You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grassroots football

Walter Sobchak

Played Saturday & Sunday footy for years. Saturday was far more cultured and a general understanding of teams attempting to play some decent footy.

Sunday was a piss heads and knobheads free for all. So many knobheads loved kicking off and would turn up with bad hangovers spewing up on the pitch.

Helped my dad run an under 15s team but my dad ended up being free childcare for kids while parents went the pub or had a lie in. They would turn up out of the blue if their kid didn't start a game and kick off. My dad fucked it off after ferrying the kids round everywhere after seeing most of them know the pub every Sunday lunchtime.

I’m involved in coaching my sons team under 9s have & been involved since the academy with 4 & 5 year olds.

I enjoy it it’s hard work and a lot of commitment & patience needed but very rewarding. The problem a lot of local clubs have is not having enough volunteers to help take teams.

• Upvote 1

I’m involved in coaching my sons team under 9s have & been involved since the academy with 4 & 5 year olds.

I enjoy it it’s hard work and a lot of commitment & patience needed but very rewarding. The problem a lot of local clubs have is not having enough volunteers to help take teams.

It’s the same everywhere and not just football. Two of us coach at the local cricket club. We do All Stars, U9, U11 and U13 between the two of us. Most of the parents are happy just to turn up have a few beers whilst we run ourselves into the ground. I do it for my kids, but it is essentially just cheap child care.

• Upvote 2

Coach my daughters under 9s team (she's the only girl), started last September, and a few months ago started the U5s (now U6s) group up, which my son is in, as the head coach who usually gets them started at that age had 2 teams on the go after a parent coach dropped out, and seeing as I was there anyway thought I may as well to get my boy started. With setting up and packing away its over 3 hours every Saturday morning, and then the Sunday mornings once the season starts.

I really enjoy it though and am all in, have an 80 minute commute each way so listen to podcasts on youth development/coaching, read a load of blogs/articles/books on it too, did my Level 1 and Futsal Level 1 too. 

• Upvote 2

Coach my daughters under 9s team (she's the only girl), started last September, and a few months ago started the U5s (now U6s) group up, which my son is in, as the head coach who usually gets them started at that age had 2 teams on the go after a parent coach dropped out, and seeing as I was there anyway thought I may as well to get my boy started. With setting up and packing away its over 3 hours every Saturday morning, and then the Sunday mornings once the season starts.

I really enjoy it though and am all in, have an 80 minute commute each way so listen to podcasts on youth development/coaching, read a load of blogs/articles/books on it too, did my Level 1 and Futsal Level 1 too.

could you DM me some of the coaching podcasts you listen too ?

Cheers

I can post them here!

I'm on Android, so some may be on iTunes for those with Apple. A lot of these will have the same guests on (especially if they have a book out!) or have each other on their podcasts

This is my favourite one, its multi-sport, but all relevant and does have a lot of football based people on there. I'm fully bought in to his way of thinking. The early pods do have some sound quality issues, but he sorts it out eventually

https://www.spreaker.com/show/the-talent-equation-podcast

There are quite a few on Soundcloud I listen to:

MyFootballCoach - Youth Soccer Player Development Podcast

Modern Soccer Coach

Liverpool FA Podcast

These Football Times - Decent general footy podcast, but have some episodes called The Coaches Forum

This Football Life - Similar to the last one, some of the pods are with youth coaches

Just Kicking It Pod

The V2 Academy

Functional Football Podcast

Others that I like are 

http://wayofchampions.libsyn.com/

https://coachreed.com/podcast/page/8/ The ones called The Coaching Code

http://thecoachingjourney.org/the-journey-podcast.html

And I came across this one recently, made by fairly recent grassroots youth coaches, who are coaching their kids, and who are also Liverpool fans that are about the same age as me, so it really resonated for me https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/podcastscom-2/grass-roots-coach-cast

That should keep you busy!

I've been listening to between 5 and 10 of them a week for the last year or so. I do find myself tuning out sometimes as I will be reading Twitter/blogs/articles at the same time and I have listened to so many now, but there is some really good  stuff in there

• Upvote 1

Did it for about 15 years as a coach and about ten as a referee too. Got to my Level 3 (Uefa B ,but have had to pack in due to health problems. Had my fair share of abuse as both coach and referee too but at least I got a little bit of cash as a referee and hardly got paid as a coach. Would love to do it again one day soon and still really enjoy the player development and coaching side of the game. Was with LFC on the female side for a couple of years too.

• Upvote 2

At what age will you daughter have to start playing girls football? It’s 14 in Wales.

Which podcasts do you listen to?

At what age will you daughter have to start playing girls football? It’s 14 in Wales.

Which podcasts do you listen to?

I think its actually 18 in England.

I think The Woolsita will only have another season or 2 though, she's quite small and struggles a bit with the physicality of the boys, and I think it will probably get worse, so will probably look for a girls team.

There used to be a ref in our Saturday league games who was a big grock scally about 6 foot 7 with a shaved head. He used to speak to the teams in the dressing room before the game. We were playing a scall team from Speke who had owed about 800 quid in fines.

Both of us had to share a Portacabin because the Speke scalls had burnt the dressing rooms down.

He walks in, slams the door and says "alright yer fucking Gay bastards, I know you are all looking forward to giving me some grief and I know one of you teams are a gang of dirty cunts but if any of you give me any fucking shit or have a fucking problem with any decisons i make you'll be sorry and I'll fucking see you after the game in the car park alone and you can say it to my face and we'll see how hard you are". He then clapped his hands and said "ok lads let's enjoy the game".

The game was played like a training session and no one said a word to him.

• Upvote 1

There used to be a ref in our Saturday league games who was a big grock scally about 6 foot 7 with a shaved head. He used to speak to the teams in the dressing room before the game. We were playing a scall team from Speke who had owed about 800 quid in fines.

Both of us had to share a Portacabin because the Speke scalls had burnt the dressing rooms down.

He walks in, slams the door and says "alright yer fucking Gay bastards, I know you are all looking forward to giving me some grief and I know one of you teams are a gang of dirty cunts but if any of you give me any fucking shit or have a fucking problem with any decisons i make you'll be sorry and I'll fucking see you after the game in the car park alone and you can say it to my face and we'll see how hard you are". He then clapped his hands and said "ok lads let's enjoy the game".

That’s brilliant.

You're ok,I've given up reffing now!

Used to watch my uncles play in the Bootle JOC league in the early seventies & like most teams they were a mix of eager youngsters who would be kicking in from a quarter to three & the older guys who used to sit as long as possible smoking in the changies. One game they were sat in there just after 3pm and an officious little ref who from memory looked a bit like an emaciated Captain Mainwaring came storming in and said ' Right , if you aren't on the pitch by 5 past you will incur a 25p fine ' , one of the guys smoking fumbled in his pocket and flicked a 50p that hit the ref right on the forehead and said ' Go and get warmed up we'll be out at 10 past '.

• Upvote 1