You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (h) 26/09/2018 - Carabao Cup

sir roger

Apologies if I'm stepping on any toes here , but can't see a thread yet with less than 2 days to go to the game. May be putting my neck into the noose as it is potentially a tough game depending on the two sides chosen.

Trying to second-guess Jurgen's line-ups in the League Cup is as tough as nailing jelly to a wall but my best guess

Mignolet

Clyne, Gomez, Matip, Moreno

Fabinho, Milner, Keita

Solanke or Origi, Sturridge, Shaqiri 

Difficult one really as while the League is the Holy Grail , we need a trophy , any trophy & realistically the Carabao & FA Cups are probably the most likely route.

• Upvote 1

I hate all this rotation shite - but it is part of the modern game now.

Think he'll go:

Mignolet

Clyne

Phillips

Matip

Moreno

Fabinho

Keita

Henderson

Mane

Sturridge

Shaqiri

Would like us to have a right go at this this season...we need silverware and challenging for this and challenging for the title/european cup don't have to be mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 1

I will name my side in a obscure nickname format.

Simpleton

Calvin    Billy    Razor   Bassett

Disco   Buffet    Tony

Kazaam   Elton   Hector

We can always bring on the likes of Ross, Bulman or B.A if needed.

Would completely rest Thunderbird, Syzskak and Vannilli.

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

We won this regularly when we were winning the league and european cup and we did it without fucking about with weakened teams - and we did it negotiating replays along the way.

Times have changed, mate. There’s no way of making it through a full season with the same 13/14 players playing every single game. We have to rotate for this

19 minutes ago, moof said:

Times have changed, mate. There’s no way of making it through a full season with the same 13/14 players playing every single game. We have to rotate for this

I don't agree - well i sort of agree but i think we over do the rotation.

Players now are fitter than ever - they play on pristine pitches, they have better diets than ever, better medical care etc...they are much better athletes - if players could do it in 1984 spending half the week on the ale, and with only one sub then these lads can do it now.

Our 1984 league cup winning run saw us play 13 matches to win the competiton including a final that went to extra time and a replay!

What will it take to win in this year? 6?

Go strong and get it won IMHO.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, an tha said:

I don't agree - well i sort of agree but i think we over do the rotation.

Players now are fitter than ever - they play on pristine pitches, they have better diets than ever, better medical care etc...they are much better athletes - if players could do it in 1984 spending half the week on the ale, and with only one sub then these lads can do it now.

Our 1984 league cup winning run saw us play 13 matches to win the competiton including a final that went to extra time and a replay!

What will it take to win in this year? 6?

Go strong and get it won IMHO.

I suppose that’s the thing isn’t it? Football is much more demanding physically nowadays, you probably wouldn’t make it these days if you were “spending half the week on the ale”.

42 game seasons, FA Cup replays, remember Arsenal? Crap pitches and average to poor training facilities. A few less European games if you went all the way.

With our current squad we should be able to rest certain players and still be as competitive. It’s all relative. Would the flair players of today who are so protected be playing the same or as often with the tackling of yesteryear.

36 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I suppose that’s the thing isn’t it? Football is much more demanding physically nowadays, you probably wouldn’t make it these days if you were “spending half the week on the ale”.

And for me those playing the game are so much better equipped to be able to handle the much "more physically demanding" game.

As said - they are fitter, have better diets, aren't on the ale (Bobby aside the mad pissed up get!) play on pristine pitches, have better training regimes, better medical support, and so on and so on.

I suppose we won't agree on this but for example for my money if Sammy Lee and Ian Rush (as they did) could play nearly 70 games in 1983/4 then Naby Keita and Mo Salah can play 50-60 this season.

Even as recently as 2001 when we won the treble Stevie, Carra, Babbel, Sammi, Heskey were clocking up 60 games.

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

And for me those playing the game are so much better equipped to be able to handle the much "more physically demanding" game.

As said - they are fitter, have better diets, aren't on the ale (Bobby aside the mad pissed up get!) play on pristine pitches, have better training regimes, better medical support, and so on and so on.

I suppose we won't agree on this but for example for my money if Sammy Lee and Ian Rush (as they did) could play nearly 70 games in 1983/4 then Naby Keita and Mo Salah can play 50 this season.

They are fitter because they ought to be, because the competition is fitter. You could probably try and play Bobby and Salah every game, but come near the end of the season, City would be much better equipped to finish the season strongly because their players would be much fresher having been rested adequately. 

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

They are fitter because they ought to be, because the competition is fitter. You could probably try and play Bobby and Salah every game, but come near the end of the season, City would be much better equipped because their players would be much fresher having been rested adequately. 

Maybe I am old fashioned - but for me it is best team (or nigh on it) every game - unless it is a dead rubber in CL for example.

Asking these incredibly highly paid athletes to play 60 football matches in 9 months shouldn't be a problem - but as I say maybe I am old fashioned and times have changed - all I know is I am sick of seeing us get dicked out of domestic cups because our rotated teams have under performed!

It is an interesting discussion though - and yeah it is clear the modern way is to rotate a lot and I fully expect us to do so tomorrow to the tune of 7/8 players.

• Upvote 1

I just don’t believe their salary level is of any relevance in this instance. I am with you, I think PL footballers are overpaid, but  if we were to rest players, it wouldn’t be for altruistic reasons... it’d be because the management rightly or wrongly think that it’d pay off and we’d benefit from it come the end of the season. You obviously think we wouldn’t... and I think that’s where the disagreement lies. Bringing “salary level” into it muddles the discussion a bit in my view.

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I just don’t believe their salary level is of any relevance in this instance. I am with you, I think PL footballers are overpaid, but  if we were to rest players, it wouldn’t be forbidden altruistic reasons... it’d be because the management rightly or wrong think, it’d pay off and we’d benefit from it come the end of the season. You obviously think we wouldn’t... and I think that’s where the disagreement lies. Bringing “salary level” into it muddles the discussion a bit in my view.

Salary isn't really relevant you are right.............. I just threw it in offhand and on reflection it didn't really help my point.

Maybe the advances in data/sports science etc suggest that players can't play 60/70 games and be at their best, maybe things have changed and my thinking on this matter is outdated.

For me though a competition that finishes in Feb, where there are no replays and even now no extra time and where we are talking about the overwhelming amount of games coming before Christmas is one where i'd like to see us go flat out to win and one where for me doing so should not hurt us on other fronts.

• Upvote 1