You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mark Lawrenson

Bjornebye

• 3 years later...

Both he and Hansen were brilliant, ball playing centre backs, in my opinion and only Virgil and Joel Matip have come close to them for our club, and probably in the country.

As a pundit, he’s not the best, but there’s not much to beat out there and so he’s tolerable and has the kudos of being an ex-Red in his favour.

Pleased he’s recovering.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, coachpotato said:

Both he and Hansen were brilliant, ball playing centre backs, in my opinion and only Virgil and Joel Matip have come close to them for our club, and probably in the country.

As a pundit, he’s not the best, but there’s not much to beat out there and so he’s tolerable and has the kudos of being an ex-Red in his favour.

Pleased he’s recovering.

Years ago I used to think he was useless. This new generation of commentators are so bad, I don't think we realise. I watched something recently with him on (football focus maybe) and he was refreshing. Didn't take himself too seriously and clearly knew more than all those around him. 

As for his playing credentials. I completely agree. They were brilliant. The lawro's ability to play in so many other positions showed what a brilliant footballing brain he had. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sir roger said:

He was a bit cheesy , but compared to arrogant know-nothings like Jenas he was a master of his craft , and we were always 'we' to him ( unless we played Preston ).

I recently saw Jermaine Jenas on The One Show. He’s an even worse television presenter than he is a football pundit!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Pleased he’s recovering.

Recovering from what?

Lawro played the gobshite on bbc, but there was no malice to him. In some ways, his biggest crime was a great player becoming a clown to the younger generations. He seems like a decent bloke and he loves us. In an era of snide like Shearer and Rio, pompous knobheads like Jenas and utter idiots like Joe Cole, he was the annoying but likeable uncle.

Lawro will probably be eclipsed in our greatest eleven by Virgil, but in an era of outstanding centre halves, he was a candidate for a world eleven. Him and Hansen were possibly the greatest pairing I've seen. Maybe Nesta and Cannavaro might shade it but could go either way. They were beautiful together.

Delighted to see Matip getting some love above. A phenomenal player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Peter Cormack said:

Lawro‘s powers of recovery were amazing, he was so quick, t he number of times I watched him chase back and make clean saving tackles when a forward outpaced Jocky. If only he hadn‘t stood on the ball v wimbledon he would have played on into the 90s.

I was about to say something like this. I remember going as a kid and it was always Lawro who stood out as a defender because of his spectacular tackles. You never noticed Hansen in the same way, presumably because his positioning was superior.

1 hour ago, Peter Cormack said:

Lawro‘s powers of recovery were amazing, he was so quick, t he number of times I watched him chase back and make clean saving tackles when a forward outpaced Jocky. If only he hadn‘t stood on the ball v wimbledon he would have played on into the 90s.

Yeah, pretty much ended his career. I remember a First Division game when he was coming back from the injury. I think it might have been against QPR or some other no mark team?

He was clearly frustrated with the injury and just whacked the ball into the paddock as it was then. Loads started giving him dogs abuse because they thought it was a shite, lazy clearance but my mate shouted 'he's coming off because of his ankle you fucking eejits!'

To think Bob gave him his debut at left back but I think that was just to get him in the team.

On 17/10/2021 at 09:35, Ronnie Whelan said:

Lawro played the gobshite on bbc, but there was no malice to him. In some ways, his biggest crime was a great player becoming a clown to the younger generations. He seems like a decent bloke and he loves us. In an era of snide like Shearer and Rio, pompous knobheads like Jenas and utter idiots like Joe Cole, he was the annoying but likeable uncle.

Lawro will probably be eclipsed in our greatest eleven by Virgil, but in an era of outstanding centre halves, he was a candidate for a world eleven. Him and Hansen were possibly the greatest pairing I've seen. Maybe Nesta and Cannavaro might shade it but could go either way. They were beautiful together.

Delighted to see Matip getting some love above. A phenomenal player.

I don’t think Shearer is that bad. I like Ian Wright, he seems like a big fan of Klopp, the season we won the league you could’ve been forgiven for thinking that he used to play for us. 

3 hours ago, aRdja said:

I don’t think Shearer is that bad. I like Ian Wright, he seems like a big fan of Klopp, the season we won the league you could’ve been forgiven for thinking that he used to play for us. 

I don't mind Ian Wright because he's clearly so into the game in general. 

Shearer, however, is a complete fucking arsehole. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

I don't mind Ian Wright because he's clearly so into the game in general. 

Shearer, however, is a complete fucking arsehole. 

I think Ian Wright is a good person and enthusiastic about football,a fan but still not much of a pundit. Shearer is simply a shit pundit whose views change like the weather.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Ian Wright is a good person and enthusiastic about football,a fan but still not much of a pundit. 

Totally with you on that. To be honest I don't think any of them are good. It seems like the TV companies specifically go out of their way to either pick people who are terminally dull, or so dumb they probably still need help with spelling their own name.  

10 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Totally with you on that. To be honest I don't think any of them are good. It seems like the TV companies specifically go out of their way to either pick people who are terminally dull, or so dumb they probably still need help with spelling their own name.  

The Guardian have the best footy writers IMO; Jonathan Liew is fantastic, Barney Ronay is also very good, although he gives off a bit of metropolitan elite vibe. If they could translate it to the box then I reckon they’d be successful.