You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kirkby Training Complex

Chip Butty

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

"The Dunkin Donuts Development Academy" 

Nah I'm gutted. I live near Melwood. I like breathing the same air as Klopp and Mane and Thiago and I'm going for a wank 

End of an era, will be all houses soon. Pity but the new site is absolutely massive.

They just need to get rid of the fella who owns a house on that road opposite the academy with his UKIP flag and brexit shite everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

"The Dunkin Donuts Development Academy" 

Nah I'm gutted. I live near Melwood. I like breathing the same air as Klopp and Mane and Thiago and I'm going for a wank 

My nan used to live on Blackmoor Drive and would take me when I was little to look through the gaps in the walls to see them training. One of my earliest memories is having Bob Paisley wave at me through the team coach window because I was wearing a red jumper. Gutted it's moving because of the history, but if this new complex gives us even a 5% advantage over everyone else, it'll be worth it.

• Upvote 3

Went to Melwood one half term in 1984. Was on an Alan a' Court soccer school which was based at st Mary's playing fields in Crosby.

My dad managed to pull a few strings with my uncle who was on the coaching staff and got us all in. Got my photo taken with Bob Paisley who was wandering around in a suit, always remember him being very abrupt with most of the kids but still happy to have his photo taken with loads of us and sign autographs. 

Managed to take a penalty when Jan Molby was out practicing them. The keeper was a reserve keeper and saved mine pretty easily. Jan Molby just smiled at me as he had scored about 15 on the run. 

On the last day of the soccer school Bobby Moore was supposed to come up from London to present us with our awards but basically phoned up last minute saying he had been offered the managers job at Southend so cancelled. We were all gutted. 

• Upvote 7

The new set up at Kirby will be a legacy to Klopp he could have easily  pestered for the 50 million to improve the squad  short term but no as is his nature he decided to improve the future long term training and development of the whole club .

There is not a chance that Guardiola would have done anything like this he would have blown it on another shite full back or Centre half , we really did strike gold when we brought him in .

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

The new set up at Kirby will be a legacy to Klopp he could have easily  pestered for the 50 million to improve the squad  short term but no as is his nature he decided to improve the future long term training and development of the whole club .

There is not a chance that Guardiola would have done anything like this he would have blown it on another shite full back or Centre half , we really did strike gold when we brought him in .

There's a YouTube video about the input for the new training facility from all of Klopp, Henderson and Milner. Very interesting and certainly leans toward  your suggestion of a legacy. 

Can remember in the 70's you could just walk in during training. Used to be a big wooden shed type building.

There was a ball hanging from the ceiling for heading practise.

The wooden walls with numbers for shooting practice.

Just stood there listening to the piss taking amongst the players.

You could always get the autographs.

Great days.

• Upvote 1

On 27/10/2020 at 12:14, Doctor Troy said:

It doesn't say anywhere how much the sponsorship will be. The Mancs signed an 8 year deal in 2013 with Aon for £180m. Basically £22.5m a year.

These sorts of contracts come with all sorts of performance related clauses. I'd bet they're getting nowhere near that amount now. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2020 at 15:54, Rushies tash said:

My nan used to live on Blackmoor Drive and would take me when I was little to look through the gaps in the walls to see them training. One of my earliest memories is having Bob Paisley wave at me through the team coach window because I was wearing a red jumper. Gutted it's moving because of the history, but if this new complex gives us even a 5% advantage over everyone else, it'll be worth it.

So did I actually, we lived next door to Reuben Bennet and his wife. I used to run errands for her as a kid, a lovely lady.

• Upvote 3