You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (H) Premier League 22/9 Match Thread

Bjornebye

Nice win, never really got rolling as we threatened to do but it was never nervy either. It is crazy that we've won our first 6 games and could still be second after tomorrow. City are obviously right there as well having only had a draw. Neither have them have really been tested in the league but you could argue we've really only played Spurs as well.

Oh well though, this is where we want to be.

11 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Nice win, never really got rolling as we threatened to do but it was never nervy either. It is crazy that we've won our first 6 games and could still be second after tomorrow. City are obviously right there as well having only had a draw. Neither have them have really been tested in the league but you could argue we've really only played Spurs as well.

Oh well though, this is where we want to be.

Played & dominated PSG in Europe as well though - while City have already looked their age several times this season .. which is approaching about as many as in the whole of last season. As Lyon showed, a good attack can eminently get after them leading from the front & the midfield without De Bruyne lacks a lot of diynamism. They'll destroy the dross like Cardiff but hopefully there's a few sides that can give them an awkard game in isolated fixtures this year.

Chelsea are more of an unknown quantity .. but that defence is going to get shown up against decent sides.

19 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Just from watching motd, I’m not sure where the controversy comes in for salah’s goal. As far as I could tell, he was never onside again after he left the pitch, was he?

Did the ball come to him off a Saints player? If so he looked onside when it was played.  But it all happened so fast I can see why it was ruled out.  

11 minutes ago, aws said:

Did the ball come to him off a Saints player? If so he looked onside when it was played.  But it all happened so fast I can see why it was ruled out.  

That hadn’t occurred to me, fair point. And I certainly didn’t notice either way.

We’re absolutely unbelievable, but why do we always have to peak when there’s another fucking juggernaut. Shaqiri was great, klopp’s some man throwing him in a midfield 3, 13mil was an absolute no brainer he’s gonna be a real asset. Great to see Mo bag, seems like it had been playing on his mind, like a fucking bolt onto that ball. Firmino and Wij very good, Matip also excellent, superb header. Thankfully VVD injury doesn’t look anything too serious and he’ll hopefully be back at Stamford Bridge next weekend.

Was out yesterday & just seen MOTD

Great to see Salah with a smile back on his face

The last few games he's looked really worried - as if he's not sure he's doing well enough (or as well as last year) and trying too hard as a result

Klopp said after the PSG game that he's got no worries about him and he's been doing really well defensively. 

My guess is Salah is the type of player that needs a lot of positive affirmation/external validation and Klopp has been giving him that the last few days, so he's stopped worrying and just started to enjoy his football again. 

17 hours ago, daved said:

In dreamland at the momemt.

Its an absolute luxury that my only concerns are Klopp taking off a new signing at half time after playing very well, and another very expensive signing continues to sit it out in Fabinho......

Feel a bit bad on Fabinho as he will get the "consolation" of starting in the league cup.  

Guess Klopp knows best-cant argue with the results and long, long may it continue.

Having this kind of depth to the squad is very surreal and I worry about those not playing to a slightly obsessed extent 

It's like Rogers refusing to play his comitee signings all over again.