You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Excluding children from school/general advice.

Ezekiel 25:17

I've got a meeting in my lads school on Thursday with the board of governors about his behaviour, apparently it's a showdown meeting and they have 'already made a decision' about his future at the school. To give a bit of background he's 12, an all boys school, and he has a lot of issues with his behaviour, but it's persistent low level things, not concentrating, laughing/joking. distracting others. He's not done anything that I would deem serious i.e assault a teacher, swear at a teacher, attack another kid, but all the same he's not behaving as he should, and I do accept that. I just have this feeling they are going to say he is being excluded and I suppose my question is can they do that ?? to a 12 year old child for what he has done ?? .

The maddest part is if you met him you'd think he's the nicest kid in the world, he's never been naughty for me, doesn't answer back, swear, he literally does nothing, but he goes to school and seems to just not want to be there, and not try, not sure how I should approach the meeting in all honesty, but I don't want to go in unprepared, I'm well capable of speaking to people and have no doubt I'll more than hold my own, but even still, appreciate if if anyone has been arsed enough to read this.

5 minutes ago, Seasons said:

I don't work in legal nor do I know much about law but what I do know is how to Google. I Googled and found this: https://childlawadvice.org.uk/information-pages/school-exclusion/

Could be relevant? 

Cheers yeah I've had a look over all of that, I suppose I was just looking for peoples opinions and if they've encountered anything similar.

What kind of school is it mate? Is it an academy? I've read lots of stuff about them excluding people for very little to boost their academic performance.

My cousin gets similar treatment. He's got ADHD but is a lovely lad, chats and fidgets a lot and I think they want him out for that reason, I.e it's too much trouble to teach him and manage his behaviour, they just see him as a  burden.

I would consider contacting your councillor mate or even your MP if you get nowhere. That will put them on notice that people are watching to see if their decision making is all above board.

You can also contact Ofsted about it mate. Paul will know better but I reckon reaching out to them for advice first might be handy as you can name drop them in your meeting. 

Has he been temporarily excluded before? What are the schools policies? Is it an academy? What are the policies of the local authority?

What is the history of the schools own actions to help him improve?

Lastly what conversations have you had with the lad? What is it he wants? What does he want long term?

There are 2 type of exclusions mate, a fixed term exclusion and a permanent exclusion. Permanent exclusion is where he is removed from the school entirely and by what you have said they have no legal basis to do that. 

However they may may put in a fixed term exclusion (what we would call a suspension back in the day) and maybe look to keep him off for a set period. If they do that there are still legalities that school have to follow (off the top of my head still ensuring that he is provided with work being one of them)  and I would recommend looking these up because it is rare that schools do follow these legalities properly and if you Ever get to the point of having to deal with a permanent exclusion you will be able to appeal if they haven’t followed the proper procedure. Keep a record of everything as well. 

If his behaviour hasn’t been great then interventions should have been already put in place to try and address this, things like putting him on report, access to the learning mentor or learning support before you have reached the point of exclusion. Also it costs the school a lot of money and is bad for their figures if they permanently exclude kids, therefore there are other options to be explored. Google what a managed move and a negotiated transfer is as these are options that will not negatively impact your lads permanent record.

• Upvote 2

Pretty sure it takes a really serious incident to get fully expelled from a school. If he is 12 I assume he is in his first year so maybe its the settling in, new people in his classes he doesn't like etc. Every school has to have a stage process unless he has say , stabbed a teacher, before they expel him. Schools have a duty of care to support disruptive pupils. Especially in an all boys school. pastoral care, councillors etc. Make sure the meeting will be minuted and tell them you will take it to the board of governors if they haven't followed procedure. 

That has all just come from someone i've asked a minute ago who works in something similar regarding kids and is pretty certain that unless he has done something really bad, your just gonna get told to assist the school in helping him toe the line. 

My own view is you need to arm him up. A big fuck off tomahawk. Chopper style. 

Just to address a few points,  it is an academy yeah, not been excluded before , he's been on report for the behaviour,  I keep asking them the same thing what are THEY doing to manage it and control it?? I speak to him all the time and try and get it through to him, he has actually improves the last couple of weeks , so I do have that going in our favour.

Some interesting points already been raised by y'all, I'll try and replied more later when I finish work, and I'll keep you posted about the meeting outcome Thursday.

He's twice the size of all the other kids and I'm convinced this goes against him massively.

4 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Just to address a few points,  it is an academy yeah, not been excluded before , he's been on report for the behaviour,  I keep asking them the same thing what are THEY doing to manage it and control it?? I speak to him all the time and try and get it through to him, he has actually improves the last couple of weeks , so I do have that going in our favour.

Some interesting points already been raised by y'all, I'll try and replied more later when I finish work, and I'll keep you posted about the meeting outcome Thursday.

He's twice the size of all the other kids and I'm convinced this goes against him massively.

His name isn't Harvey is it? 

• Upvote 1

My school would go for a managed move before a permanent exclusion - excluding is expensive, makes your figures look bad, and most importantly it's an admission of failure. A managed move to a new school can work well with some - fresh start, consequence of poor behaviour, maybe form better friendships.

Keep records is good advice. There should be a plan in place to help the lad manage his behaviour - not just on report. There would have been numerous meetings with you, weekly updates, etc.

I believe you can permanently exclude for consistent low level disruption but it's a long process. From a teaching perspective, constant low level disruption is a pain to deal with but ultimately the student leaves your classroom and works on their own somewhere. Is this happening often?

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I've got a meeting in my lads school on Thursday with the board of governors about his behaviour, apparently it's a showdown meeting and they have 'already made a decision' about his future at the school. To give a bit of background he's 12, an all boys school, and he has a lot of issues with his behaviour, but it's persistent low level things, not concentrating, laughing/joking. distracting others. He's not done anything that I would deem serious i.e assault a teacher, swear at a teacher, attack another kid, but all the same he's not behaving as he should, and I do accept that. I just have this feeling they are going to say he is being excluded and I suppose my question is can they do that ?? to a 12 year old child for what he has done ?? .

The maddest part is if you met him you'd think he's the nicest kid in the world, he's never been naughty for me, doesn't answer back, swear, he literally does nothing, but he goes to school and seems to just not want to be there, and not try, not sure how I should approach the meeting in all honesty, but I don't want to go in unprepared, I'm well capable of speaking to people and have no doubt I'll more than hold my own, but even still, appreciate if if anyone has been arsed enough to read this.

Al - phone or WhatsApp me. 

• Upvote 2