Quantcast
Neville Southall - Page 2 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Section_31

Neville Southall

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I remember him having some sort of dispute with the club about 88 or 89 I think, towards the end of his career anyway, where he sat against the goalposts at half time rather than going in with the rest of the players.

A blue in work was livid with him, he said, and I quote, "The cunt should get back on the fucking bins where he came from. That's what he is, a fucking bin man the fucking ungrateful cunt". It was a proper rant that went on for ages.

Funny as fuck.

Absolutely brilliant Goalie though, one of the best ever.

He didn't retire until about 2000 did he? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened to him doing a podcast with Carragher, and he came across as an absolute gent. 

 

He volunteers in a school for kids that kicked out of other schools for whatever reasons, and he also has a vice regarding lgbt and homosexuality in football. He just seems a really doorn to earth decent bloke. 

 

Hell of a keeper to!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best keeper around at the time great bloke as well I follow him on Twitter he despises the Tories as well which gets him another tick , saw him last year at an after dinner things  and he didn't hide his disdain for Mike Walker called him an absolute fraud 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He didn't retire until about 2000 did he? 

Just checked and you're right, He made 3 appearances for Rhyl in 2001.

He'd put in 3 transfer requests in the 90/91 season which were knocked back.

Didn't realise he'd played that long even if it was in the lower leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Edit.

He made his last appearance for Everton in November 97. His last game was for Rhyl in 2001.

He'd put in 3 transfer requests in the 90/91 season that were knocked back which was the reason for his 'sulk' as it was described.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I remember him having some sort of dispute with the club about 88 or 89 I think, towards the end of his career anyway, where he sat against the goalposts at half time rather than going in with the rest of the players.

It was a wee bit later than that - 1991. He’d been a key player as they’d gone from a prestigious nothing club to one of the best in the country. Then he’d carried on being brilliant as they became more and more mediocre - goalkeeper in the PFA Team of the year for four years on the trot (1986-87 to 1989-90) wasn’t to be sniffed at. 
 

Alex Ferguson then called him to see if he’d be interested in going to Manchester; Southall told him to fuck off, despite having been fined two weeks wages for his protest, so United signed some Danish fella instead. I can’t remember much about the Dane, but I know that he had written to Souness around the same time asking for a trial but was turned down because we’d just signed David James.

Insert a facepalm emoji here... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ron B said:

It was a wee bit later than that - 1991. He’d been a key player as they’d gone from a prestigious nothing club to one of the best in the country. Then he’d carried on being brilliant as they became more and more mediocre - goalkeeper in the PFA Team of the year for four years on the trot (1986-87 to 1989-90) wasn’t to be sniffed at. 
 

Alex Ferguson then called him to see if he’d be interested in going to Manchester; Southall told him to fuck off, despite having been fined two weeks wages for his protest, so United signed some Danish fella instead. I can’t remember much about the Dane, but I know that he had written to Souness around the same time asking for a trial but was turned down because we’d just signed David James.

Insert a facepalm emoji here... 

Several facepalm emoji's methinks!, we wouldn't have dropped as many points as we did with this Danish fella instead of James.

Southall fucking Ferguson off does ring a bell,  makes you like him even more.

Thanks Ron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Several facepalm emoji's methinks!, we wouldn't have dropped as many points as we did with this Danish fella instead of James.

Southall fucking Ferguson off does ring a bell,  makes you like him even more.

Thanks Ron.

No problem. It gets worse too. Souness twice rejected their chance to take Cantona - first when he was unhappy in France (admittedly half of the old First Division did too), and again when he wanted to leave Elland Road and join “a big club” (he listed us as one of three sides he’d be happy to go to when he moaned to Wilkinson). 
 

After revealing some appalling judgement in the transfer market, the board then took a degree of control back from Souness. Which is why we signed Nigel Clough when Forest went down, instead of Souness’s first choice: Roy Keane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ron B said:

No problem. It gets worse too. Souness twice rejected their chance to take Cantona - first when he was unhappy in France (admittedly half of the old First Division did too), and again when he wanted to leave Elland Road and join “a big club” (he listed us as one of three sides he’d be happy to go to when he moaned to Wilkinson). 
 

After revealing some appalling judgement in the transfer market, the board then took a degree of control back from Souness. Which is why we signed Nigel Clough when Forest went down, instead of Souness’s first choice: Roy Keane. 

Those I do remember.

How different things could've been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

Those I do remember.

How different things could've been.

He'd have been shit under Souness anyway. One player wouldnt have made much difference in that squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cantona was a great player, but an impossible character. Ferguson was clever enough to manage him, not sure Souness would have had the same intelligence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I listened to him doing a podcast with Carragher, and he came across as an absolute gent. 

 

He volunteers in a school for kids that kicked out of other schools for whatever reasons, and he also has a vice regarding lgbt and homosexuality in football. He just seems a really doorn to earth decent bloke. 

 

Hell of a keeper to!!

Best autocorrect on here for a while. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

Best autocorrect on here for a while. 

 

 

Ah, the delights of working as a newspaper sub-editor and having to constantly insert hyphens in ‘vice chairman’. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ron B said:

 

Ah, the delights of working as a newspaper sub-editor and having to constantly insert hyphens in ‘vice chairman’. 

What newspaper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His words and actions, in public and private, say a whole lot for a man who gives generously, of himself to help others in much less privileged positions. His open disdain for the tories is a joy to behold. He never misses an opportunity to stick the boot in when needed, which sadly, is all the time.

 

like VladimirIlyich, for the sake of his health and wellbeing, I do wish that he would lose a significant amount of the weight that he carries. His voice and representation in the community is needed and would be great to have him fit and healthy to continue that selfless social minded work for many years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×