You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Napoli (A) - 3 Oct 2018

aRdja

5 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Take a day off mate. Give us all a break.

What are you on about? I’m saying the biggest problem isn’t the midfield at the moment. Even Klopp said so himself; that it was an impossible job for our midfield tonight. 

Taken from BBC Sport.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp: "We had our moments, but too often the formation was not right or we moved in the wrong spaces. The job of the midfield three was nearly impossible. You have to stay calm in a situation like that, but we were too hectic with the ball.

"We had good moments, but not enough. A 0-0 away from home is OK, but we made a mistake before their goal. That's the second time this season that we have conceded a goal like that.

"It was intense, but we caused the intensity of the game ourselves. It was an interesting looking group before we started and it's still interesting now. We want to play better than we did tonight, but even if we don't play brilliantly, we want a result. Tonight we weren't as good as we could be."

Man of the match - Lorenzo Insigne

To be fair his energy, ability to get up with the attackers and willingness to have a go at goal from midfield are things we could do with right now and he was very effective in how we ambushed City in the league and europe last season....he'd be handy on Sunday IMO.

Just now, an tha said:

To be fair his energy, ability to get up with the attackers and willingness to have a go at goal from midfield are things we could do with right now and he was very effective in how we ambushed City in the league and europe last season....he'd be handy on Sunday IMO.

Shaqiri?

5 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Come on mate he was Stevie G all season. You miss that?

Not quite, but best since I’d say. He outperformed KDB and Silva twice. Two of the best midfielders in the country over the last 10 years or so.

• Downvote 2

I cant believe how flat we were. There was no link up play at all between midfield and attack or even between the attackers, it was like a collection of individuals and not a team. Mane i thought did ok, he at least tried to run at their defence and bring the ball forward but he had no support as was constantly outnumbered. Gomez I thought was absolutely magnificent, not only did he do his own job but he spent most of the second half covering for the lamentable TAA who kept wandering into the middle of the pitch and leaving his man in acres of space just as he did with Hazard on Saturday when he cost us the goal and was nowhere to be seen when Napoli scored at our back post on his side.

Van dijk was brilliant first half but I thought he deteriorated badly in the second and got drawn well out of position for the goal.

The midfield werent at the races all game really, keita was totally inept in the time he was on and after a bright 10 mins after coming on Henderson reverted to type. Gini I thought was decent first half but disappeared second half until Fabinho came on and he was able to push further up. Milner did a lot of chasing but no much else.

All in all a really disappointing night as Napoli are a good team but really nothing special at all and we couldnt even muster a single shot on target.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Not quite, but best since I’d say. He outperformed KDB and Silva twice. Two of the best midfielders in the country over the last 10 years or so.

He didn’t out perform then, he was part of a team that beat them. Played well too. Doesn’t mean he’s better than them. I remember the Swansea midfield out performing him when we lost last season. And your point is? Ox looked decent but let’s not over do it.

Just now, liverpoolsno9 said:

He didn’t out perform then, he was part of a team that beat them. Played well too. Doesn’t mean he’s better than them. I remember the Swansea midfield out performing him when we lost last season. And your point is? Ox looked decent but let’s not over do it.

In the two homes games we played them he was the best midfielder on the pitch. I never said that he is a better player than them, but he’s certainly got it in his locker to be a top player and so far moreso than the rest of the midfield.

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

In the two homes games we played them he was the best midfielder on the pitch. I never said that he is a better player than them, but he’s certainly got it in his locker to be a top player and so far moreso than the rest of the midfield.

He cost 40m and had his good spell when?