You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Sep 1-7 2018)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Sep 1: 

Leicester 1 L 2. We might not play as bad as that second half again all season. I certainly hope not, as it was truly dire stuff. With the ball anyway, without it we were pretty good and didn’t really give Leicester too many chances. The goal we gave them was a joke but I’ve had my say on that elsewhere so don’t want to go over it again here. 

The one thing I would say about it is that usually if we were to give away a goal like that, in a close game in which we weren’t really clicking, there’s no way we’d have held on for the win (think Bournemouth away a couple of years ago). Or if we had, we’d have to ride our to get through. It wasn’t really like that at all though. The defence (by that I mean the team rather than just the back four) stood strong and we’ve now won four from four, including two victories at really tricky away grounds. Plenty of teams will drop points at Palace and Leicester this season, but we haven’t. 

It’s not much fun seeing Mo looking so miserable though. Clearly he’s got things on his mind but let’s hope he can sort through some of those issues with his national FA while he’s away this week. 

After the game Klopp was asked to comment on Mourinho’s disparaging remarks about him yesterday:

Klopp: “What did he say, I have not heard about this?”

Press: “He was unhappy that he’s getting so much criticism considering everything he’s won, and he said there are managers in the top four who haven’t won anything outside of their own country who get nothing but praise” 

Klopp: “He’s right. He’s the most successful manager and I haven’t won anything outside of Germany. I have no problem with it as it’s true”.

That’s boss that is. It was the perfect response as it doesn’t give any fuel to the fire Mourinho is trying to stoke. Unlike Mourinho, Klopp doesn’t care what people think about him and whether they recognise his achievements or not. Mourinho would have loved him to bite at that but he’s just took the jam right out of his donut there. Love it. Imagine having someone other than Klopp as your manager? Grim.

Sunday Sep 2: 

The u23s lost today against West Ham. Got to be honest, I have zero interest in watching them this season, at least not until Brewster is fit again and even then I'm not that excited about it (he's good but he's no Michael Owen). It’s weird really as I’ve always enjoyed watching the reserves, even going back to when I was kid. Now though, there’s just nothing in that team that grabs my attention. The best players all get loaned out and what’s left are a group of lads who are either not good enough to go out on loan or who would normally be playing in the u18s.

There are a few I really like and who might have a future here (Adam Lewis for example, he's boss) but there’s just not really anyone especially exciting to watch now that Wilson isn’t there anymore. 

Over in Turkey, Karius didn’t cover himself in glory on his Besiktas debut. He made one good save but then got caught in no mans land on a cross and conceded a cheap goal in a 1-1 draw. It wasn’t exactly a howler, but the fact I even know about it tells you that’s every move he makes is still going to be micro analysed on social media, and that’s exactly why it’s good that he’s not here. 

Speaking of social media, Juventus gained 4 million twitter followers after signing Ronaldo, while Real Madrid lost a million when they sold him. What the fuck is that all about? I genuinely don’t get it. Do these people actually support teams of their own, or do they just watch whoever Ronaldo is playing for? What are they going to do when he retires? Probably turn their obsession to Mbappe instead. Some people are fucking weird.  

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'The Week that Was' is only available to TLW website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first, registration is FREE) and can be purchased here.

• Upvote 1

“Maybe if back in the day I'd ran news articles whenever Rashid or Frode had come out with something mental I'd be over in Spain by now, living the high life like Duncan Oldham from Koptalk.”

Fuck me, that made me laugh.

I’ve never heard of rabiot as a Liverpool fan .... he’s psg born and bred, but he’s a a weird young man. His ma is the boss though.

Think it was one of those 'used to always go Liverpool on the playstation' type of deals. The article I read said something about 'took a keen interest in their results as a kid' rather than us being his number one team.

• dave u unpinned this topic