Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chip Butty

Kirkby Training Complex

Recommended Posts

On 07/11/2020 at 19:07, paddyberger said:

So did I actually, we lived next door to Reuben Bennet and his wife. I used to run errands for her as a kid, a lovely lady.

Was he as scary in real life as he always seems in pictures?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Was he as scary in real life as he always seems in pictures?

The sad thing is he died not long after we moved in, within a few months so I didn’t really get to know him. She obviously mentioned what he did afterwards as she knew we were Liverpool supporters. I didn’t know his relationship with the club until afterwards when I read Last of The Boot Room Boys.
 

I knew his wife really well though and she stayed there until she passed away too. She was always very kind to us as kids and was a wonderful lady.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what will happen to Melwood now?

Houses., community playing fields etc.

 

Be nice to give to community and not to sell for developments 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Truered said:

So what will happen to Melwood now?

Houses., community playing fields etc.

 

Be nice to give to community and not to sell for developments 

Houses. Was always going to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Truered said:

So what will happen to Melwood now?

Houses., community playing fields etc.

 

Be nice to give to community and not to sell for developments 

Bought by a social housing association 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/10/2020 at 12:14, Doctor Troy said:

It doesn't say anywhere how much the sponsorship will be. The Mancs signed an 8 year deal in 2013 with Aon for £180m. Basically £22.5m a year.

It’s mad how companies just give these cunts endless pits of money.  I know 2013 was before they went into complete freefall but you just know they sign a new deal worth more when this one runs out despite nobody watching them anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I want to be but to be realistic about the mancs, they had been winning titles regularly so could command big money sponsorship deals. I never forget what one of my mates said to me about 10 years ago.

 

He said we had all our success at a time when there was no real sponsorship money in football while the mancs struck gold with their success being on the back of increasing money. At the same time,I always got the impression the media over exaggerated how much united got for some of their deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Not that I want to be but to be realistic about the mancs, they had been winning titles regularly so could command big money sponsorship deals. I never forget what one of my mates said to me about 10 years ago.

 

He said we had all our success at a time when there was no real sponsorship money in football while the mancs struck gold with their success being on the back of increasing money. At the same time,I always got the impression the media over exaggerated how much united got for some of their deals.

No question about that timing.....and here we are finally back on our perch at a time when the world is on it's fucking knees.

 

Fucking our timing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Guest said:

It’s mad how companies just give these cunts endless pits of money.  I know 2013 was before they went into complete freefall but you just know they sign a new deal worth more when this one runs out despite nobody watching them anymore.

Yeah, that Ed Woodward might overpay for shite players but he knows how to get the sponsorship deals.

 

Think that they had about 65 sponsorship deals/partners last season when we've got about 30. You wonder what they get out of it as most of the deals were signed in the last 2 or 3 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Not that I want to be but to be realistic about the mancs, they had been winning titles regularly so could command big money sponsorship deals. I never forget what one of my mates said to me about 10 years ago.

 

He said we had all our success at a time when there was no real sponsorship money in football while the mancs struck gold with their success being on the back of increasing money. At the same time,I always got the impression the media over exaggerated how much united got for some of their deals.

Man Utd's success started with the advent of the Premier League. I read a book called Game Changer and it goes into detail about the money/sponsorships/investment that swamped the league once the brand image changed. All of a sudden big name players wanted to come to these shores (Klinsmann for example) plus Man Utd marketing themselves to the world. All of a sudden they are selling anything and everything with a Man Utd logo on it from clothes to razors. The timing for them was perfect and I do suspect thats how the Premier League wanted it (Man Utd to be the flagship club). Then you've got shit like brand Beckham and people across the globe watching games solely to see him. It was mental. It took other clubs ages to catch-up. Blackburn had a great season but  that was never going to last, they spend millions to win that title. Arsenal yeah had some great squads and Wenger deserves a lot of credit but it wasn't until Chelsea then City who both bought their success with bottomless buckets of cash that United were ever truly knocked off their perch.

 

51CzumY+dHL.jpg

 

It worked because now the PL is by far the biggest league in the world but United continued success was largely down to timing. Its actually staggering how much we missed the boat considering Rick Parry was so heavily involved with the planning and implementation of the Premier League. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Man Utd's success started with the advent of the Premier League. I read a book called Game Changer and it goes into detail about the money/sponsorships/investment that swamped the league once the brand image changed. All of a sudden big name players wanted to come to these shores (Klinsmann for example) plus Man Utd marketing themselves to the world. All of a sudden they are selling anything and everything with a Man Utd logo on it from clothes to razors. The timing for them was perfect and I do suspect thats how the Premier League wanted it (Man Utd to be the flagship club). Then you've got shit like brand Beckham and people across the globe watching games solely to see him. It was mental. It took other clubs ages to catch-up. Blackburn had a great season but  that was never going to last, they spend millions to win that title. Arsenal yeah had some great squads and Wenger deserves a lot of credit but it wasn't until Chelsea then City who both bought their success with bottomless buckets of cash that United were ever truly knocked off their perch.

 

51CzumY+dHL.jpg

 

It worked because now the PL is by far the biggest league in the world but United continued success was largely down to timing. Its actually staggering how much we missed the boat considering Rick Parry was so heavily involved with the planning and implementation of the Premier League. 

I wouldnt disagree but it misses the fact we were the first English team to wear a shirt sponsor with Hitachi but then we sat on our arses and did fuck all regarding the brave new world we were ushering into top flight English football.

 

It was absolutely baffling because we regularly refused to wear a non sponsored shirt when BBC or ITV wanted to show highlights of our games. If I remember right, we did change at home but away games we took a different line.

 

I dont know what was the reasoning behind not embracing sponsorship once you've taken a huge step. I think Celtic we the first UK club to wear a sponsored shirt and  clubs like Derby County were renaming stands with names like the Saab Stand. But we just stopped.

 

Im not saying we'd have got huge sponsorship deals but it makes you wonder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm just a fussy cunt about this but it is winding me up. Apparently, they would be going with a Champions Wall in Kirkby which would separately have "18" league titles and "1" Premier League title. 

 

I understand if they would like to separate it for display purposes (as seen in the picture). Even at that, just build a bigger podium to sit both trophies on. And label it 19, simple.

 

On a wall, they really should have "19 league titles" the way they had it at Melwood. Doing this now just seems we are giving in to what rival fans were saying. "Oooh, Liverpool have won only one PL trophy. You are same level as Blackburn". Fuck off. 

Screenshot_20201112-122316_Facebook.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Maybe I'm just a fussy cunt about this but it is winding me up. Apparently, they would be going with a Champions Wall in Kirkby which would separately have "18" league titles and "1" Premier League title. 

 

I understand if they would like to separate it for display purposes (as seen in the picture). Even at that, just build a bigger podium to sit both trophies on. And label it 19, simple.

 

On a wall, they really should have "19 league titles" the way they had it at Melwood. Doing this now just seems we are giving in to what rival fans were saying. "Oooh, Liverpool have won only one PL trophy. You are same level as Blackburn". Fuck off. 

Screenshot_20201112-122316_Facebook.jpg

Some fellas already trying to nick the Premier trophy look. Fucking Kirkby. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Maybe I'm just a fussy cunt about this but it is winding me up. Apparently, they would be going with a Champions Wall in Kirkby which would separately have "18" league titles and "1" Premier League title. 

 

I understand if they would like to separate it for display purposes (as seen in the picture). Even at that, just build a bigger podium to sit both trophies on. And label it 19, simple.

 

On a wall, they really should have "19 league titles" the way they had it at Melwood. Doing this now just seems we are giving in to what rival fans were saying. "Oooh, Liverpool have won only one PL trophy. You are same level as Blackburn". Fuck off. 

Screenshot_20201112-122316_Facebook.jpg

Absolutely...can't believe they have done that 

 

As you say a double sized plinth with both trophies on and the number 19.

 

Stupid gets.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Some fellas already trying to nick the Premier trophy look. Fucking Kirkby. 

Fuck off!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

True though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Maybe I'm just a fussy cunt about this but it is winding me up. Apparently, they would be going with a Champions Wall in Kirkby which would separately have "18" league titles and "1" Premier League title. 

 

I understand if they would like to separate it for display purposes (as seen in the picture). Even at that, just build a bigger podium to sit both trophies on. And label it 19, simple.

 

On a wall, they really should have "19 league titles" the way they had it at Melwood. Doing this now just seems we are giving in to what rival fans were saying. "Oooh, Liverpool have won only one PL trophy. You are same level as Blackburn". Fuck off. 

Screenshot_20201112-122316_Facebook.jpg

Nob heads! league champions is league champions regardless of the change in marketing its 19 not 1. Lets split the European cup from when it became the champions league or the various sponsors of the FA Cup and League Cup. The plinth should say champions and put both on it. Christ just hollow out the one the prem trophy is on and place the old trophy underneath.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Maybe I'm just a fussy cunt about this but it is winding me up. Apparently, they would be going with a Champions Wall in Kirkby which would separately have "18" league titles and "1" Premier League title. 

 

I understand if they would like to separate it for display purposes (as seen in the picture). Even at that, just build a bigger podium to sit both trophies on. And label it 19, simple.

 

On a wall, they really should have "19 league titles" the way they had it at Melwood. Doing this now just seems we are giving in to what rival fans were saying. "Oooh, Liverpool have won only one PL trophy. You are same level as Blackburn". Fuck off. 

Screenshot_20201112-122316_Facebook.jpg

Yeah it almost puts the league trophies on a par with Newcastle winning the Championship. Fuck that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Maybe I'm just a fussy cunt about this but it is winding me up. Apparently, they would be going with a Champions Wall in Kirkby which would separately have "18" league titles and "1" Premier League title. 

 

I understand if they would like to separate it for display purposes (as seen in the picture). Even at that, just build a bigger podium to sit both trophies on. And label it 19, simple.

 

On a wall, they really should have "19 league titles" the way they had it at Melwood. Doing this now just seems we are giving in to what rival fans were saying. "Oooh, Liverpool have won only one PL trophy. You are same level as Blackburn". Fuck off. 

Screenshot_20201112-122316_Facebook.jpg

Well, it's a different trophy, so what else would they do? Like, even though they rebranded the European Cup to the Champions League, the trophy remained the same, so we can say we won it 6 times, not 2 and 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Well, it's a different trophy, so what else would they do? Like, even though they rebranded the European Cup to the Champions League, the trophy remained the same, so we can say we won it 6 times, not 2 and 4.

They could have a plinth to hold two trophies, side by side, just like the Melwood wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

Maybe I'm just a fussy cunt about this but it is winding me up. Apparently, they would be going with a Champions Wall in Kirkby which would separately have "18" league titles and "1" Premier League title. 

 

I understand if they would like to separate it for display purposes (as seen in the picture). Even at that, just build a bigger podium to sit both trophies on. And label it 19, simple.

 

On a wall, they really should have "19 league titles" the way they had it at Melwood. Doing this now just seems we are giving in to what rival fans were saying. "Oooh, Liverpool have won only one PL trophy. You are same level as Blackburn". Fuck off. 

Screenshot_20201112-122316_Facebook.jpg

Couldnt agree more. 19 n n n n 19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

Maybe I'm just a fussy cunt about this but it is winding me up. Apparently, they would be going with a Champions Wall in Kirkby which would separately have "18" league titles and "1" Premier League title. 

 

I understand if they would like to separate it for display purposes (as seen in the picture). Even at that, just build a bigger podium to sit both trophies on. And label it 19, simple.

 

On a wall, they really should have "19 league titles" the way they had it at Melwood. Doing this now just seems we are giving in to what rival fans were saying. "Oooh, Liverpool have won only one PL trophy. You are same level as Blackburn". Fuck off. 

Screenshot_20201112-122316_Facebook.jpg

You would have to ask just who came up with this idea? Certainly no one with any idea of the importance of league leadership in the history of this club. Champions of England, Champions of Europe, FA Cup Winners, League Cup Winners; the current nomination or sponsorship of those titles doesn't register with supporters whose knowledge of our history overlooks the crude imposition of a fucking brand stamp.

 

Get it fixed, you cretinous, corporate culture corruptors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×