You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (H) Premier League 22/9 Match Thread

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, niallers said:

Usually he's offside,and if a defender slides out he's still considered active. However,in this instance, saints also had a player off the pitch with mo. So in my humble and unlearned opinion, the goal should have stood. Cunt officiating

Yeah, i have no idea if their player being out had any influence on it being offside or not, that is if he is active then Mo wouldn’t be offside. If he isn’t active, surely Mo shouldn’t be active either and still not offside, so I alsi think that was a bad call, though I have no idea if my assessment is correct or not!

First time ever in the clubs history that we've won our first 7 games on the bounce.

That's fucking impressive, especially considering we have barely got out of third gear. 

Heard a stat before. 

Apparently Southampton have only managed to win 4 games since Van Dijk left. Shows how important he was to them, and for us, hopefully he isn't injured. 

Just now, aventus said:

First time ever in the clubs history that we've won our first 7 games on the bounce.

That's fucking impressive, especially considering we have barely got out of third gear. 

Heard a stat before. 

Apparently Southampton have only managed to win 4 games since Van Dijk left. Shows how important he was to them, and for us, hopefully he isn't injured. 

Yeah, I heard that from the commentators. Outrageous. Four wins since December 1st. 

Nice result....puts the "struggles after europe" narrative noise down a bit....of course keeps a 100% record going and the momentum that brings.

Looks like we are gonna need to be nigh on perfect to win this frigging thing though as the laying down and dying for City seems to show no signs of stopping....could do with West Ham giving Chelsea a bloody nose tomorrow - must be unheard of for a team to win all it's first 6 and not be top - but that could  be case tomorrow incredibly.

Massive games now next week against Chelsea and then City

6 out of 6 though going into them though is as much as could ask for, we'll know a lot more about where we are after those two games - but we should go into them with no fear.

• Upvote 1

It feels likes a really odd season. 

We're beating teams by 1 goal, we're quite passive when it comes to finishing our chances (could have easily been 6/7-nil today), we haven't really got going and Fabinho hasn't even had a game yet and we've twatted PSG and won 7 games on the bounce. 

Only 31ish games to win before we come home with the league title followed closely by another CL. 

Great win and not at our best again, Southampton knocked the ball around really  well first half but had no cutting edge, our class showed but 3-0 at half time flattered us slightly, we kept it tight throughout and Van Dijk  and Gomez when he came on were simply immense, we have top quality throughout the side and it could have been a cricket score at the end, good times.

42 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Had £95 million worth of midfielder on the bench along with the titan that is James Milner. This squad is very close to being the best we've had in a long time.

Any news on VVD or why  Xherdan went off?

Klopp said the HT switch was tactical as he didn't like the shape

VVD has bruised ribs as was unable to shout apparently . He got another knock on top of some previous injury.  He played it down so hopefully he will be fit for next weekend

• Upvote 1

Knew we'd bum them when I had to work through it.  Swear we'd go 38-0-0 in the league if I had to work through every game.

Astonishing start to the season really.   We've some leeway now to possibly drop point in the tougher games coming up.  Salah back amongst the goals is always lovely to see and at least one of the top six dropping points to a shite team is always a good week.

VVD is a worry, hopefully it is minor and he's back for next week.  I just can't see the defence being anywhere near as stable without him.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/317796-van-dijk-liverpool-injury-update

Usually only time and rest sorts these injuries...as evidenced by him playing carrying it today a slight knock makes it worse....I'd say he might be best being out for 2 weeks to let it heal properly rather than try and manage and make it worse.

Sadly next two league games we really need him - maybe limp to international break and then rest during that shite.

27 minutes ago, an tha said:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/317796-van-dijk-liverpool-injury-update

Usually only time and rest sorts these injuries...as evidenced by him playing carrying it today a slight knock makes it worse....I'd say he might be best being out for 2 weeks to let it heal properly rather than try and manage and make it worse.

Sadly next two league games we really need him - maybe limp to international break and then rest during that shite.

I cant see anyway he will play the league cup tie but he'll play next Saturday unless he is in a wheelchair

Thought our passing was a tad off today, as at times, our movement, though we dealt with a very lively going forward Southampton, who to be fair, got in between us at times, especially in the first half.

My biggest groan and this pre-dates just this game - just twat the fucking ball lads! - far too much over passing and over thinking a piece piece of play, sometimes you just twat it at the goal or across the box.

Not the most technical dissection of our play I grant you, but fucking hell reds, just have a fuckin go from distance every once in a while.

Matip can't pass his own piss. 

In dreamland at the momemt.

Its an absolute luxury that my only concerns are Klopp taking off a new signing at half time after playing very well, and another very expensive signing continues to sit it out in Fabinho......

Feel a bit bad on Fabinho as he will get the "consolation" of starting in the league cup.  

Guess Klopp knows best-cant argue with the results and long, long may it continue.

Having this kind of depth to the squad is very surreal and I worry about those not playing to a slightly obsessed extent