You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (h) 26/09/2018 - Carabao Cup

sir roger

4 hours ago, suzy said:

I agree with those that think we should try and win this. The final is early in the season and Klopp would get a trophy under his belt to stop all the twats moaning.

Then we’d be full of confidence to press on and win the league

This. 

Plus we have a 100% winning record, we want that to carry on for as long as possible. No point throwing away a game for the sake of resting players, let's bum their heads in, then do it again a few days later, then bum Napoli and City, and bum everyone else after that. 

If we were playing a championship or lower division team, some rotation would be fine.

We're not. We are playing one of our main rivals who we face again on the weekend. Play our strongest possible side and bum them, giving us the psychological edge for the second match.

Playing Mignolet (crap) AND Moreno (megacrap) together with Lovren (out of match practice and liable to get the wobbles in the presence of M & M) is fucking suicidal and could hand them the edge for the weekend.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Aggers Elbow said:

If we were playing a championship or lower division team, some rotation would be fine.

We're not. We are playing one of our main rivals who we face again on the weekend. Play our strongest possible side and bum them, giving us the psychological edge for the second match.

Playing Mignolet (crap) AND Moreno (megacrap) together with Lovren (out of match practice and liable to get the wobbles in the presence of M & M) is fucking suicidal and could hand them the edge for the weekend.

I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment. On the one hand, I'd love to win the League Cup again, I loved winning it in the 80's and once in the 90's and it is still a day out at Wembley and a major piece of silverware. On the other, the footballing landscape has changed and I accept that it is now the lowest priority.

BUT, it's 6 games from start to finish and a chance to get this "Klopp is a serial loser in finals" shite out of the way and it's a real confidence booster.

Obviously the League is far important and winning on Saturday night even more so,  but I don't want to see a line up of 11 names emptied out of a hat and expect a cohesive unit. We, like others, have done this many times before and it's painful to watch, especially for those fans who pay top wedge for the ticket.

It's a tragedy that this competition has become almost an allergy for most clubs. The years where we won 4 in a row were grand, I loved each one. The win in 95 felt like a breakthrough under Roy Evans and was a great day.

On balance, I'd rather not see Mignolet and Moreno start for us wherever possible, but our most important players currently are Alisson, VVD, Wijnaldum, Robertson, Salah and Firmino and I'd hate any of those to get injured for a while in this game.

I think a positive compromise can be reached without endangering vital players. A very good team can be put out, good enough to win the tie and I want us to do that.

Winning this Cup is easier than winning the FA Cup and the European Cup, so let's not put out a team that has never played together before and go out and beat Chelsea and see where we go from there.

2 hours ago, Joe McDonnell said:

I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment. On the one hand, I'd love to win the League Cup again, I loved winning it in the 80's and once in the 90's and it is still a day out at Wembley and a major piece of silverware. On the other, the footballing landscape has changed and I accept that it is now the lowest priority.

BUT, it's 6 games from start to finish and a chance to get this "Klopp is a serial loser in finals" shite out of the way and it's a real confidence booster.

Obviously the League is far important and winning on Saturday night even more so,  but I don't want to see a line up of 11 names emptied out of a hat and expect a cohesive unit. We, like others, have done this many times before and it's painful to watch, especially for those fans who pay top wedge for the ticket.

It's a tragedy that this competition has become almost an allergy for most clubs. The years where we won 4 in a row were grand, I loved each one. The win in 95 felt like a breakthrough under Roy Evans and was a great day.

On balance, I'd rather not see Mignolet and Moreno start for us wherever possible, but our most important players currently are Alisson, VVD, Wijnaldum, Robertson, Salah and Firmino and I'd hate any of those to get injured for a while in this game.

I think a positive compromise can be reached without endangering vital players. A very good team can be put out, good enough to win the tie and I want us to do that.

Winning this Cup is easier than winning the FA Cup and the European Cup, so let's not put out a team that has never played together before and go out and beat Chelsea and see where we go from there.

You don’t find Milner and Mane important for us?

27 minutes ago, Joe McDonnell said:

Yes I do. But slightly less so. I don't want any of them injured. Obviously every member of every teams first XI is important.

Mane was brilliant from Christmas, Milner is a dynamo. TAA is also a huge player.

If you told me to name our five most important players, not necessarily the best ( they are ) Allison, VVD, Mane, Salah and Firmino. Keita will be up there very soon.

Shaqiri will also rip it up this year given a chance. Not to mention Fabinho. Good times to be a Red.

I detest the recent record these pricks have at Anfield, we need to start beating them at home regularly. So for tomorrow it may be better if we play a hybrid side rather than a complete change from the first 11 and load the bench with enough fire power if we need it later.

• Upvote 1

I'm not even sure we're capable of fielding a genuinely weak team any more.  Even if we replace our first choice vack five by bringing in Mignolet, Lovren, Matip, Clyne and Moreno, we're not looking at untried Academy kids. Rotating our front three is the biggest problem, but even there we're talking about Shaquiri and Sturridge, who both know a thing or two about scoring.

7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm not even sure we're capable of fielding a genuinely weak team any more.  Even if we replace our first choice vack five by bringing in Mignolet, Lovren, Matip, Clyne and Moreno, we're not looking at untried Academy kids. Rotating our front three is the biggest problem, but even there we're talking about Shaquiri and Sturridge, who both know a thing or two about scoring.

FB_IMG_1535748769289.jpg