a midfield 3 though! I’d like to see Shaq start though, at the expense of Mane. 

6 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Yeah, it was ARdja that mentioned he was worried about De Bruyne. Apologies. You’re still wrong over the Sqaq in a midfield 3 though! I’d like to see Shaq start though, at the expense of Mane. 

When he played v Southampton it became a 4-2-3-1 didn't it with Hendo and Wij the two, Shaqiri in a 3 with Mane and Firmino and Salah more advanced.

But as you say Klopp jibbed it - worth noting we were 3-0 up when he did and his changed team never added to that 3....or looked likely to...now of course that can be down to the game being already won as such.

I just wondered if it was worth a shot today or to see if Shaqiri could do that Oxlade type job.