Jump to content
sir roger

Chelsea (h) 26/09/2018 - Carabao Cup

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, suzy said:

I agree with those that think we should try and win this. The final is early in the season and Klopp would get a trophy under his belt to stop all the twats moaning.

Then we’d be full of confidence to press on and win the league

 

This. 

 

Plus we have a 100% winning record, we want that to carry on for as long as possible. No point throwing away a game for the sake of resting players, let's bum their heads in, then do it again a few days later, then bum Napoli and City, and bum everyone else after that. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need games like this to run the bench so that replacements aren't caught completely cold when we really need them. I reckon Chelsea will play a second string too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we were playing a championship or lower division team, some rotation would be fine.

We're not. We are playing one of our main rivals who we face again on the weekend. Play our strongest possible side and bum them, giving us the psychological edge for the second match.

 Playing Mignolet (crap) AND Moreno (megacrap) together with Lovren (out of match practice and liable to get the wobbles in the presence of M & M) is fucking suicidal and could hand them the edge for the weekend.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Aggers Elbow said:

If we were playing a championship or lower division team, some rotation would be fine.

We're not. We are playing one of our main rivals who we face again on the weekend. Play our strongest possible side and bum them, giving us the psychological edge for the second match.

 Playing Mignolet (crap) AND Moreno (megacrap) together with Lovren (out of match practice and liable to get the wobbles in the presence of M & M) is fucking suicidal and could hand them the edge for the weekend.

I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment. On the one hand, I'd love to win the League Cup again, I loved winning it in the 80's and once in the 90's and it is still a day out at Wembley and a major piece of silverware. On the other, the footballing landscape has changed and I accept that it is now the lowest priority.

 

BUT, it's 6 games from start to finish and a chance to get this "Klopp is a serial loser in finals" shite out of the way and it's a real confidence booster.

 

Obviously the League is far important and winning on Saturday night even more so,  but I don't want to see a line up of 11 names emptied out of a hat and expect a cohesive unit. We, like others, have done this many times before and it's painful to watch, especially for those fans who pay top wedge for the ticket.

 

It's a tragedy that this competition has become almost an allergy for most clubs. The years where we won 4 in a row were grand, I loved each one. The win in 95 felt like a breakthrough under Roy Evans and was a great day.

 

On balance, I'd rather not see Mignolet and Moreno start for us wherever possible, but our most important players currently are Alisson, VVD, Wijnaldum, Robertson, Salah and Firmino and I'd hate any of those to get injured for a while in this game.

 

I think a positive compromise can be reached without endangering vital players. A very good team can be put out, good enough to win the tie and I want us to do that.

 

Winning this Cup is easier than winning the FA Cup and the European Cup, so let's not put out a team that has never played together before and go out and beat Chelsea and see where we go from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our starting side will still be pretty strong, and I can't imagine that Chelsea will play a full strength side, either.  I'm content to roll the dice in this one, and then dish Chelsea a proper bumming in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe McDonnell said:

I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment. On the one hand, I'd love to win the League Cup again, I loved winning it in the 80's and once in the 90's and it is still a day out at Wembley and a major piece of silverware. On the other, the footballing landscape has changed and I accept that it is now the lowest priority.

 

BUT, it's 6 games from start to finish and a chance to get this "Klopp is a serial loser in finals" shite out of the way and it's a real confidence booster.

 

Obviously the League is far important and winning on Saturday night even more so,  but I don't want to see a line up of 11 names emptied out of a hat and expect a cohesive unit. We, like others, have done this many times before and it's painful to watch, especially for those fans who pay top wedge for the ticket.

 

It's a tragedy that this competition has become almost an allergy for most clubs. The years where we won 4 in a row were grand, I loved each one. The win in 95 felt like a breakthrough under Roy Evans and was a great day.

 

On balance, I'd rather not see Mignolet and Moreno start for us wherever possible, but our most important players currently are Alisson, VVD, Wijnaldum, Robertson, Salah and Firmino and I'd hate any of those to get injured for a while in this game.

 

I think a positive compromise can be reached without endangering vital players. A very good team can be put out, good enough to win the tie and I want us to do that.

 

Winning this Cup is easier than winning the FA Cup and the European Cup, so let's not put out a team that has never played together before and go out and beat Chelsea and see where we go from there.

You don’t find Milner and Mane important for us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mingolet, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Fabinho, Shaquiri and Sturridge are bankers to play this. Personally I'd be giving Curtis Jones a run with either Henderson or Milner in beside him for experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, No2 said:

Mingolet, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Fabinho, Shaquiri and Sturridge are bankers to play this. Personally I'd be giving Curtis Jones a run with either Henderson or Milner in beside him for experience. 

Curtis Jones?

 

Genuinely never heard of the cunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Joe McDonnell said:

Yes I do. But slightly less so. I don't want any of them injured. Obviously every member of every teams first XI is important.

Mane was brilliant from Christmas, Milner is a dynamo. TAA is also a huge player.

If you told me to name our five most important players, not necessarily the best ( they are ) Allison, VVD, Mane, Salah and Firmino. Keita will be up there very soon.

Shaqiri will also rip it up this year given a chance. Not to mention Fabinho. Good times to be a Red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I detest the recent record these pricks have at Anfield, we need to start beating them at home regularly. So for tomorrow it may be better if we play a hybrid side rather than a complete change from the first 11 and load the bench with enough fire power if we need it later.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not even sure we're capable of fielding a genuinely weak team any more.  Even if we replace our first choice vack five by bringing in Mignolet, Lovren, Matip, Clyne and Moreno, we're not looking at untried Academy kids. Rotating our front three is the biggest problem, but even there we're talking about Shaquiri and Sturridge, who both know a thing or two about scoring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A wise man once said "When it cometh to the Carabao Cup, doeth chelsey on the wednesday with a team that is slightly weaker than usual and then drive a full bumming upon their kinsfolk at the weekend". 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm not even sure we're capable of fielding a genuinely weak team any more.  Even if we replace our first choice vack five by bringing in Mignolet, Lovren, Matip, Clyne and Moreno, we're not looking at untried Academy kids. Rotating our front three is the biggest problem, but even there we're talking about Shaquiri and Sturridge, who both know a thing or two about scoring.

 

FB_IMG_1535748769289.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I’d replace Hendo with Keita there.

 

Yeah I agree, we've not seen the best of Keita yet, so a lower pressure game like this where he can be a bit more creative might give him a bit of a boost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×