You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham 1 Liverpool 2 (Sep 15 2018)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Five wins from five topped off by completely bossing Spurs at Wembley, and you know what I was mostly feeling at full time? Irritation. Mad isn’t it? Especially as I’d have snatched your hand off for any type of win beforehand. Given the way it played out though it was hard not to be annoyed.

Obviously with the dust now settled on it I’m delighted with the win and really impressed with the performance, but I’m not gonna lie, I’m still a little pissed off that not only did we let Spurs escape what should have been a defeat for the ages, somehow we ended up hanging on and might have even blown the win if Michael Oliver had spotted Sadio clipping Son’s heel as he shaped to shoot.

As pleasing as it is to see the lads go to Spurs and dominate that like, it’s outrageous that they somehow came so close to blowing it. Spurs couldn’t even lay a glove on us, while their goal led a charmed life. The forward line in last year’s form would have given Spurs the most humiliating afternoon of their lives. Their form this year is nothing like it was, but more so as a collective than as individuals. They're not playing badly, they just aren't always playing for eachother. Some of the decision making, particularly in the second half, had Klopp pulling his hair out on the touchline.

Tell you what though, there’s going to be carnage when the forwards do get on the same page again because the rest of the team are getting it done in a big way. This was a fantastic team performance and the forwards did play their part, despite their lack of ruthlessness. Their finishing and decision making undoubtedly left a lot to be desired, but the work rate and pressing as a unit had Spurs all over the place. We made a good team look very, very ordinary.

Right from the start we were on the front foot and it looked as though we’d taken the lead inside the first minute when Milner’s cross found its way into the far corner. Firmino had gone for it and might have gotten a slight touch. He was well onside. Mané also went for it and it looked like he also got a touch. He was definitely offside. Whether he touched it or not doesn’t really matter in this case. He went for the ball when in a clearly offside position and it distracted the keeper. No complaints and it was a good sign that we were right at it.

There were other chances too. Mo went clean through but shot straight at Vorm. Not like him that but it’s kind of how things have been going so far this season. Last year that was a goal, without question. He’s not playing badly but he’s just not quite there yet. We’re talking fractions though.

Maybe he's thinking too much abut scoring and needs to play, do the right things and just let nature take its course. In this team the chances will come, there's no need to try and force anything.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Dave. You forgot to mention one thing. 90 mins, 2-0 up, Klopp decides to secure the points bringing on Matip for Arnold. IMO a poor decision that could’ve cost us.

We were in full control. Whatever extra aerial presence we might get from Matip the advantage is lost when our defensive balance is disrupted. It’s simply dangerous. I say, just keep the solid defense on and see out the game. Has to stop this.

• Upvote 1

the one thing that irritated me and no  one else seems to have mentioned it is big virgil doing an impression of moreno and putting his hands behind his back and turning  away as lamela scores  i know i'm being picky but it does my fucking head in when i see them do that, harry kane the big slobbering goon, love it, your reports well worth the subscription dave keep em coming  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JustTosh said:

Dave. You forgot to mention one thing. 90 mins, 2-0 up, Klopp decides to secure the points bringing on Matip for Arnold. IMO a poor decision that could’ve cost us.

We were in full control. Whatever extra aerial presence we might get from Matip the advantage is lost when our defensive balance is disrupted. It’s simply dangerous. I say, just keep the solid defense on and see out the game. Has to stop this.

Yeah I don't like those changes, never have. Not sure it caused the problem on Saturday but in general I don't like it. It's different when the opposition goes full alehouse and sticks a centre half up front and we need extra height, but Spurs didn't do that.

5 hours ago, JustTosh said:

I might be wrong of course, but after reading the report I have this sneaky feeling Tottenham Hotspur is not Dave’s favorite club. Reading between the lines I’d say he doesn’t admire their players much either.

That's extremely perceptive of you. Clearly you're very good at reading between the lines!

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, dave u said:

That's extremely perceptive of you. Clearly you're very good at reading between the lines!

We’d been rock solid for 90 mins. Then a change in formation and suddenly Lamela is alone with all the time in 
the world. Coincidence? In my book the only coincidental was that Lamela actually managed to hit the target.
This nonsense has to stop. Hopefully Kloppo sees it too.

"Lamela = boy band looking cunt" seriously Dave, get a grip. Neg of all negs. Hyper-neg. Nuclear neg. Negarama. Galaxian neg. Space invaders neg. Smegneg. NEGGGGGGGGGGGG. 

One look at him and I'm jizzing me knickers. Tell me you're not, go on, I dare you. Drop dead fucking gorgeous. 

2 hours ago, rb14 said:

"Lamela = boy band looking cunt" seriously Dave, get a grip. Neg of all negs. Hyper-neg. Nuclear neg. Negarama. Galaxian neg. Space invaders neg. Smegneg. NEGGGGGGGGGGGG. 

One look at him and I'm jizzing me knickers. Tell me you're not, go on, I dare you. Drop dead fucking gorgeous. 

He's no Paddy Berger.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic