You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Neville Southall

Section_31

16 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I remember him having some sort of dispute with the club about 88 or 89 I think, towards the end of his career anyway, where he sat against the goalposts at half time rather than going in with the rest of the players.

A blue in work was livid with him, he said, and I quote, "The cunt should get back on the fucking bins where he came from. That's what he is, a fucking bin man the fucking ungrateful cunt". It was a proper rant that went on for ages.

Funny as fuck.

Absolutely brilliant Goalie though, one of the best ever.

He didn't retire until about 2000 did he? 

I listened to him doing a podcast with Carragher, and he came across as an absolute gent. 

He volunteers in a school for kids that kicked out of other schools for whatever reasons, and he also has a vice regarding lgbt and homosexuality in football. He just seems a really doorn to earth decent bloke. 

Hell of a keeper to!!

4 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I remember him having some sort of dispute with the club about 88 or 89 I think, towards the end of his career anyway, where he sat against the goalposts at half time rather than going in with the rest of the players.

It was a wee bit later than that - 1991. He’d been a key player as they’d gone from a prestigious nothing club to one of the best in the country. Then he’d carried on being brilliant as they became more and more mediocre - goalkeeper in the PFA Team of the year for four years on the trot (1986-87 to 1989-90) wasn’t to be sniffed at. 

Alex Ferguson then called him to see if he’d be interested in going to Manchester; Southall told him to fuck off, despite having been fined two weeks wages for his protest, so United signed some Danish fella instead. I can’t remember much about the Dane, but I know that he had written to Souness around the same time asking for a trial but was turned down because we’d just signed David James.

Insert a facepalm emoji here... 

18 minutes ago, Ron B said:

It was a wee bit later than that - 1991. He’d been a key player as they’d gone from a prestigious nothing club to one of the best in the country. Then he’d carried on being brilliant as they became more and more mediocre - goalkeeper in the PFA Team of the year for four years on the trot (1986-87 to 1989-90) wasn’t to be sniffed at. 

Alex Ferguson then called him to see if he’d be interested in going to Manchester; Southall told him to fuck off, despite having been fined two weeks wages for his protest, so United signed some Danish fella instead. I can’t remember much about the Dane, but I know that he had written to Souness around the same time asking for a trial but was turned down because we’d just signed David James.

Insert a facepalm emoji here... 

Several facepalm emoji's methinks!, we wouldn't have dropped as many points as we did with this Danish fella instead of James.

Southall fucking Ferguson off does ring a bell,  makes you like him even more.

Thanks Ron.

10 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Several facepalm emoji's methinks!, we wouldn't have dropped as many points as we did with this Danish fella instead of James.

Southall fucking Ferguson off does ring a bell,  makes you like him even more.

Thanks Ron.

No problem. It gets worse too. Souness twice rejected their chance to take Cantona - first when he was unhappy in France (admittedly half of the old First Division did too), and again when he wanted to leave Elland Road and join “a big club” (he listed us as one of three sides he’d be happy to go to when he moaned to Wilkinson). 

After revealing some appalling judgement in the transfer market, the board then took a degree of control back from Souness. Which is why we signed Nigel Clough when Forest went down, instead of Souness’s first choice: Roy Keane. 

Just now, Ron B said:

No problem. It gets worse too. Souness twice rejected their chance to take Cantona - first when he was unhappy in France (admittedly half of the old First Division did too), and again when he wanted to leave Elland Road and join “a big club” (he listed us as one of three sides he’d be happy to go to when he moaned to Wilkinson). 

After revealing some appalling judgement in the transfer market, the board then took a degree of control back from Souness. Which is why we signed Nigel Clough when Forest went down, instead of Souness’s first choice: Roy Keane. 

Those I do remember.

How different things could've been.

20 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I listened to him doing a podcast with Carragher, and he came across as an absolute gent. 

He volunteers in a school for kids that kicked out of other schools for whatever reasons, and he also has a vice regarding lgbt and homosexuality in football. He just seems a really doorn to earth decent bloke. 

Hell of a keeper to!!

Best autocorrect on here for a while. 

His words and actions, in public and private, say a whole lot for a man who gives generously, of himself to help others in much less privileged positions. His open disdain for the tories is a joy to behold. He never misses an opportunity to stick the boot in when needed, which sadly, is all the time.

like VladimirIlyich, for the sake of his health and wellbeing, I do wish that he would lose a significant amount of the weight that he carries. His voice and representation in the community is needed and would be great to have him fit and healthy to continue that selfless social minded work for many years to come.