You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which player in world football would improve us the most?

Elite

On 9/13/2018 at 4:25 AM, dave u said:

For me the answer is De Bruyne by a massive distance.

This is the answer.

I would accept an argument for Kante or Umtiti as well. Maybe, at a push, I'd think about Verratti.

I don't think most of you are really thinking about the question - which player improves US the most? We already have the best front 3, who are most suited to Klopp's style of play, in the entire world. If you want to improve our team, you have to look at the midfield or maybe a centre back. The weakest position in our team is the link between attack and midfield, another 8 to go alongside Keita or maybe a 10.

De Bruyne would instantly solve that problem and take it from our weakest position to one of our strongest. Therefore he has to be the answer. You could say that Kante is good enough at the DM position that he'd improve us more - I disagree, but it's a reasonable argument. You could also say that with Umtiti alongside van Dijk we may never concede again - again, I disagree, but it's a reasonable argument.

But arguing that the marginal gain we get from replacing Salah with Messi or Mbappe is the best we can do isn't taking the question seriously IMO.

13 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

We’re going to fall out. Well, mildly disagree. He’s too slow, and not just in terms of pace. 

Also Neves is a pure central midfielder, not that Coutinho, Fekir type player who has top quality on the ball can play in the front 3 or midfield, pass, dribble and score. One of those would be great.

Even though I do love a passing central midfielder and wouldn’t mind one of them either.

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

Just throwing his name out as an example. Our deficiencies though, I stand by.

Oh yeah, for sure. We definitely are. We need a few more in the squad to get to city’s level. I genuinely think that we walk the league of city aren’t around. But they are so we need a couple more top quality additions. That’s where we are now. You have to be a worldie to get in. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh yeah, for sure. We definitely are. We need a few more in the squad to get to city’s level. I genuinely think that we walk the league of city aren’t around. But they are so we need a couple more top quality additions. That’s where we are now. You have to be a worldie to get in. 

I miss / we miss not having someone who can regularly twat the ball in from 30 yards.

When Shitcoat parks the bus, this counts for much.

• Upvote 1