You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PSG(h) Champions League Match thread

LFC 6 Times

58 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Sturridge isn’t capable of sprinting anymore, let alone be part of an aggressive pressing unit. Playing him in the Bobby role tomorrow night would be akin to starting with ten men  

I’d be as happy as anyone to see him get a few goals against the shite teams but if Firmino is out tomorrow the only decision Klopp should be making is which one out of Mane and Salah will be playing down the middle.

Is right.

11 hours ago, aRdja said:

In 13/14, he was brilliant, one of the best strikers in the leagues. I’m hoping he could get back to that if luck is on his side with injuries. He’s meant to be in his prime now.

That was his prime, you'll never see Sturridge play like that again.

Was watching highlights of the 97 Cup Winners Cup Final against PSG the other night and fuck me how did we nearly win the league that season with a Keystone Cops defence and fucking David James in goal?

55 minutes ago, Stickman said:

That was his prime, you'll never see Sturridge play like that again.

Was watching highlights of the 97 Cup Winners Cup Final against PSG the other night and fuck me how did we nearly win the league that season with a Keystone Cops defence and fucking David James in goal?

We ended up coming fourth for that very reason with a points tally that wouldn't crack the top six these days.

It was the semi final too.  We got bummed 3-0 then nearly turned it around in the second leg (2-0) missing chances late on to make it three.   Went on to do the exact same thing against another French team a year or two later in the Uefa cup.

13 hours ago, aRdja said:

In 13/14, he was brilliant, one of the best strikers in the leagues. I’m hoping he could get back to that if luck is on his side with injuries. He’s meant to be in his prime now.

hahaha, stop it. fucking hell while we're at it, shall we see if robbie fowler and michael owen fancy a game?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Grinch said:

Wouldn’t say the squad is small.  It’s sized about right but far too many squad options that haven’t and won’t offer fuck all.  Pretty much all the attacking options other than Shaqiri aren’t worth mentioning and he’s got it all to prove.

There’s  not too many weaknesses in the first XI now so thankfully we should be sorting our diabolical attacking depth next summer, especially with Sturridge finally binned for good.

its why talk of a title challenge is so laughable and worse still people saying strong squad when is quite obvious a quality first XI with very little behind it.   Keep most of our important players fit and we’ve a great chance in this comp under Klopp this season If we get past the group.

So you agree with me our squad is small? I appreciate we have players like lallana, sturridge, origi & solanke - but do we want to use any of them at any time this season? as far as I am concerned, we're pretty much where we were last season, when I think everyone agreed our squad was too small. Fabinho has come in for Can. Effectively Keita will replace the games we saw from Coutinho and AOC. Shaquiri replaces Ings, which is about the only upgrade we have and it remains to be seen what he can contribute. 

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

So you agree with me our squad is small? I appreciate we have players like lallana, sturridge, origi & solanke - but do we want to use any of them at any time this season? as far as I am concerned, we're pretty much where we were last season, when I think everyone agreed our squad was too small. Fabinho has come in for Can. Effectively Keita will replace the games we saw from Coutinho and AOC. Shaquiri replaces Ings, which is about the only upgrade we have and it remains to be seen what he can contribute. 

Yea of course it's the exact same and everyone would agree with you in May but it's the usually story when the optimism kicks in, out goes rational thinking.  They'll agree in May again this year when history repeats itself.

We're getting there.  If we don't lose any of our good players, there won't be much to do next year other than improve our depth and finally rid of ourselves of non entities like Sturridge and Lallana.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather Shaquiri over Sturridge as well. Play Mo through the middle. Too big a game to be risking relying on Sturridge from the start. 

Their squad is fucking boss.... shitting it as a loss tonight will knock the wind out of our sails with a few big league matches on the horizon. 

• Upvote 1

Sturridge is about as mobile as Benteke these days. No way will he do any pressing and if one downs tools the system doesn't work. I still say we should have got rid in the summer as we don't play the way we did back in 13/14 plus there is no Suarez. Sturridge certainly can't play to that standard any longer anyway . In any event Klopp won't start him if Bobby can't play.

Would be a big mistake IMO to replace Bobby's energy, leading of the press and defending from the front with the barely able to run Sturridge.

As has been said - Shaqiri wide and Mo down middle is surely the better option - with how fluid the front 3 play as well then Sturridge is no use as he is useless moving wide...

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

Sturridge is about as mobile as Benteke these days. No way will he do any pressing and if one downs tools the system doesn't work. I still say we should have got rid in the summer as we don't play the way we did back in 13/14 plus there is no Suarez. Sturridge certainly can't play to that standard any longer anyway . In any event Klopp won't start him if Bobby can't play.

We would have replaced him many seasons ago if anyone was stupid enough to take his wages off us.  Thankfully that milestone around our neck is gone in the summer.

He shouldn't be playing a single minute in an important game, downright stupidity wasting minutes on him when we've players with a future needing minutes.   I guess it'll come when Klopp's happy that Shaqiri is up to speed with what he wants and until then we'll just need to pray the front three stay fit.

I'm still very happy with the summers work.  It was clear we weren't getting a keeper if we got that big money attacker (Fekir).  That's worked out well for us cause Allison is a big sexy cunt whose improved us massively from day one.