You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (H) Premier League 22/9 Match Thread

Bjornebye

In two minds about resting Salah for this. I understand people saying give him a week out the side and focus him for the Chelsea league match but I have a feeling this is the kind of game he can get back into form. Southampton are shit and a goal for him would do him the world of good. I'd start Keita, Henderson and Wijnaldum for this. I'd also look Fabinho on early in the 2nd half to give him a decent run out as I expect he will start in the league cup against Chelsea. Give Milner a bit of a rest because he was everywhere last night and we need his aggression against Chelsea more than these. 

Same back 4 and goalie obviously. The 3 amigos up-front. 

3 nil reds. 

Exactly the point some of us have been making on here about when we struggled last year in the 3 game weeks.

If we are gonna really push for title this year this needs to change and hopefully with a bit more depth now it will....

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-post-european-hangovers-hit-15181180.amp?__twitter_impression=true

We finally have some reasonable depth, and now that mid-week European games are back it's time to start using it.

The only utterly indispensable outfield players are van Dijk and Robertson (and arguably Salah, but he looks a bit shattered and could maybe use the rest here). Other than that, in my opinion it's time to start rotating two players/game to the bench to ensure we get to April healthy and rested. Obviously the next midweek game is the Carabao Cup so we can probably rest 4-5 then, so this isn't quite as crucial but I would think it would be a good idea to get ahead of the game when we can (and Southampton at home is definitely a chance to do so).

I'd personally play Shaqiri in for Salah and maybe Matip in for Gomez, but I'm not particularly bothered which 2 we start the rotation with. If Klopp would rather do Clyne in for TAA and put Fabinho in for Milner or something like that I'm perfectly fine with that.

I just think this is the perfect chance for us to get started with rotation and thus save a bit of our players' legs moving forwards. Nothing drastic, just a couple of judicious changes and ensure the bulk of our team stays the same to keep the momentum going.

Slur Alex used to rotate before it was popular but generally only in home matches against lesser sides. Tomorrow has got to be an opportunity to rest several. Wednesday we can put out a completely different side to the one that started Tuesday (or last satdee) and still have a decent chance of proceeding (Chelsea will do much the same). A week tomorrow we need our top 11 at full speed.

15 hours ago, Barnesey said:

Slur Alex used to rotate before it was popular but generally only in home matches against lesser sides. Tomorrow has got to be an opportunity to rest several. Wednesday we can put out a completely different side to the one that started Tuesday (or last satdee) and still have a decent chance of proceeding (Chelsea will do much the same). A week tomorrow we need our top 11 at full speed.

For me if we 'rest several' we risk undoing our 100% start massively.

This is a game we need to win and be at 100% for and apply pressure on chelsea going to a west ham side who should have their tails up.

Our record in 3 game weeks last sesson was shocking - no risks, no fucking about - full strength and get a record 18 pts from 6 up....

I’d like to see the following:

Back 5 exactly the same as usual. Shouldn’t be fucking about with that for an important league game.

midfield of Fabinho Gini

Shaqiri 

Same front three as usual with the benefit of Bobby having only played last 20 on tues. Hopefully Mo play himself into a bit of form against a so called “easier” team.

The reasons for tinkering with the midfield is it gives Jimmy Milner a blow in spite of his excellent form he’s going to need a rest now and again. Hendo whilst excellent on tues night doesn’t offer much guile against shite teams that come to Anfield and sit back hoping for a point whereas Shaqiri hopefully will do. Gini has been boss all season. Finally if you’re going to pay £40 odd million for a highly rated defensive midfielder surely we shouldn’t all shit our kecks if he’s given a home debut against Southampton??? He’s going to have to start contributing sooner or later.

Play the rezzies in the league cup.

Then back to full strength for the Chelsea league game (ie Hendo, Milner, Gini)

Not drastic changes in my opinion. The way we play some minor rotation is going to be essential before they all end up gassed around new year again.

And I completely forgot about Naby....!!

I'd really consider going all out attacking midfield for this. 

Think they will sit really deep and proper snidey/shithouse/Hughes tactics

Same back 5

Fabinho or Gini sitting and Shaqiri and Keita ahead with the front three, we need them to start clicking again with the upcoming games. Give the likes of Origi,Solanke and Sturride a go in the league cup

On 9/21/2018 at 8:00 AM, an tha said:

Exactly the point some of us have been making on here about when we struggled last year in the 3 game weeks.

If we are gonna really push for title this year this needs to change and hopefully with a bit more depth now it will....

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-post-european-hangovers-hit-15181180.amp?__twitter_impression=true

We also have a massive advantage in having every one of our League games following Europe being at home. 

Sometimes the chips just fall perfectly for you, and this is definitely best case scenario. 

Let's hope we can make the most of this. 

Usually I have a strong opinion on who should start for us.

But our squad is so good now & I trust Klopp so much, I really don't care who starts.

Klopp has all the information.  He'll know who is tired, who is bouncing in training, whether Fabinho / Shaqiri are ready or not, whether Gomez or Trent need a rest etc etc.

I'm just going to sit back & enjoy watching us.

The one thing I hope, is our fans listen to what I manager asked for in the press conference - a great atmosphere.  That's our duty, it's all he asked for, to sing & back the team.  If we do that & make the atmosphere electric, then we know this team will produce.

• Upvote 1