You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Things that make you proud to be British

Section_31

British pubs are the world's most overrated. You're lucky to find a stool at the bar, nevermind a patron or staff member who can hold an intelligent conversation...

I can't help but feel you're doing the whole 'pub' thing wrong

Stools shouldn't be there as they get in the way and a man stands at the bar unless he's a God forsaken heathen

Unless it's your local you should keep discourse with the patrons to a minimum and spend your time reading a paper/watching the footie/perving if on your own 

When you do end up talking to randoms they will either be thick as pigshit or amazingly knowledgeable never in between. The weekend gone I ended up talking to 2 or 3 complete mongs and a Professor of Modern Art at Warwick Uni. All completely random as it should be

• Upvote 3

Stools shouldn't be there as they get in the way and a man stands at the bar unless he's a God forsaken heathen

Unless it's your local you should keep discourse with the patrons to a minimum and spend your time reading a paper/watching the footie/perving if on your own 

When you do end up talking to randoms they will either be thick as pigshit or amazingly knowledgeable never in between. The weekend gone I ended up talking to 2 or 3 complete mongs and a Professor of Modern Art at Warwick Uni. All completely random as it should be

An American I knew thought dogs in pubs was the best thing he had ever seen. So much so he got a dog, well rented a dog, just so he could take it to the pub.

Bloke that ‘rented’ him the dog pretty much lived in the pub. So got to see his dog everyday, someone else fed it and he got £50 a week. Yank was on a 6 month contract here.

• Upvote 2

I rest my case!

(Incidentally, you from Coventry or thereabouts?)

American bars are ace.

I remember being in New Orleans and the girl running the bar on her own with about 50 customers was singing, playing guitar, remembering everyone’s drink and running everyone’s tabs. Whilst being probably the hottest girl I’ve ever seen.

America does have great bars, as Matty said though bars are different from pubs. 

Why? 

All countries have them.

Not with the history and tradition that ours does.

Bingo.

This tiny country that is an island in the middle of an ocean surrounded by the whole of Europe with the gigantic United States over the pond and our armies etc have such an incredible history over the centuries. The Navy especially has been a mighty force, the SAS are just plain scary and the Air Force has lots of fun in the air .

Makes me proud.

Real ale

The most completely diverse range of accents on the planet

Ross Kemp

The accents one is a very strange thing as I don't reckon non English speakers can even tell the different in the same way we can't tell say different German or Spanish etc regional differences and I am honest enough to say that I couldn't tell a Spain Spanish accent from an Argentine Spanish accent.

The winner is the NHS though.

Bravo old chap. Great post