You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mark Lawrenson

Bjornebye

That is good news. He used to irritate me a bit but I’ve really warmed to him the past couple of years. Thought he was great at the World Cup, the idiosyncratic old curmudgeon.

I think the standard of the co-commentating has become so bad, we now realise lawro isn't that bad. I agree he was probably the best on the BBC this summer.

Happy for his recovery and as a player he was just incredible and always underrated when we rank some of our best players of all time.

I’m not taking the piss. I genuinely like him as a commentator as I think he’s hilarious. He gets a lot of shit from our fan base because he’s made a few negative comments over the years.

If you like him why not say so then. I think he's a pain most of the time as a pundit but he was a fantastic player for us and I am genuinely glad he's not about to die of cancer.

some similarities with Big Virg as was also record transfer fee for club and for any defender at the time. so both came in with massive expectations.

if Van Dijk achieves anything near what Lawro did that'll be some going. both Rolls Royce footballers, it's great to have that sort of class again at centre-back that can be mentioned in the same breath ability wise.

He’s dropped another absolute bomb on northwest tonight. He met the fella who emailed him to say he should get it checked and it turns out he’s a Liverpool fan.

Lawrenson said “it’s a good job he’s a red, if he was a blue he might not have emailed in.” Heads are falling off all over the show.

He’s dropped another absolute bomb on northwest tonight. He met the fella who emailed him to say he should get it checked and it turns out he’s a Liverpool fan.

Lawrenson said “it’s a good job he’s a red, if he was a blue he might not have emailed in.” Heads are falling off all over the show.

Brilliant

He was a superb player.I was only a kid when  he was playing but he sticks in my memory. I seem to remember him playing at left back a fair bit as well as at CB. He sticks in my mind more than Hansen does as he was a bit more all-action. He seemed to make loads of great tackles and interceptions and he just glided across the pitch.  

• Upvote 1

He was a superb player.I was only a kid when he was playing but he sticks in my memory. I seem to remember him playing at left back a fair bit as well as at CB. He sticks in my mind more than Hansen does as he was a bit more all-action. He seemed to make loads of great tackles and interceptions and he just glided across the pitch.

He played in midfield for Ireland, too.

Back when Ireland had McGrath, O'Leary, Moran, McCarthy, and Lawrenson available for two central defensive spots...