You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A few thoughts from the Southampton game - by Paul Natton

tlw content

59 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Any sauce only carries as much weight as you are willing to give it. There may be a fair few folk who dont look at Twitter at all. 

and they aren't really missing much.

However, Paul mentioned earlier about newspapers reporting twitter comments as news stories. Its everywhere. Clickbait websites are taking random tweets from whoppers and creating 'news' items from them. They now go trawling for tweets ripping a player and turn it into bollocks like "Liverpool fans were not happy with the performance of this 28 year old star" to get people clicking on newsnow or twitter or wherever.

It's a bigger thing than those who stay off twitter realise. It's not an LFC thing either, its the same for all of the big clubs. 

• Upvote 1

Worth mentioning that my Dad loves Hendo, and generally he's tough to please as he usually thinks everyone is shit.

He loves Milner and Andy Robbo too, as well as Mo, obviously. Van Dijk is a big favourite of his now too, and Firmino finally won him over midway through last season. The rest he can generally take or leave, except Gini who he still doesn't like, (although I can feel him mellowing a little) and Matip who he isn't a big fan of and I genuinely don't think he even knows his name.

Edit: I forgot to mention his favourite, Shaqiri. He fucking loves that little guy.

On this basis, I’d suggest @Paul needs to keep his weekly Hendo bit, but to hence forth make clear the distinction between twitter bellends and other internet frequenting fans.

Final word from me, accepting that all you are both saying may be fair but having zero interest in ever reading the comment sections of anything put out by the club website, is just to say the frustration doesn’t totally relate to his lack of channelling an inner Stevie, but more his willingness in the final minutes of a goalless let down at home to someone we should be smashing to instead give it to lovren to let him have a go at doing it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

On this basis, I’d suggest @Paul needs to keep his weekly Hendo bit, but to hence forth make clear the distinction between twitter bellends and other internet frequenting fans.

Final word from me, accepting that all you are both saying may be fair but having zero interest in ever reading the comment sections of anything put out by the club website, is just to say the frustration doesn’t totally relate to his lack of channelling an inner Stevie, but more his willingness in the final minutes of a goalless let down at home to someone we should be smashing to instead give it to lovren to let him have a go at doing it.

At the same time though I think we'd all agree that his long range shooting isn't his greatest asset. So, if he's aware of that too (which presumably he is), he's probably right not to be lashing desperation shots from 30 yards late in the game as the chances are it won't help.

Lovren could probably do with having the same level of self awareness!

Hendo is the holding midfield player. It's really not his job to be pulling us out of the fire in close games. It won't be Fabinho's when he plays, and it's not Gini's when he plays as the six either. Anything we get from that position in terms of goals is a bonus really.

I think this is part of the reason he's judged so harshly by some. When he does his job and the forwards click he looks great and people acknowledge the good job he does. When he does the same job and the forwards aren't at it and the team struggles, the finger often gets pointed at him even though he's basically doing the same thing he always does.

He can't take a game by the scruff of the neck and drive us on to victory. Very few players can, but we've had players who are capable of it (Souness, McMahon, Gerrard) so we've been spoiled in that regard.

None of our current midfielders can do it, which is why we need Keita to be the player we all hope he is.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

At the same time though I think we'd all agree that his long range shooting isn't his greatest asset. So, if he's aware of that too (which presumably he is), he's probably right not to be lashing desperation shots from 30 yards late in the game as the chances are it won't help.

Hendo is the holding midfield player. It's really not his job to be pulling us out of the fire in close games. It won't be Fabinho's when he plays, and it's not Gini's when he plays as the six either. Anything we get from that position in terms of goals is a bonus really.

I think this is part of the reason he's judged so harshly by some. When he does his job and the forwards click he looks great and people acknowledge the good job he does. When he does the same job and the forwards aren't at it and the team struggles, the finger often gets pointed at him even though he's basically doing the same thing he always does.

He can't take a game by the scruff of the neck and drive us on to victory. Very few players can, but we've had players who are capable of it (Souness, McMahon, Gerrard) so we've been spoiled in that regard.

None of our current midfielders can do it, which is why we need Keita to be the player we all hope he is.

That’s all fair, and I’m not going to argue, but what I’m visualising in my minds eye is the chance to pit a ball into the box - which he is good at, and does often do well - in the latter stages of a frustrating game, being shifted onto a Lovren or Matip type to have a go instead.

The (probably harsh) word that sticks in my head around his playing style is “timid”  - and mostly at those crucial moment s where we need bravery - and that’s not what I want from a captain of our club.

There have been times I would agree with the 'timid' shout. Nowhere near as often these days but yeah, every now and again.

He's not perfect and some of the criticism directed at him is valid. Most of it is completely disproportionate with reality though, that's what gets people's backs ups.

Can't wait until the weekend when he repeats his Stamford Bridge goal from a couple of years back, and Paul posts a picture of his bare arse with the caption 'kiss this all you Hendo haters' as point number three in his 'thoughts from the game'.

20 minutes ago, dave u said:

There have been times I would agree with the 'timid' shout. Nowhere near as often these days but yeah, every now and again.

He's not perfect and some of the criticism directed at him is valid. Most of it is completely disproportionate with reality though, that's what gets people's backs ups.

Can't wait until the weekend when he repeats his Stamford Bridge goal from a couple of years back, and Paul posts a picture of his bare arse with the caption 'kiss this all you Hendo haters' as point number three in his 'thoughts from the game'.

There’s your answer “ a couple of years back “ he is not really expected to get goals is he. One since that, two? Hopefully he scores a nice winner at the weekend but it should hardly be used as a stick to beat his detractors into submission. He is footballer Marmite. 

54 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If you want to take on Stringvest over his views on Henderson, take him on directly instead of conflating him with 'internet fans.' I think both Paul and Dave are scared of Stringy. You big cowards...

He didn't like Dirk either. The man has no soul.

3 hours ago, dave u said:

I’d still prefer him to keep it to the last point. Pretty sure I made that clear.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:20 AM, dave u said:

Great post Gaffer.

13 hours ago, an tha said:

A perfect example of what Dave and Paul were talking about here:

https://talksport.com/football/427876/liverpool-klopp-henderson-sell-fraud-chelsea/amp/

Stopped reading after the headline. He was such a 'fraud' that his manager played him for 80 out of 90 minutes! Jeez,this 'journalism' stuff is easy,isn't it?

It's crept in over the last year or so and its getting worse all the time, which tells me that they think its working because people must be clicking on them. It started with sites running articles based on stuff a player might tweet. That was bad enough, but now they're doing it based on stupid shit that a minority of fans might be tweeting when they're pissed off during a game.

Talksport wasn't the only site doing that about Hendo this weekend either. I saw a couple of others when browsing through newsnow.

• Upvote 1