You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mark Lawrenson

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Yes, thanks, I'm well aware of that. It's not something I think is needed and not something I admire. There's absolutely nothing admirable about professional gainsaying. If there was, at least twenty people on here would have been awarded an MBE.

Why 'stretch out hours of football talk' - what the fuck is necessary, let alone admirable, about that?? It's like saying 'Well he has to keep hitting his wife because otherwise she'd get up and leave'. I know the logic. I don't have to have it explained to me. I just find the role profoundly pathetic.

Take last weekend. Klopp said Palace were the better side, he said his side played poorly, that it was their fault, his fault, and that was that. No excuses. Zero. Come Monday, Sutton rages at Klopp for mentioning that the dryness of the pitch wasn't ideal, telling him to stop moaning and accept his team didn't deserve to win. Now tell me how that was impressive, and why it should be tolerated, or even applauded, because I don't see anything but lazy cynicism.

I haven't said Sutton is either admirable or impressive. He's just one of a long line of people talking shite about football doing his job. I would suggest if you're looking for impressive and admirable, you are not starting in the best place on the Monday night club on 5live, because it's replicating a bunch of pricks in the pub, that's it's tone. But they're just actors playing a bit of an improv role, it's not them in real life. I feel you take it all a bit too seriously. It's just a bunch of background noise nonsense. 

8 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I haven't said Sutton is either admirable or impressive. He's just one of a long line of people talking shite about football doing his job. I would suggest if you're looking for impressive and admirable, you are not starting in the best place on the Monday night club on 5live, because it's replicating a bunch of pricks in the pub, that's it's tone. But they're just actors playing a bit of an improv role, it's not them in real life. I feel you take it all a bit too seriously. It's just a bunch of background noise nonsense. 

Said it an another thread but Rory Smith knows his stuff.

Or maybe anyone would sound like a football oracle sat next to Micha Richards.

4 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Said it an another thread but Rory Smith knows his stuff.

Or maybe anyone would sound like a football oracle sat next to Micha Richards.

But this is the thing. That Monday night club is Rory Smith playing the straight man. Michah Richards playing the "I think everything is funny" role. And Sutton doing the "everyone is wrong including me". 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't think Micah has any choice regarding his role. He's an imbecile.

He 100% comes across that way. 

Much like Ian Wright used to when he first started on telly. He’s admitted himself he was a paid clown and went along with it to stay on air but after a while felt it was demeaning (possibly racist) and after a break wanted to come back as a more serious pundit. 

He’ll never be a member of Mensa but Wright is actually worth listening to now, whereas previously he was like a toddler with ADHD who had just been given a family size bag of skittles and a pint can of monster and then wheeled out in front of the cameras. 

I reckon Richards is being played exactly the same. 

18 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

He 100% comes across that way. 

Much like Ian Wright used to when he first started on telly. He’s admitted himself he was a paid clown and went along with it to stay on air but after a while felt it was demeaning (possibly racist) and after a break wanted to come back as a more serious pundit. 

He’ll never be a member of Mensa but Wright is actually worth listening to now, whereas previously he was like a toddler with ADHD who had just been given a family size bag of skittles and a pint can of monster and then wheeled out in front of the cameras. 

I reckon Richards is being played exactly the same. 

Richards is on record of saying he's chosen to play the idiot. He said when he first started doing punditry he noticed how serious many of them took it and themselves (even sighting how he had to learn to be careful what he said while the game was on as if he made a good point, one of them would pinch it) and he thought it would be tough to break in and just be more of the same, so he chose just to enjoy himself and act a bit daft. He found that people liked that to lighten up their panels and quickly he couldn't cover all the work he was offered. 

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Richards is on record of saying he's chosen to play the idiot. He said when he first started doing punditry he noticed how serious many of them took it and themselves (even sighting how he had to learn to be careful what he said while the game was on as if he made a good point, one of them would pinch it) and he thought it would be tough to break in and just be more of the same, so he chose just to enjoy himself and act a bit daft. He found that people liked that to lighten up their panels and quickly he couldn't cover all the work he was offered. 

I’d not heard that but it 100% sounds true and much like Wright I reckon he’ll end up massively regretting it. 

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Wright has always seemed sound though. Richards appears to be an utter bellend.

I’ve listened to a few podcasts with Wright and when he doesn’t have to give a ‘headline’ every sentence he’s actually worth a listen. 

The clip of him with his old teacher sets me off every single time. 

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I’ve listened to a few podcasts with Wright and when he doesn’t have to give a ‘headline’ every sentence he’s actually worth a listen. 

Wright was a very good player and is now a very good pundit with a unique perspective on the current game.

Richards is neither of those.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

But this is the thing. That Monday night club is Rory Smith playing the straight man. Michah Richards playing the "I think everything is funny" role. And Sutton doing the "everyone is wrong including me". 

I think he just acts himself (smith)

I'd never heard him on anything else before and he always seems to know his stuff.

11 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I think he just acts himself (smith)

I'd never heard him on anything else before and he always seems to know his stuff.

Yeah, Smith is just a dullard journalist who thinks too much about football (which is probably his job) and takes himself a bit seriously. The other 2 play varying types of clowns.