You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Saving Stuff - But Not on Cloud or Computer Hard drive

LF:D

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Cloud or PC, to be honest. You can move your data from those to a USB or External, manually or via options like AnyTrans, if you so desire, but them's your options mate. 

Thanks.

I guess you just need different connections / equipment to do it on Ipad / iPhone compared to a PC where they use USB?

8 minutes ago, LF:D said:

Thanks.

I guess you just need different connections / equipment to do it on Ipad / iPhone compared to a PC where they use USB?

I'm not sure you can do it straight from the iPhone/iPad to a USB. You'll probably need a computer to do that. Why the fear of cloud back-up? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I'm not sure you can do it straight from the iPhone/iPad to a USB. You'll probably need a computer to do that. Why the fear of cloud back-up? 

Don't trust it.  Want to control what I have.

Ahhh so you transfer the Ipad / iPhone stuff to a PC, then transfer it to an external HD.  I get you, thanks.

2 minutes ago, LF:D said:

Don't trust it.  Want to control what I have.

Okay, I think it's probably because you don't understand it (I don't mean that to be cunty, but that's generally where distrust of things like that come from). If you want extra security, you can always encrypt it before you upload it. But unless you've got some seriously illegal shit, a secure password is as secure as it being on your PC. Probably even more so. That said, it's not as secure as storage that's not connected to any networks. For example, and unplugged USB.

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Okay, I think it's probably because you don't understand it (I don't mean that to be cunty, but that's generally where distrust of things like that come from). If you want extra security, you can always encrypt it before you upload it. But unless you've got some seriously illegal shit, a secure password is as secure as it being on your PC. Probably even more so. That said, it's not as secure as storage that's not connected to any networks. For example, and unplugged USB.

I don't fully understand it.  But when I got a new phone, I lost loads of photos.  Maybe because I wasn't fully using the cloud properly.  But I'd like the extra security & an external HD would make me feel safer as an insurance option.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LF:D said:

I don't fully understand it.  But when I got a new phone, I lost loads of photos.  Maybe because I wasn't fully using the cloud properly.  But I'd like the extra security & an external HD would make me feel safer as an insurance option.

Yeah, that's fair enough mate. Cloud storage and back up is bloody brilliant, automatic, and a bit of a lifesaver, but I understand that it can be a bit confusing if you're not used to it or not tech savvy. The good thing about externals is you can store them elsewhere (the car is a good option) so that if something happens to your PC, or you have a fire in the house that takes them all out, you've still got your data. I personally have several. I have a local back up for redundancy (you know, me being a daft cunt and deleting everything), then I have cloud stuff for data that I would like to be able to retrieve anywhere. Then I have an offsite. I've been stung before!