You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Laptop

Jairzinho

I need a new laptop. Mine is dying a slow, pathetic death.

I don't want to spend a fortune, I don't need to. I won't be downloading a great deal. The only game I ever play is FM, and always with the old school match view. I really can't think of anything I do on the computer that would require a good spec. 

£300/£400's worth, something like that.

What say you, fine people of the TF?

From what you've described, get yourself a Dell Business Laptop from Ebay with an SSD and 8GB RAM.

You can get a quality one for £150-200. Save yourself half or more of your budget.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=dell+laptop+i5+ssd+8gb&_sacat=0&LH_PrefLoc=1&LH_BIN=1&_sop=2

Make sure you get from a seller with impeccable feedback and at least 4th gen i5.

I bought a Dell Latitude 6230 2 years ago for £140 and it's still going strong that I use for downloading, streaming that I'm typing this post on.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I've just got a Google Pixelbook and couldn't recommend it highly enough (as long as you can find a decent deal because it's ridiculously expensive at retail price).

There are limitations to Chrome OS so it won't be for everyone but if you use a laptop for surfing the web, reading emails, watching YouTube, downloading torrents etc then it's pretty much perfect.

I was sicking of having a Windows laptop that takes forever to turn on, always needs rebooting for updates etc. So far so good with this.

9 hours ago, Hades said:

Mate that's a hard drive issue, not a Windows issue. Anything with an SSD boots fast.

Well this has an SSD so happy days.

Whether it's a hard drive issue or not, the fact is any Windows machine i've ever had just slows down and dies a death. Windows includes so much shite that I never use, it's just pointless.

On 12/2/2018 at 7:43 AM, VladimirIlyich said:

You don't have to update windows all the time,except for windows 10 it now seems. I leave updates for months as they usually fuck things up.

I've never had an issue with a windows 10 update to be fair and I've been running it since it 1st came out. 

As for the speed, no issues on my machine, again an ssd in it with plenty of ram and good cpu.

Personally I couldn't be happier with Windows 10 (I realise it's not a view everyone shares). I ran macos for years, which I found buggy and incompatible with all kinds of software or you get shite versions like with office. Since shifting to Windows 10, most of my technical issues have gone. 

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

I was slightly reluctant to get something with a 14 inch screen, rather than 15.6, but I now wish I had ages ago. Finding it considerably more convenient.  

The screen size on this Pixelbook is only 12.3 inches but it's perfect for me too.

For years I've been saying to my Mrs that smaller is better so now I feel vindicated!